Today marks 1 yr since my last relaxer...

LilChocolateMa said:
Get em girl! I am looking at your natural hair and I think it looks alot like mine, do you have a billion little tiny spirals???

Yeah lol some are bigger than others but it's all spirals.

I just love your natural texture. And although you may have thin strands, your TWA looks thick!:yep: You've made a lot of progress in one year, you'll hit your hair goals in no time.:D

Do you think wearing your hair mostly in weaves may have contributed to the thinness of your hair?

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Do you think wearing your hair mostly in weaves may have contributed to the thinness of your hair?

No it's just naturally thin. It's been that way my whole life. It runs on my dad's side. That's why I hated my relaxed hair. I didn't wear weaves in HS (except for prom and graduation) and it was still thin. I was at the salon every week and it was healthy.

Last edited:
Congratulations BMore!!! Your hair looks great! The contrast between the way it looked when it was relaxed and now, in its natural state, is remarkable! You achieved great growth in a short period of time. Just out of curiosity, what are your staple products?

naijamerican said:
Congratulations BMore!!! Your hair looks great! The contrast between the way it looked when it was relaxed and now, in its natural state, is remarkable! You achieved great growth in a short period of time. Just out of curiosity, what are your staple products?

Thanks NaijaAmerican! I don't really have staples I kind of use whatever's in my bathroom at the moment. :lol: I usually use nexxus therappe and humectress (which i'm out of right now and need to restock) and I use the ORS paks to DC once a week. I've dabbled with some leave ins (I like Cantu Shea Leave In but I don't use it often bc it gives me white head) and I like the blue fantasia gel. I use it on my wash and goes and when I slick my hair back. That's about it. I don't use oils or grease and I don't cowash.

bmoreflyygirl said:
No it's just naturally thin. It's been that way my whole life. It runs on my dad's side. That's why I hated my relaxed hair. I didn't wear weaves in HS (except for prom and graduation) and it was still thin. I was at the salon every week and it was healthy.

Do you remember what the salon did to get it healthy and by healthy do you mean they helped thicken it a bit?

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Do you remember what the salon did to get it healthy and by healthy do you mean they helped thicken it a bit?

No my hair never really thickened up. I just started seeing visible growth. It just looked better overall when I went back to my initial hairdresser who used to do my hair when I was a child. She had went out on maternity leave and decided to stop doing hair. So we switched to my grandmothers hairdresser. The new lady cut my hair in a bob in 8th grade that grew out fine. But that winter I had a coat that pulled my hair out in the back and had to get it cut again. It never really acted right after that so I kept braids for a while. I guess I was just putting a band aid on the problem. My hair hovered at the same length for a few years. A few years later my initial hairdresser started doing hair again out of her house so we started going back to her. That's when my hair started looking better.

I used to go every week and get a wash, set, and some type of style. I would get my hair relaxed and trimmed every 8 weeks. I had a short hair cut with the back tapered the summer before my junior year. I had some damage from braids that she wanted to cut out.

For a month straight after the cut she wanted me to come every week for treatment to strengthen my hair. Then after that I would just get the treatment when I got a relaxer. By the time I graduated it had grown back and was touching my shoulders. Once it started to grow out I usually would get my hair pinned up some kind of way (I used to get twists or french braids and a ponytail a lot) because she said it would help it grow out quicker. My mother grew out a short cut the same way a few years before that by getting her hair pinned up all summer. If I wanted my hair down, I would get a roller wrap to make it look fuller.

ETA: I think it's just the way our hair is. I just had a convo with one my cousins on my dads side last night (our hair is similar) and she said she has the same problem. Her hair is long and absolutely gorgeous. She said she recently got some cut off the bottom to make it look thicker and fuller. She had long layers and the longer her hair grows, the thinner it started to look.

Last edited:
Congratulations on making it 1 year! You hair looks very thick and healthy!!!!!

bmoreflyygirl said:
I thought I would be in braids for this update but I had to take those things out. :ohwell: Ahh well... I can't believe it's been a whole year since my mother bribed me (by paying for me to get my hair relaxed. I had been doing 6 month stretches only bc I didn't have the $ to relax my hair regularly) for Easter last year. And surprisingly I have about as much hair now as I did then. Of course it's healthier now. :)

For the first time in a long time I honestly feel like I'm content with my hair (now if we could just get past that shrinkage and thin hair thing :look:) and I don't feel obligated to keep it covered up anymore. Now I have the option to do so just like I have the option to wear my own hair proudly. It's been a long time coming but it was worth it.

I don't think I'll ever go back to the relaxer (should I decide to wear my hair straight I know it can be acheived pretty easily without being damaged). And I'll be damned if I chopped all my hair off for nothing. :lachen: I just wanted to say thanks to all the ladies here for their inspiration and support. If it wasn't for this board, I'd probably still be sitting here with thin limp shoulder grazing relaxed hair that's still the same length it was about this time last year. Thanks ladies!

Oh yeah here's some pics...

Relaxed hair 1 yr ago

117906622213_3300-vi.jpg

117904592773_3300-vi.jpg

117904665477_3300-vi.jpg

Natural hair 1 yr later - wet hair no product

pics010.jpg

pics016.jpg

pics014.jpg

There's more pics in my progress folder on fotki...

Congratulations on reaching one year without a relaxer! And it's great to hear that you are content with your hair and getting more comfortable wearing it out! :yep:

And your hair reminds me of mine... it looks thick but it's actually fine-stranded and densely compacted.

By the way, you are one pretty young lady!

Happy hair growing! :kissing:

Poohbear said:
Congratulations on reaching one year without a relaxer! And it's great to hear that you are content with your hair and getting more comfortable wearing it out! :yep:

And your hair reminds me of mine... it looks thick but it's actually fine-stranded and densely compacted.

By the way, you are one pretty young lady!

Happy hair growing! :kissing:

Thanks Poohbear! :kiss: You're right about our hair. Whenever I see your hair it reminds me of mines too. lol

Congratulations. You have made a great progress. Your hair looks healthy and thick, your hair is pretty. I have thin hair and that is one of the reasons why i am transitioning. Cant wait until i'm 100% natural.

bmoreflyygirl said:
Thanks Ms Twana... pssh you should see one of my shed hairs. :lol: They're really thin. Thinner than a piece of thread. I think the shrinkage makes it look thick like that. I guess that makes sense. All my hair is compacted together. I don't like twists on my hair either. They look spacey. UMBlessedBeauty your hair looks great. I can't wait til I have that much hair. :)

I just discovered that my daughter has REALLY fine hair like that. I had no idea until today when I warm pressed it to trim it. It was so fine it looked like doll hair.:lol: Now I know why her hair looks so thick curled up, but so thin when I braid or twist it.

Anyway, your hair is beautiful! I saw your siggy the other day and was like whoa! You've made some great progress in a year. It almost seems like yesterday when you started transitioning. Congrats on a great head of hair!

ETA: Looking at your pics again, that could be my daughter's head! You're right though, it is VERY easy to straighten, and it looks beautiful both ways.

Last edited:
bmoreflyygirl said:
Thanks ladies!! But looks can be decieving. My hair is by no means thick. :lol: My hair is fine/thin :( That's the other thing that bugs me about it. I thought it would be thicker after going natural but it's not. Still fine strands... At least it's not tangly though.

Your hair looks great!! You should feel good about it. Even though you say it is fine, it looks very full. Fine texture does not necessarily mean thin hair. It looks like you have lots of hair, enjoy.:grin:

Your hair looks great! Congrats on your 1 year anniversary. With your sense of style, I can't wait to see what you do with it once you start wearing it out!

Congrats on your 1yr anniversary! Your growth progress is great. I think you're suffering from hair anorexia because it looks pretty thick to me. Keep up the great work. :grin:

bmoreflyygirl said:
Thanks ladies!! But looks can be decieving. My hair is by no means thick. :lol: My hair is fine/thin :( That's the other thing that bugs me about it. I thought it would be thicker after going natural but it's not. Still fine strands... At least it's not tangly though.

Your hair looks very healthy. Keep up the great work, girl. Can't wait to see what next year brings for you. :)

I understand what you mean by looks being decieving, my hair looks thick, but it's medium. I can just barely wear twists without them looking spacey.

Wow Bmore your transformation is amazing. The natural looks so much healthier and "happier" than the relaxed hair. Congrats on making it a year!! :D. You have beautiful hair.

Back