This is my story.

Chocolatelove2010

Hi everybody, I'm new to the site and only joined today. I must admit I have been so fascinated with everybodys achievements here, and I am truly inspired. So I'd like to share my story with you, and in return would love to have some tips.

As a child I was often told my hair is difficult to manage, and requires hardwork. I was lazy, so that led to years of me neglecting my hair. It's only been recently I've started to really take care of my hair and I've seen a big improvement. I don't hot iron, and I oil regurlarly. I'm still a newbie to what are the best products out there... and I would LOVE for you guys to help me out.

P.s I just took a pic of my hair quickly - like 5mins ago lol. So you can see what I'm working with... (it's my avatar) Thanks for reading. Oh, and I'm just picking up on abbreviations i.e NL = neck length etc. Please if you use an abbreviation, just put what it means in brackets. Sorry, I'm new to this.

Last edited:
welcome!

well honey, it looks like you have some length....so you're doing something right! why don't you start by giving us your regimen (ie what products you use and when)? that will help a lot!

welcome to the forum!
I don't have that much "hair knowledge" seeing as Im sort of a newbie myself

Hey! All you hair VETS out there, come in and welcome the newbie!!!!!!

Thank you ladies.

@ lilsparky 825 - This is going to sound silly, but I used to wash my hair like a white girl. I'd wash it every other day, and have curls. I wouldn't comb it because I liked the curls but that would just end up damaging my hair. Also I realised I was low on iron, and other supplements. So I improved my diet. I just started combing more frequently (lol) and I oil my hair every night. I just use Olive Oil. That's about it really.

@ D. Lisa - Thanks hun... lol same. Hopefully the older members can teach us both :)

do u ever use a moisturizer or just the olive oil?
how does your hair FEEL?
How are your ends?

PS black women wash their hair every other day and have curls too....

@ Whimsy - A friend suggested it to me that it's better for black females to leave the moisturiser in for longer, and to not wash it so frequently so you can give the scalp time to absorb it. And that helped me... lol. So I think it works

With the Olive Oil, I feel my hair is sometimes too oily that's why I'd like to perhaps try a different product. My ends are ok, could be better... I'll go for a trim once I achieve more length. *fingers crossed

Thank you ladies.

@ lilsparky 825 - This is going to sound silly, but I used to wash my hair like a white girl. I'd wash it every other day, and have curls. I wouldn't comb it because I liked the curls but that would just end up damaging my hair. Also I realised I was low on iron, and other supplements. So I improved my diet. I just started combing more frequently (lol) and I oil my hair every night. I just use Olive Oil. That's about it really.

@ D. Lisa - Thanks hun... lol same. Hopefully the older members can teach us both :)
Honey that is NOT washing your hair "like a white girl"....I cowash (wash with conditioner only) every day....:look:

So how often do you wash your hair now?

@ Lil Sparkle - I don't think I made myself that clear lol. When I say wash.. I mean wash wash. Like Shampoo etc. But yeah I condition my hair every other day, and wash wash every 7 days.

@ Lil Sparkle - I don't think I made myself that clear lol. When I say wash.. I mean wash wash. Like Shampoo etc. But yeah I condition my hair every other day, and wash wash every 7 days.
Ok, I get it....you were shampooing every other day? Well you're right, I *personally* wouldn't recommend that, but then again, my hair hates shampoo anyway. I have to do ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinses. We have a few members who shampoo frequently as well....they say it really helps remove product buildup.

What are you shampooing and conditioning with?

At the moment I'm just using TreSemme...

Oh I forgot to mention I use Aloe/Vitamin Night time Oil treatment at night, and do 2 loose plaits. I never used to do anything before I went to sleep so I think that's really helped...

So you wash once a week with Tresemme, condition every few days with Tresemme as well (do you deep condition, or just leave it in a few minutes in the shower?), then seal with oil and plait your hair.

You already have a good basic regimen. Most of us, I would say, came to the board with no knowledge of sealing the moisture in with oil, especially EVOO (olive oil), so you are doing well.

What's in the aloe/vitamin treatment thingy? How do you wear your hair during the day?

lol I'll just tell you what the label says

''It's a miracle light oil treatment enriched with Vitamins A, D, E and Aloe. It's better than a hot oil treatment specially for dry, frizzy hair.''

I wear my hair usually in a bun. I've been tempted to add extensions but I've seen some serious damages the 'glue' and the track have caused friends.. so I stayed clear from it.

@ Whimsy - A friend suggested it to me that it's better for black females to leave the moisturiser in for longer, and to not wash it so frequently so you can give the scalp time to absorb it. And that helped me... lol. So I think it works

With the Olive Oil, I feel my hair is sometimes too oily that's why I'd like to perhaps try a different product. My ends are ok, could be better... I'll go for a trim once I achieve more length. *fingers crossed

Glad it worked for you!! Maan, everyone's different. Co-washing, which is washing with conditioner instead of shampoo is doable every day and your hair stays moisturized because you follow of course with moisturizer and seal. Well, at least mine does and the people on the board who co-wash do.

I'm not one for putting moisturizer on my scalp to be absorbed, but if it's workin for you and your friend i'm glad to hear it.

I would suggest finding a moisturizing product that's not an oil, perhaps a moisturizing leave in condishie and then you can just seal lightly with an oil.

Glad it worked for you!! Maan, everyone's different. Co-washing, which is washing with conditioner instead of shampoo is doable every day and your hair stays moisturized because you follow of course with moisturizer and seal. Well, at least mine does and the people on the board who co-wash do.

I'm not one for putting moisturizer on my scalp to be absorbed, but if it's workin for you and your friend i'm glad to hear it.

I would suggest finding a moisturizing product that's not an oil, perhaps a moisturizing leave in condishie and then you can just seal lightly with an oil.

Yeah everybody is diff lol,

Thanks. I will definitely look into that...

This is exactly what I came in to suggest. Maybe you could leave a smidge of the Tresemme conditioner in after you cowash (which is what it sounds like you are doing), then after it dries a bit, add the oil to the ends.

Welcome to LHCF! You are off to great start, you look about APL (armpit length) in your avatar :yep:. Ladies gave you some gave you some great suggestions. Are you relaxed or natural?

Last edited:
I think that you might start with some products that are frequently mentioned here and particularly the ones that are readily accessible.

If you have a Sally's near you you probably can't go wrong with the Aphogee Line.

If you have a Trade Secret near you you can't go wrong with the Joico Line.

If you have a CVS near you you probably can't go wrong with the ORS Line (Organic Root Stimulator) but just some of the products. ORS Replenishing pack and the Creamy Aloe Shampoo.

If you want to do it natural try EVOO and/or EVCO (extra virgin olive oil and extra virgin coconut oil.

HOpe that helps. Just never ever use pertrolatum or mineral oil products unless they are present in the product in very minute amounts.

P.S. I've never seen prettier "difficult" hair....very nice.

Back