Those who feel they'll neve reach their goals(me)

melodee

Those who feel they\'ll neve reach their goals(me)

I'm in this boat right now. I am thinking that my hair has stopped growing and that it'll never get past 23 inches. Of course, it is still growing, but I'm in an emotional rut. I was wondering if anyone could offer some encouragement or some of your success stories.

Re: Those who feel they\'ll neve reach their goals(

yeah, im pretty sure i'll never get TO 23 inches, much less past it!!

just like most of the good stuff in life, you gotta be patient...i bet by this time next year, you'll be feeling like your hair will NEVER reach the back of your knees!
laugh.gif

~T~

Melodee,
One thing I learned is not to stress over your hair. When you stop thinking about it so much you will notice the growth eventually. I am sure it is still growing. As long asyou are seeing new growth it is growing. Keep your head up. Remember no stress.
smile.gif

Funny, I was just going through a rut myself. My hair has been growing at a steady pace but I've suddenly become impatient with it.
It may have something to do with this new girl I've been hanging around. She has gorgeous waist length locks! And thats when they are curly. I can only imagine how long it stretches out when she straightens it! Anyway, it the most beautiful healthy looking hair I've seen in a while. Soooooooo, of course I've been moping about thinking "I want my waist length hair now!!!!!"(like a kid).
grin.gif

lthomas1 is right. Just need to stop obsessing over it and let nature take its course!

Melodee, just let your hair do it's own thing!
smile.gif
Believe me it's growing - maybe you should put it in braids or twists and leave it alone for a while. When you take them down you'll definitely see new growth. Watching hair grow day-to-day is like watching a kettle boil so don't worry about it too much, it'll get there!

Are you retaining the growth that you have though? What kind of styles do you usually have?

[ QUOTE ]
Shatani said:
yeah, im pretty sure i'll never get TO 23 inches, much less past it!!

just like most of the good stuff in life, you gotta be patient...i bet by this time next year, you'll be feeling like your hair will NEVER reach the back of your knees!
laugh.gif

~T~

[/ QUOTE ]

That is so sweet..
smile.gif
lachen70.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif

Melodee,

I feel like I go through this everyday. I think "WOW, I'm soooo close to bra-strap."
king.gif
clap.gif
. THEN (for example this past week) I think "Man, I'm nowhere near bra-strap."
frown.gif
wallbash.gif
. Then I get into a mood where I don't want to even deal with my hair. I'm just
ill.gif
of it.

THEN, bada boom I wash it and I look at myself in the mirror and I say "Hey what's another year and a half of waiting if I can possibly have beautiful hair like blue flower, Iris, Kha, and many others."

So I say all this to say - keep your chin up and you'll get through it
smile.gif

NGC,

What is that little darling thing in your signature? It's cute. Melodee, I'm searching for a thread that I did about a year ago for Nessa and I'll put a link in when I find it...

By the way, we've all felt this way, and it seems that these are the times right before we notice great progress.
smile.gif

Re: Those who feel they\'ll neve reach their goals(me)

[ QUOTE ]
melodee said:
I'm in this boat right now. I am thinking that my hair has stopped growing and that it'll never get past 23 inches. Of course, it is still growing, but I'm in an emotional rut. I was wondering if anyone could offer some encouragement or some of your success stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, take it from me... what Jamaicans termed a "dry head pickney" as a child! YOU CAN DO IT!!! I am a living witness as is my daughter. Look at our pics... neither of us ever had this length in our life!!! BE encouraged! My daughter's thread Check my album and you'll see both our haircare journeys.... WE CAN DO IT!!! Your hair is growing anyway, so focus on preserving the growth that you're getting....
smile.gif

I'm with you. I wonder sometimes if I have reached my maximum lenght and if making any effort is just futile. But then I look at the albums of some of the women her and I realize it is definitely at least worth the try! Nothing to lose.

hey mel... this may be a little short and to the point: redirect your focus to having healthy hair, not longer hair......if your scalp is healthy, the hair will grow....and so what if it never reaches a certain length....at least it will be healthy...i am realizing that a lot of people pay just as much attention to healthy hair as they do long hair...you will reduce a great amount of emotional stress and confusion in your life.....FOCUS ON HAVING AND MAINTAINING HEALTHY HAIR...
smile.gif
smile.gif

My hair has been at the base of my neck since before I joined this board. It is more healthy than ever but, no new length.

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
hey mel... this may be a little short and to the point: redirect your focus to having healthy hair, not longer hair......if your scalp is healthy, the hair will grow....and so what if it never reaches a certain length....at least it will be healthy...i am realizing that a lot of people pay just as much attention to healthy hair as they do long hair...you will reduce a great amount of emotional stress and confusion in your life.....FOCUS ON HAVING AND MAINTAINING HEALTHY HAIR...
smile.gif
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so right on the money! I told myself that I am going to give this growth thing a go (and do all the right things to preserve the length of my hair) but that, if by some twist of genetics, I do not get to my goal, I will at least have healthier hair. I am giving it about a year and a half (for the length part) and a lifetime (for the health part). It really is not worth the stress (will it grow to there?, when?, how many more inches?...Oy!). I personally feel that if I don't see growth in the time I've allotted, I will totally shift my focus to healthy hair. It is not giving up, but working with what I've got.
smile.gif
And besides, a watched pot never seems to boil, does it?
wink.gif

Everyone has to realize that your hair is not going to be long overnight.... It takes a great deal of patience. On average, hair grows 6" a year.... If your hair is at your neck's nape, you can't expect it to be brastrap before the year is over... at least not most folks... definitely not me. I think it is possible. Neither myself nor my daughter were born with long hair. This is the longest our hair has ever been. Preserve what you have. Focusing on healthy hair is a good thing, because with health usually comes length. I say this because healthy hair doesn't need trimming. No trimming equals more accumulated length. Hang in there... YOU CAN DO IT!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
auntybe said:
My hair has been at the base of my neck since before I joined this board. It is more healthy than ever but, no new length.

[/ QUOTE ]

Auntybe, are you saying no new length since at least October 2002? You've always been at nape length? What is your regimen? How often do you trim?

Lady if that is you in that avatar you and your hair are absolutely gorgeous. Please share your regimen and then you can continue to sulk about not reaching your hair goals!

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
NGC,

What is that little darling thing in your signature? It's cute. Melodee, I'm searching for a thread that I did about a year ago for Nessa and I'll put a link in when I find it...

By the way, we've all felt this way, and it seems that these are the times right before we notice great progress.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey SG!
She's a Yorkie! 3 lbs
smile.gif
and a little stinker
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DahomeyAhosi said:
Lady if that is you in that avatar you and your hair are absolutely gorgeous. Please share your regimen and then you can continue to sulk about not reaching your hair goals!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm co-signing... Abainaa has nice hair!!!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
NGC said:
[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
NGC,

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey SG!
She's a Yorkie! 3 lbs
smile.gif
and a little stinker
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I always wanted to get another one, but I don't know where They are so expensive...Teacup, right? OK, I better start that topic somewhere else....

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
Okay, I found it:

Here ya go!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a great post...thats why I love this board...
smile.gif

Melodee I've been kinda in a rut too, my hair looks worse to me now than ever even though I continue to get compliments on it. I think part of it now is that I have a new perception of healthy hair. Seeing all the healthy hair albums and success stories on LHCF have let me know that I have a ways to go and now that my perspective is different what used to be good enough isnt acceptable anymore. I see flaws that others dont see. (Not to measure up to an impossible standard of length but just health and sheen in general.) Like Supergirl said in the post she made, my hair has baggage and I have some issues to take care of and grow out. I think I will get there though and you will too!

I'm surprised I didn't post on this thread earlier...I'm sorry to hear about your rut. What all these ladies said are very true...and focus on healthy hair b/c with healthy hair comes longer hear. I've cut my hair so many times, I know what's coming when I get stuck in a rut and I know it's best not to worry about. Soon enough you'll be looking at your hair and thinking how did I get here so quickly?!

[ QUOTE ]
AJamericanDiva said:
[ QUOTE ]
NGC said:
Hey SG!
She's a Yorkie! 3 lbs
smile.gif
and a little stinker
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I always wanted to get another one, but I don't know where They are so expensive...Teacup, right? OK, I better start that topic somewhere else....

[/ QUOTE ]
Hijack!

Hi AJD,

They can be expensive. I got her from a very reputable breeder who also got her from another reputable breeder along with her brother. She was too small to use for breeding so I got her for a lower price.

She was worth the price though.

Okay - back on topic
smile.gif

Back