• Maxiglide

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • Sedu

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • CHI

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • FHI

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • Other ( please post your favorite iron)

Votes: 5 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I tried the maxiglide / miniglide for the first time yesterday. Got the package deal from HSN. I can tell you I DETEST the smell of burnt smoky hair. The Maxiglide gave ZERO smoke, zero burn smell. Seems like a healthy option honestly. I have learned from LHCF and Youtube that the KEY to not frying your hair with direct heat (flat iron, curling iron) is to use it on clean dry hair BEFORE applying ANY oil or other product. My new stylist told me this as well after I told her how much I hate burnt hair. You SHOULD apply heat protectant first after drying (they all have silicones which supposedly is the excellent heat protectant) but the heat protect with silicones doesn't count as 'oil'.

So only flat iron on clean dry hair that has heat protectant applied, and don't use any oil sheen or oil of any kind until after you are done flat ironing. Zero burn/fry.

Sorry if you already knew that.. but I just learned it and find it to be true. Very interesting.

Glad you liked your Maxiglide. I'd never heard of it until a few days ago. I'm going to order the XP tomorrow. I was reluctant because I thought the steam would frizz my hair, being that water curls my hair. They have a trial on their website. I'm so excited, can't wait to test it out on my hair. Thanks for the all info on the Maxiglide ladies.

My 1st pic is my W&G (August '09), 2nd is rollerset with natural roots (Oct '09),3rd three days after ending my 1 year stretch by texlaxing ( Nov '09).

I can't see much of a difference so I guess I'll have flat iron my hair and do length checks once or twice per year.

I dread direct heat... any suggestions on how to do it myself without incurring any damage.

What type of iron is gentle but effective? What brand would you suggest? What heat protector is best? What is the lowest temperature that will staighten hair in one pass ?

I have a mixture of bonelaxed and texlaxed hair 3c/b fine hair.

I have never flat ironed my own hair so I need to :

1. Get a flat iron
2. Get some good advice from LHCF.

So will you help a fellow LHFCer out?

Wow, I was just doing a search on here last night looking for the exact same information. I dread direct heat too but want to flat iron my hair this weekend for a length check. Thanks for asking :)

This girl's techniques are darn near flawless I say. She didn't use the steam function but look at how she did everything from apply the heat protectant, to detangle, to use the Maxiglide in her hair. I'm impressed, to say the least :kneel:

One warning...she ain't Black :giggle:, but she sure knows how to use the tool, IMHO! :yep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HouCe5CvLY&feature=fvw

That's pretty much how I flat iron my hair, but she does it much much better I think. Only 2 passes per section! Talk about minimal heat (considering the use of a flat iron) and I see she uses tinier sections. Thanks for posting this! I need to bookmark this for future reference. Doesn't come out completely perfect, but I can see that the technique is sound.

This makes me want a maxiglide now. My wallet does NOT thank you! :lol:

edit: I just found a more recent video of hers, using a CHI. I think she's perfected her technique, using a comb to guide the flat iron in certain sections. The end result is more finished and polished I think.

Last edited:
^^^ I haven't straightened my hair yet, but I like how she got all of the hair outta the way and kept it outta the way w/o much of that "up and down the hair 20x thing so many do" w/ hands up and down the length, tons of prods, etc. I alwways work in small sections on anything I'm doing w/ my hair. Rarely do I deal w/ my hair fully "out" to avoid tangling. I love how she used such small sections for this. It takes time, but that's how you get results! :grin:

I'll check out the Chi vid, but I thought her hair looked great w/ the MaxiGlide. Mrs. BHF is eyeing one of those.

The $20 off coupon for a new customer is a :thumbsup: in my opinion. I broke down and got one myself. LOL...now will I use it? Dunno, but I suspect so at some point.

Maxiglide seems like it would work better for either relaxed hair and not natural 4b hair. It only heats up to 220 degrees.. Compared to Fhi/Chi that goes up to 410 degrees.

i found a website that says Maxiglide goes up to 430 degrees (but they don't recommend using that temp).

i own a FHI but i have to pass it through my hair several times to get it straight which equals more damage and it never really gets bone straight. i'm looking into getting a maxiglide for my hair and to see how long my daughter's hair is.

i think it'll work much better than the flat iron because of the comb/brush attachment that combs and straightens your hair at the same time.

i found a website that says Maxiglide goes up to 430 degrees (but they don't recommend using that temp).

i own a FHI but i have to pass it through my hair several times to get it straight which equals more damage and it never really gets bone straight. i'm looking into getting a maxiglide for my hair and to see how long my daughter's hair is.

i think it'll work much better than the flat iron because of the comb/brush attachment that combs and straightens your hair at the same time.

Cool.. I think I will try it also.

I've used the maxiglide, sedu and the chi.

The sedu got my hair bone straight with no life.
The Maxiglide gets me pretty straight (not as straight as I like it) with plenty of body... I only use the flat plate.
I got pretty good results with the chi... I think one pass Chi and one Pass Maxiglide would be the ultimate combo for me (my hair is highly textured).

ok ladies, you've convinced me. i just ordered my maxiglide. it comes with the mini-glide and conditioners. plus i used a coupon and got 15% off :grin:. Merry Christmas to me!!!! :lachen:

i hope it gets here in time (before Christmas) so that i can post pics of the results.

ok that was my break, back to studying :sad:

Maxiglide must be really good to get a stamp of approval from so many on LHCF,

Just saw a first time poster who got really good results on setting 3... now we talking.

OP: I just wanted to add that I think the biggest mistakes people make when flat ironing is using too much product, using large sections, using too many passes, and they hold the flat iron on the hair too long (if that makes sense). I feel there should be a constant motion when taking the flat iron over the hair, without stopping. You stop, you can get indentions and the heat is concentrated unevenly. The smaller the section you use, the less heat you most likely have to use, thus less damage, less passes, etc. I like the chase method personally, which basically forces me to keep it moving. Plus, the hair isn't heat fused together in clumps because the strands are separated. I can't recommend a good flat iron, as I am on the lookout for an upgrade, but I rarely flat iron. I do use a heat protectant, the Beyond the Zone Turn up the Heat, but I'm not a huge fan. I will be testing out the Chi Silk Infusion soon. I know there is a debate whether or not it's an actual heat protectant, but I'm inclined to think it is one. I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

Also, regarding the pictures...you said you can't see much of a difference between two of them, and I have to disagree. I think the second picture shows an increase in health for your hair.

Maxiglide seems like it would work better for either relaxed hair and not natural 4b hair. It only heats up to 220 degrees.. Compared to Fhi/Chi that goes up to 410 degrees.

i have a maxiglide mp & was very pleased w/ the results...i had it turned up to a 8-9 heat setting. anything much less than that would not work on my hair.

i believe the maxi will work for ALL hair types, b/c if it got mine str8, then it can get anything str8- roots included!:yep:

Question about the maxiglide. I see it has those little picks on it to detangle. Does that ever get caught in anyone's hair.Does it rip or pull the hair out. I am real nervous. I plan to detangle beforehand, but those things got me a bit apprehensive. It is between that and the hana elite flat iron thing 4 me but I can't decide. Ppl rave about both...

Question about the maxiglide. I see it has those little picks on it to detangle. Does that ever get caught in anyone's hair.Does it rip or pull the hair out. I am real nervous. I plan to detangle beforehand, but those things got me a bit apprehensive.

I'm dying to know this as well. I was also considering getting one, but I don't think I can manage the weight. :perplexed

Question about the maxiglide. I see it has those little picks on it to detangle. Does that ever get caught in anyone's hair.Does it rip or pull the hair out. I am real nervous. I plan to detangle beforehand, but those things got me a bit apprehensive. It is between that and the hana elite flat iron thing 4 me but I can't decide. Ppl rave about both...

I've found that the teeth only seem to snag my texlaxed hair only if I did not detangle the section properly or I'm pressing the plates together.

Even though it was my first time flat ironing my own hair I got the hang of it quickly and it did not rip any strands from my head.

It was quite easy and because I roller set (air dried) before I flat ironed, when I got the hang of it was easy to straighten in one pass after using the steam burst at the ends.

Below are shots of my (1) Wash and Go hair, my roller set hair (2&3) my Maxiglide results and what I used along with the Maxiglide. Keep in mind this was my first time and it got this straight on setting 1 .

Last edited:
I've found that the teeth only seem to snag my texlaxed hair only if I did not detangle the section properly or I'm pressing the plates together.

Even though it was my first time flat ironing my own hair I got the hang of it quickly and it did not rip any strands from my head.

It was quite easy and because I roller set (air dried) before I flat ironed, when I got the hang of it was easy to straighten in one pass after using the steam burst at the ends.

Below are shots of my (1) Wash and Go hair, my roller set hair (2&3) my Maxiglide results and what I used along with the Maxiglide. Keep in mind this was my first time and it got this straight on setting 1 .

Here is the link for more detailed info on what I did and more Maxiglide result pics http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=9660448&highlight=#post9660448

Thanks! I am real nervous. I would get it, but I am afraid it will pull my hair and I'll have a meltdown. How do you detangle? I detangle on wet hair after I come out the shower in small sections. After I plan to rollerset my hair in those sections and sit under the dryer for a lil . When I get it, it will be my first time flat-ironing like this. Would you recommend the same for the mini-glide ? What do you mean press the plates together exactly ? Sry 4 all the questions.

Happy to answer.

I detangle in the shower with a large seamless rake comb and lots of conditioner, rinse gently blot dry my hair and then section add leave-in conditioner.

Air dry hair completely then remove curlers and flat iron in sections.

The great thing about the package deal from HSN (besides saving $15-$20 and all the other extras) is that you get an instructional DVD that comes with it.

Last edited:
Back