This is one of those "lightbulb" moments.

Aviah

SOOO...
I don't straighten my hair often because my hair seemed to be heat-sensitive. As a relaxed head I didn't notice and it seemed no big deal, I just noticed my hair was thin- but that didn't bother me.

Now natural, I wanted to flat-iron less often because I noticed I had heat-damaged ends.I would flat iron on very low because I was afraid of it. This time around I could not find my Tresemme Heat Defence Spray, so I took a risk. I sprayed Fantasia IC hair gloss on my hair, which is mostly silicones, because I heard that most heat protectants were silicone-based anyway. I used higher heat than usual and touched it up this week 2x.:blush:

I just washed with a clarifiying poo...
and ALL my curls came back, even the ones I thought were gone from heat damage, it was really weird! I was looking through my conditioner slathered hair for the straight pieces and could not find them, when they are usually VERY obvious:drunk:.

Was my old heat protectant simply CRAP? Or did my clarifying shampoo have something to do with it?:look:

Either way I think I'm ditching Tresemme for regular old silicone!
(I think):look:

I use chi silk infusion which I think is a serum also I use got2b blowdry lotion. I have the ic fantasia heat protection spray which I hate. I think b/c it's watery is the reason it makes my hair feel so dry & hard when using to blowdry. I feel serums make the hair feel better when using heat imo.

I use Giovanni Frizz Be Gone serum before I flat iron. I've only tried a couple spray heat protectants and they both left my hair in a terrible state. I don't do sprays.

i dunno. throught my transition i used two heat protectant sprays and a serum and din't have any heat damage on my new growth. ♥

I've been using serum for about 5-6 months and i haven't had any heat damage. I'm transitioning and my kinks come back just fine. I think serum is the best form of heat protectant because it's protective and has cones, which locks in whatever you put on it before. In the past i've used thin creams and a spray which was rubbish, it just wets your hair.

good for you

i've had horrible heat damage. i'm too scared to rock the boat. i use serum with silicones then heat protectant with even more silicones after. i want as much protection as possible.

Do all these heat protectants mentioned have silicones? I need to be sure that the silicone is what is protecting it, as my serum isn't labelled as a heat protectant.

My first thought is that this time you actually clarified thoroughly. Maybe the other product was still coating your hair and moisture was not getting through to rehydrate your strands to make the curl bounce back. If your hair was truly heat damaged, nothing would be able to bring it back from that.

i can't do sprays....the alcohols kill my hair. i damn near fried my hair when i sprayed chi iron guard on it, but i can use chi silk infusion (serum) just fine. that is my staple, but i like how the old sabino kept my hair from swelling in the humidity. i may buy some more, but since i don't usually wear my hair straight when it's hot out, i may just stick with what i have.

as a side note, doing a protein treatment before straightening and another when i go back to curly hair seems to help my curls stay nicely defined and ward off heat damage.

also, i ALWAYS had to clarify after using sabino because it kept my hair soooo straight. if i tried to just cowash, my ends would still be a bit straight.

My first thought is that this time you actually clarified thoroughly. Maybe the other product was still coating your hair and moisture was not getting through to rehydrate your strands to make the curl bounce back. If your hair was truly heat damaged, nothing would be able to bring it back from that.

This might be very true, however I have clarified before and my ends have not "come back" like this. I though heat damage was irreversible myself- unless like you say, I never really had it in the fist place. Not sure what the straight pieces on the ends of my hair were- since last summer at that!

i can't do sprays....the alcohols kill my hair. i damn near fried my hair when i sprayed chi iron guard on it, but i can use chi silk infusion (serum) just fine. that is my staple, but i like how the old sabino kept my hair from swelling in the humidity. i may buy some more, but since i don't usually wear my hair straight when it's hot out, i may just stick with what i have.

as a side note, doing a protein treatment before straightening and another when i go back to curly hair seems to help my curls stay nicely defined and ward off heat damage.

This one has no alcohol, I can't use those either-way too drying. I guess I will keep trying this serum as protectant thing, as I read that the silicone is the main ingredient in most of them. I was just wondering about long-term effects as that was not its intended purpose...

redken heat glide
pm super skinny
smooth n shine serums(all have coooonnes)
and i use aphogee l.i. and/or keratin and green tea restructurizer(before blowdry)

I use fantasia IC (pink one) it really smooths my ends out and i love that i get no heat damage!! :) great product...two thumbs up!

Yeah, any serum with cones will protect your hair from heat, reduce frizz, etc. That's why I don't understand why people avoid cones.

It's interesting that the curls came back, though.

I use chi silk infusion which I think is a serum also I use got2b blowdry lotion. I have the ic fantasia heat protection spray which I hate. I think b/c it's watery is the reason it makes my hair feel so dry & hard when using to blowdry. I feel serums make the hair feel better when using heat imo.
I got bad results with Got2b

also, i ALWAYS had to clarify after using sabino because it kept my hair soooo straight. if i tried to just cowash, my ends would still be a bit straight.

That's really interesting. I usually clarify after heavy cone use too. I don't know what to make of it but I'll take it ( I really hope I'm not hallucinating here or something:look:).

Back