To chicken to ask my stylist

HealthyHair

Can the cream used to base the scalp before a relaxer cause the relaxer to not take in certain areas if it gets on the new growth? My stylist bases very well and I always wonder if the cream protects my scalp from the relaxer isn't it possible for it to get on the new growth and act as a buffer between it and the relaxer?

smile.gif
when I touch up my hair my stylist will often apply the same thing to the hair that's colored as she does the roots. Sometimes she used a protein based gel too. It depends on what they have on hand. When I base myself I use Elucence Barrier Balm on my length and scalp. I only leave the new growth exposed. A little goes a long way. I have another balm I use too...Nappy something....it's jojoba based.

YES! My stylist told me DO NOT apply anything to my new growth before a relaxer (eg. Castor Oil, grease, vaseline), because it prohibts the relaxer from working thoroughly. She said its cool to apply it to the length and scalp, but just not the new growth.

BUT HOW CAN YOU ACTUALLY PREVENT IT FROM GETTING ON THE NEWGROWTH THOUGH?? AS HARD AS YOU TRY I DONT THINK IT'S POSSIBLE.

I think that even if the base does get on the newgrowth, it won't do much to stop all those chemicals from working. I mean, relaxer is some STRONG stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
kitty18 said:
I think that even if the base does get on the newgrowth, it won't do much to stop all those chemicals from working. I mean, relaxer is some STRONG stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I think too. My stylist always bases my scalp really well and my hair never comes out underprocessed.

Back