To Braid or Relax

Sha76

I need some help.

I just took my braids down last week ( they were only up for 5 weeks) but it has been about 4 months since my last relaxer. I don't know should I go ahead and relax my hair or just rebraid it. Note: Since I am going on vacation next month, I will have braids in for the trip to cut down on maintenance time.

I dont know what to do. so my choices are rebraid now. or relax now and rebraid in 4 weeks.

Any ideas??

Last edited:
I had this exact same dilemma a few weeks ago and I chose to relax, because I was stretching for the first time (4 month stretch) and after I took out my sew-in I was freaked out by the two different textures, shedding, and minor breakage. My hair was fine and back to normal once I got it relaxed, DC'ed, and recieved a routine trim. I probably wouldve stretched a little longer if I hadve been able to handle both textures a little better on my own, but I needed professional help. LOL

If your hair is in good condition after not recieving a relaxer for 4 months and you dont think you will have any adverse effects (breakage!!) if you continue to stretch, then you might as well just braid it back up, since you will end up in braids anyway. However, if you want to err on the side of caution, because your hair isnt used to you stretching your relaxer then you might want to go ahead and relax, wait a couple weeks and then braid it up for your trip.

Either way wishing you long, thick, and healthy hair!! :)

Are you still transitioning or just stretching your relaxers? If you're not protein sensitive, I would do a protein treatment, DC, and braid it back up in a few days.:look:

Are you still transitioning or just stretching your relaxers? If you're not protein sensitive, I would do a protein treatment, DC, and braid it back up in a few days.:look:

I am just transitioning to less straight as far as I figure as of right now. I haven't quite made up my mind. If I do relax it would be closer to texlaxed. But no I am not protein sensitive.

I will try to protein treatment and Deep condiitoner. But I dont even know where to start on either of those. Is a cholesterol Treatment a protein treatment or a DC.

If your intentions are to transition (whether now or eventual), I would suggest something less permanent--BRAIDS.

Last edited:
I'm just as confused as you. I have no clue what your end goal is. Are you transitioning to natural? If so, getting another relaxer won't aid that and is permanent. The less drastic measure here are cute braids.

Thanks Guy. I though about it all day and I decided to go with braiding. At least with the braiding as some of you said it is less permanent. Thanks so much

Cholesterol I feel is more of a DC than a protein treatment. I mix eggs, mayo, or avocado with mine to up the protein in it. Then there's always to aphogee 2 min which is a mild protein treatment.

Back