Top 2 things I need to do to get to APL in 2010?

LadyRaider

Does anyone have some simple, direct advice for me? I've been at this for about 10 months, and I haven't seen THAT much growth. I had two "trims" and I think I've had about 1-2 inches growth. I'm okay with it because I've been enjoying my hair and the journey. But I'd like to make more length progress this year if I can.

I'm a little self-conscious about wigs/weaves, particularly wearing them to work. I am going to wear a wig four the 5 weeks of winter break, though!

Thanks for any help.

Thank you Jas. I think you are right about that. The first trim in April was probably necessary because my hair was VERY uneven. My hair on the sides is just getting back to the length of my longest point back then, BUT both sides are that length. I think the second trim was probably unnecessary.

Thanks! That's something I can do.

Last edited:
What helped me get from nl to apl 9 months was constant baggying and low maintenance hairstyles. I cannot stress how much those things helped. Plus conditioning. That's all i did

Thanks, Topnotch. I think I'm just getting the hang of moisturizing (and sealing) now. My braidouts/bantu knot outs are no longer hard.

Plastic, what were your low maintenance hairstyles? I don't think I can pull off a weave or braids. (Though I do think I will be able to in the summer when I don't work.)

-Exercise (to stimulate growth)
-Drink lots of water (to moisturize from the inside out)
-Deep condition (to infuse moisture into your hair)
-Protect your ends (do I need to explain why? :lol: )

Last edited:
^Oh, how could I have forgotten about baggying? It's the best :love3:

^Oh, how could I have forgotten about baggying? It's the best :love3:
yep... due to over protein/henna (too much of a good thing gone bad)) i had a setback; now i'm back to my original regimen (old skool) of baggy-ing which equates to mega moisture

I started this in Sept. and the baggy method and low manipulation styles are helping me retain my length. I work and I know what you mean about looking professional so I tye a silk scarf around my baggie, and rotate colors with my outfits. It has lessened the stress for me because there was a time when I thought I would not enter work without my press and curls:nono:. Now I baggy daily, swoop my ponytail up or low with a jazzy scarf:drunk:! You make it work, and when you eventually go back to your straight look eveyone will be amazed at your growth, especially you!:drunk:

Good Luck!

Low manip! I know that's my biggest weakness. Now that I have learned so much about my hair, I LOVE playing in it. Plus, my braid outs/twistouts always have to be done over each night because I don't yet know how to keep them nice Working on it!

There's always hair vitamins also. Right now I'm using Ultra Hair Plus. I'm on a strict vitamin regimin for the next 3 months. Hoping I can get at least get 2.5-3 inches in that time span. I really want APL by March or April, but I might extend it up to May or June.

sstevenson, I'm not understanding how you use the scarf and the baggying. You wrap the scarf around the baggie?

Stick to what works; if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Limit the experimentation, as that can lead to over manipulation.

Keep your porosity in check.

Scalp massages.

Protective styling.

sstevenson, I'm not understanding how you use the scarf and the baggying. You wrap the scarf around the baggie?

The best person to 'splain 24/7 baggying is Chicoro. Please check out her fotki baggy tutorial at http://www.fotki.com/chicoro123

I baggy 24/7. I gather my freshly moisturized hair is a low bun, place a plastic sandwich bag (not the ziplock ones) around the bun and place an ouchless band around the bag (so the ouchless band isn't around my hair) I take a smallish silk/satin colorful scarf to cover the baggy & still look professional while at work.

This is both low manipulation and very moisturizing.

It doesn't work out well for everyone. I've retained a lot and it helped Chicoro and Adrienne get to WL but Dlewis said she had lots of splits.

Does anyone have some simple, direct advice for me? I've been at this for about 10 months, and I haven't seen THAT much growth. I had two "trims" and I think I've had about 1-2 inches growth. I'm okay with it because I've been enjoying my hair and the journey. But I'd like to make more length progress this year if I can.

I'm a little self-conscious about wigs/weaves, particularly wearing them to work. I am going to wear a wig four the 5 weeks of winter break, though!

Thanks for any help.

That's important.:yep:

I think dc and protective styling.

Thanks, Topnotch. I think I'm just getting the hang of moisturizing (and sealing) now. My braidouts/bantu knot outs are no longer hard.

Plastic, what were your low maintenance hairstyles? I don't think I can pull off a weave or braids. (Though I do think I will be able to in the summer when I don't work.)

I wore cornrows straight back for a month then a bun for a week , cornrows then bun. After my hair reached APL I switched between cornrows, buns and plaits. All were done with no extensions ..I used glycerin and water and sprayed my hair all over .. and added extra moisture to the ends

Plastic,

I was trying to wear two french braids to work earlier in the fall, but I had issues with the crazy edges. I am transitioning and dang I'd never seen my edges boolly-woolly like that!:lachen: I am also going to try to use the winter break to learn how to use the ic gel!

Thanks so much for reminding me. I CAN do braids.

1-little to NO direct heat
2-wear your hair up as often as possible
3-DEEEEP condition
4-cardio exercise!!!

1. Read the avoiding setbacks 101 thread started by Irresistable

2. Be very careful detangling, esp being that you have at least 2 drastically textures happening.

When you are bunning, how do you take care of the front (well sides) of your hair? It seems that no matter where I put the bun, the tippy ends of my side hair are right there at the band/scrunchie.

Jamarraa, thanks for the advice. I have read a lot of concerns about the two textures. I'm just now starting to notice the tangling, etc.

Plastic,

I was trying to wear two french braids to work earlier in the fall, but I had issues with the crazy edges. I am transitioning and dang I'd never seen my edges boolly-woolly like that!:lachen: I am also going to try to use the winter break to learn how to use the ic gel!

Thanks so much for reminding me. I CAN do braids.

Lol yeh try some gel or even extra cheapie gel, wet them first ... smooth on the gel and then put on a scarf really quickly

When you are bunning, how do you take care of the front (well sides) of your hair? It seems that no matter where I put the bun, the tippy ends of my side hair are right there at the band/scrunchie.

Jamarraa, thanks for the advice. I have read a lot of concerns about the two textures. I'm just now starting to notice the tangling, etc.

Most of the time when i bun ... I either don't wear a ponytail holder. Only if i didn't comb my hair for like about a month and i need to flatten the ng. But invest in some head bands/hairbands... so you can wear your ponytail loose-ish but still have your edges flat. Just make sure the bands aren't too tight.

If you change how high or low you do the ponytail , will the sides still go in the ponytail holder ?

Back