Took out the weave, had a DISASTER after I washed. What did I do wrong???!!

Honey-Dip

So I wore my sew in 6 weeks, took it out tonight. Deep conditioned it for 30 min, got in the shower used Aphogee recon for 4 min, washed it out, used CON poo, wahed out, used HE HH and when I went to detangle, my hair was in knots. I want to cry just thinking about it. I lost SO MUCH hair untangling. Yes, I started at the ends,but the tangles were there as well. I used a denman and wide tooth comb. It took me forever to get through my hair. WHAT did I do wrong?? I have lost so much hair, my hair looks pitiful! :sad::look::nono::nono:

So I wore my sew in 6 weeks, took it out tonight. Deep conditioned it for 30 min, got in the shower used Aphogee recon for 4 min, washed it out, used CON poo, wahed out, used HE HH and when I went to detangle, my hair was in knots. I want to cry just thinking about it. I lost SO MUCH hair untangling. Yes, I started at the ends,but the tangles were there as well. I used a denman and wide tooth comb. It took me forever to get through my hair. WHAT did I do wrong?? I have lost so much hair, my hair looks pitiful! :sad::look::nono::nono:

all I can think of is it was the Aphogee, probably should only do moisture for a few days first when your hair has been hidden such as in a weave or braids

put lots of a nice natural oil in your hair overnight to help it recover more

Did you moisturize a lot when your hair was in the sew in? Did you wash and condition it much? Most people detangle before washing!

I'm no expert but i'm thinking you should have detangled before washing it. I'm sorry that this happened :perplexed

if i had to guess i would think it was the use of the aphogee AND the shampoo... and possibly even the order you used them in?

Not sure but looks like you sort of did things backwards. Did you detangle before washing? Then when you DC'd I imagine that was a moisturizing treatment? You then followed that with a protein treatment, which usually supposed to come before the moisturizing treatment. The protein would have made your hair hard. I don't like CON so not sure what role that played, but I don't think it'd penetrate your strands and provide the moisturizing necessary after a protein treatment. And not sure what HE HH is. Herbal Essence...HH?

I agree about detangling before you washed. The tangling is most likely the shed hair. The first time I had braids for 5weeks, I didn't comb before washing because I felt like I was losing too much hair. When I washed my hair tangled really bad and I just used regulare poo and conditioner. I sucks to hear this happened to your.

Ive had this problem as well in the past. I now literally take an hour after taking down cornrows to carefully comb out shedded hair and tangles. Its a little alarming to see all that hair come out but it has to otherwise it forms big knots.

Give your hair some tlc and it will bounce right back. Dont stress about it now...chalk it up to a live and learn experience.

YUPP...I was about to ask ...because I had the fiasco ...when I had braids in when I wanted to transition my way to natural and unfortunetaly my hair was soooooooo tangled and knotted its FST FWD my journey to big chopping my hair..What a mess it was....Honestly I thought that detangling a bit was sufficient and apparently it wasnt..I learned my lesson the hard way..hopefully you will be able to get rid of the knots with cold water and a silicone conditionner.

Did you detangle BEFORE putting anything in it, or after dc'ing, treating, shampooing, etc.?

You probably should have detangled FIRST then wet the hair-I;m sorry this happened:nono:.

yeah because then you had all the shed hair in there meshing more together and Nonie Called it on the order of the products you used too

Wow, I feel so stupid and my hair has just been yanked out. :sad: It was so bad, that I was getting a headache! No more aphogee for a LONG time for me. So, now I am thinking of just buying a wig, and having my hair cornrowed under it and having them done weekly by my sister. Do you think this would help to "protect" my hair and let it recover?

Wow, I feel so stupid and my hair has just been yanked out. :sad: It was so bad, that I was getting a headache! No more aphogee for a LONG time for me. So, now I am thinking of just buying a wig, and having my hair cornrowed under it and having them done weekly by my sister. Do you think this would help to "protect" my hair and let it recover?
Yes, detangle, shampoo, DC, then let your sister rebraid weekly. You'll be fine.:yep:

How did you recover from it?

It was only a minor setback, if memory serves me correctly, I got individual braids after that, or did a phony bun. Something with minimal manipulation.

First of all, I'm sooo sorry this happened to you! we've all had some sort of traumatic hair experience so we understand. i agree with everyone who said you're supposed to detangle the hair before you wash and condition. when you take down a weave its so important to gently detangle it, maybe adding a little oil for a little pliability while taking out each braid. detangle, then detangle gently again, then maybe gently brush the hair THEN wash and condition! i hope it all works out. i know its not comforting now, but your hair will recover.

I detangled after....was that backwards! I am so new to this!! :wallbash:

Yeah, when coming out of braids or sewins, you MUST detangle THOROUGHLY before washing. Otherwise the shed hair will cause matting that results in a hair detangling nightmare. I know of a sistah who wore braids, took em out, and jumped in the shower without detangling first - and had to BC - that's how matted her hair was. She was traumatized and never wears any kind of extensions anymore because of it. I'm sorry you experienced this. :nono:

Last edited:
Sorry haven't read through, but you MUST detangle before wetting the hair, infact I'd say detangle as you go along (so comb out each section as you take the cornrows out if not:pullhair:

Yeah, when coming out of braids or sewins, you MUST detangle THOROUGHLY before washing. Otherwise the shed hair will cause matting that results in a hair detangling nightmare. I know of a sistah who wore braids, took em out, and jumped in the shower without detangling first - and had to BC - that's how matter her hair was. She was traumatized and never wears any kind of extensions anymore because of it. I'm sorry you experienced this. :nono:

yes the same thing happened to me on more than one occasion 2yrs ago...causing major setback....ALWAYS detangle before doing anything, DCing, pooing, etc...i had to learn the hard way...I m not sure but i thought i asked this be made a sticky when it happened to a lot of members last year...bcos it seems like a lot of people dont know to detangle properly after braids/weaves b4 washing/ DCing.

How did you recover from it?

So sorry to hear about what happened. Everyone that said that not detangling before is the reason before the tangles, is correct. This happened to me years ago before I knew any better. The thing is that all the shed hair needs to be combed out prior to you washing your hair otherwise it will get tangled and matted.

Same thing happened to me. Knots, tangles, and dreads. Sorry you lost so much hair. So did I. Dont worry though. It was mostly shed hair. Next time DO NOT SHAMPOO until you detangle thoroughly. Detangle before you put water on your head.

Lady, hope that you'll recover with TLC:yep:, the ladies here gave you good advices!
The lesson are:
  1. Always detangle your hair well after braids with tons of conditionner or braid release product before washing !
  2. Never ever use "Aphogee treatment for damaged hair" directly after braids wait at least one week after releasing the braids, use it at the second wash after releasing braids!

HERE is A GREAT THREAD ABOUT IT:
>>>>>>How To Prevent Matting<<<<<< ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=90692

Last edited:
I would have detangled prior to putting anything on it. What I usually do is take out one braid, use a spray (water, infusium, avocado oil, and rosemary oil) to detangle each braid. Then I use a good creamy moisturizing condish usually Kenra, and coat the hair I detanged. If I had alot of new growth I would just rebraid it or twist it. And continue to do that with all the sections. Then sit under the dryer for 20 mins, then go in the shower and wash and condition, detangled with conditioner on it. I never have a tangled mess after that. If I dont detangle first that usually causes alot of tangling and breakage. Try this next time you should not have any problems.

You should have detangled before you deep conditioned. I use Kids Detangler by Soft and Beautiful...Then I wash and DC.

You can't just put water on just braided hair. Well..I suppose you can, but things like this happen.

---But also consider the fact that you had not combed your hair in 6 weeks because it was braided. So it could just be natural shedding.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Same thing happened to me last summer. I lost handfuls of hair...it took hours to detangle. Did you wash your hair in the shower or in the tub? I know the tub was the culprit for me. Oh BTW, i did condition for 30 minutes before washing, that new growth was fierce!!!

i agree that you should have detangled prior to washing. This happened to me earlier this year; the knots were horrendous! But def dentangle before you wash and prepoo with oils as well.

Back