Thoughts On This Homemade Hair Growth Oil???

Guys, I can't get through my oil quickly. I'm still on my first batch!

Why can't we keep/use the oil for longer than 4 weeks again?

TIA!

P.S. I used the oil for my current twist out, underneath Design Essentials mousse. Twist out is nice and "juicy." :smile:

Guys, I can't get through my oil quickly. I'm still on my first batch!

Why can't we keep/use the oil for longer than 4 weeks again?

TIA!

P.S. I used the oil for my current twist out, underneath Design Essentials mousse. Twist out is nice and "juicy." :smile:

I've always assumed that CurlyProvebz suggested 4 weeks due to the fenugreek seeds. I'm sure if you leave those out, your oil would probably be extended to the expiration date of whatever oils you are using. @YvetteWithJoy

My oil is ready. I added some to my flax seed gel as well as my shampoo so this is how much I had leftover:

Not much left but I'm down to using it twice a week (wash day & midweek when I refresh my hair).

image.jpg

I immediately started a new infusion. This time I used a tablespoon of every oil I had. I hate choosing which one I'mma use in the batch since I love them all...so I just threw a little bit of each one in there. I'll let the oils infuse with my herbs and Indian powders until I'm finished with this batch...then add the seeds and MSM a day before I'm ready to use it.

I used my oil day before yesterday.....

I finally took my marley twists out and pre-pood w/ the oil under my heating cap for an hour or two...rinsed it out and washed my hair. I conditioned it and used the oil again over my conditioner and let that sit under a plastic cap for another couple hours then rinsed my hair. My hair was super soft and my curls were super defined. I just twisted my hair with a leave on and used my Green Magic to seal. When I took my hair out this morning, my twist out was the bomb lol! Unfortunately, with the rain, I just put it in a bun and wrapped some marley hair around my hair and called it a day. The first time I've tried this style and although I was scared the bun may fall off, I'm loving this. I may wear my hair like this all week!

Made my 4th batch earlier:

4 Tbsp Thyme Leaf (left over from brewed Tea Rinse)
4 Tbsp Flax Seeds
4 Tbsp Fenugreek Seeds
2 Tbsp Henna Powder
1/2 Tbsp Sulfur Powder
1/4 Tbsp Vitamic C Powder
4 Biotion Capsules
1 oz Castor Oil
1 oz Coconut Oil
1 oz Grape Seed Oil
1 oz Olive Oil
1 oz Avocado Oil
1 oz Hair Growth Oil

I place the infusion on the candle warmer for a few days then leave under my bathroom cabinet in a mason jar for a total of two weeks. I filter and add:

10 drops Peppermint essential oil
10 drops Lavender essential oil
10 drops Rosemary essential oil
20 'drops' Vitamin E oil

This will yield me over 5 oz of oil. I oil my scalp and coat my ends nightly. 4 oz lasts me 2 weeks this way.
I love that this process allows me to get rid of a bunch of stuff I just have laying around. I also love the tingle :love5:

Yesterday my colleague said that my hair is looking "so full" lately. :yay: I dunno if that's this oil or what but I'll take it. :lol:

I'm on my last bottle of the Xcel spray. I was going back and forth on whether or not to repurchase. I think I'm going to buy another bottle or two for the summer/warm months because I tend to wear more twist/braid outs anyway, so damp roots don't matter too much. I ended up only adding about an ounce or so of oil to the spray this time anyway. Right now I pretty much alternate the spray/oil mix and just the oil on my scalp each night and its working well.

I'm pretty sure my own oil infusions will be a staple for my hair from here on out. The Xcel spray, we will see if I repurchase when the weather cools down as I don't want damp roots for my fall styles.

Last edited:
Finally infusing my oil, will infuse for a week while I wait for my essential oils to be delivered. I used 2oz each of coconut, grapeseed and almond oil, 1/3 cup of fenugreek seeds, 2tsps each of neem and amla powder and roughly 1/8tsp of msm. When my oils get delivered I will add cedarwood, thyme, clary sage, rosemary and lavender.

Have you seen growth?

Made my 4th batch earlier:

4 Tbsp Thyme Leaf (left over from brewed Tea Rinse)
4 Tbsp Flax Seeds
4 Tbsp Fenugreek Seeds
2 Tbsp Henna Powder
1/2 Tbsp Sulfur Powder
1/4 Tbsp Vitamic C Powder
4 Biotion Capsules
1 oz Castor Oil
1 oz Coconut Oil
1 oz Grape Seed Oil
1 oz Olive Oil
1 oz Avocado Oil
1 oz Hair Growth Oil

I place the infusion on the candle warmer for a few days then leave under my bathroom cabinet in a mason jar for a total of two weeks. I filter and add:

10 drops Peppermint essential oil
10 drops Lavender essential oil
10 drops Rosemary essential oil
20 'drops' Vitamin E oil

This will yield me over 5 oz of oil. I oil my scalp and coat my ends nightly. 4 oz lasts me 2 weeks this way.
I love that this process allows me to get rid of a bunch of stuff I just have laying around. I also love the tingle :love5:

I made a small batch of the 4-ingredient oil + tea tree oil w/lavender. I heated all ingredients for about 10 minutes and strained. I'll add more msm each week. Hoping I have no reaction to the sulfur

I'm noticing my hair has a more natural shine to it now and my texture is softer.

After 1 month: (product free hair...I always airdry that way)

image.jpg

Today: (product free hair after air drying)

image.jpg

My regimen in general includes Ayurvedic powders, herbs, butters and this oil blend. So I know it's playing a role in the process. Growth is great but sometimes the other perks are great as well.

How do you avoid it tinting your hair? Is it because the oil is preventing penetration?

I use a coffee filter to infuse my powders into the oil.

image.jpg

Tie it off with a hair tie and throw it in the oil to infuse.

image.jpg

I believe this helps lessen the color effect...but I may be wrong. I do full blown henna and indigo treatments as needed to darken my hair anyway; so if I do get some color stain from the henna in the oil, I'm sure the indigo I use balances it back.

But honestly, I've never noticed a color change even before I added full henna/indigo treatments. I remember back in the day, I used to use Hairveda's Coconut oil for a few years and it was infused with henna and that didn't tint my hair either. Maybe in small doses, henna doesn't tint hair? All of this is just me throwing out ideas...as you can see I don't have a solid answer. LOL :lachen:

I have just enough oil to last a week or so. So I will let my new batch infuse until I'm out then I will transfer to smaller bottles and begin applying.

My batch did not go rancid and I infused for over a week and used started using in 5/2/2017. I got 7 weeks of use out of it.

I have not been using it to seal, only using on my scalp.

*(I prefer avocado oil alone to seal).

Back