Thinking Ahead

inthepink

Since I'm such a planner, I've been thinking about what I plan to do to my hair once I reach 2+ years of transitioning. I have been thinking of my options.

Plan A - Transition at least 2.5 years and then have relaxed ends removed leaving me with a very blunt even all the way around haircut.

Plan B - Transitioning for 2 years and then have hair cut into a layered look which would allow me to keep a lot of my length in the back and front but would get rid of the relaxed ends at least making it easier for me to style my hair. Then gradually get rid of the layers if I choose, too.

There are pros and cons to both, of course. Some days I am just looking forward to having my all natural hair even if it's layered and other days, I just want to transition as long as possible to have even hair. I know I will wait AT LEAST 2 years before doing anything drastic.

Anyways, I have a few pics of the style I am considering at the 2 year mark, should I choose to cut and go for the layered look. It would similar to the twins hairdo from the url below. Take a look and tell me what you think.
Tia and Tamera

I think their hair looks very cute
smile.gif
and if you can wear your hair naturally curly like that then go for it girl

I sitll havent found a way to work it out to wear my hair out and naturally curly where i feel comfortable with it. theirs looks adorable though...it doesnt look really layered to me though.... but I know they damaged it with all that straightening they were doing for a while
ohwell.gif

I think out of the two options , i would say to not to go for the layers unless that is the look you want to keep for a while , otherwise you will be working at getting rid of the layers later. just wait and cut all the relaxed hair off bluntly is my advice. but of course you have to do what you feel comfortable with in the end.
smile.gif

Their hair looks awesome! I wouldn't go for the layers either. I've been dealing with layers for almost three years now and they are hard to get rid of unless you you get an even haircut. But that also means losing length. I would go with Plan A just to get rid of the relaxed ends for good. At least you wont' have worry about having to grow anything else (relaxed hair, layers, color) out.

A year ago I would have said forget the layers...but after Adrienne's encouragement I decided to stop worrying over my layers..cause the longer they got the better I liked the way my hair looked. Although I am texturized...but am now transitioning to natural again...I still love my long layers... I would never get lots of layers again...but I think long thick layers give my hair more of a lush look...at least for now(my shortest(top) layer is just above my shoulders.) You could always trim the relaxed ends and leave the layers....work with it a little ...then if you still want to...go for a blunt cut. Just take your time about it.

Hi Hairlove, I think the twins picture & style would look great on you although I think they are now texturized because when they were natural in the beginning of Sister Sister they had a tighter curl to their hair.

I say go for a layered cut, because a) our hair naturally grows in layers b) blunt cuts with curly hair end up making your hair look bigger and sometimes gives you "triangle head" any stylist worth their salt who knows about curly hair will give you layers for your curly hair, the shortest layer should at least be at nose length for a cute not squarish or super roundish shape to your hair.

HTH

If you go for the layers, you may want the shortest layer to be chin length (or a little lower). You don't have to have a thousand tiers of layers in your hair, but more than 3 will make your hair look thin and will be hard to grow out. 2 slightly tapered layers (which appears to be what they have) work well if you've never had layers before and this should be how much you start with. That way if you decide it's not for you and you'd rather have a blunt cut, you probably wouldn't have to cut more than 2-3 inches off to achieve it.

[ QUOTE ]
Boadicea said:
If you go for the layers, you may want the shortest layer to be chin length (or a little lower). You don't have to have a thousand tiers of layers in your hair, but more than 3 will make your hair look thin and will be hard to grow out. 2 slightly tapered layers (which appears to be what they have) work well if you've never had layers before and this should be how much you start with. That way if you decide it's not for you and you'd rather have a blunt cut, you probably wouldn't have to cut more than 2-3 inches off to achieve it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly right. I would only want about 3 layered sections. Continue to grow it for that last year that would have been me transitioning and if I decide I hate the layers, go ahead and even out the layers (losing 3 inches of length) which would put me in the same spot as I would have been if I had just continued transitioning.

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
Hi Hairlove, I think the twins picture & style would look great on you although I think they are now texturized because when they were natural in the beginning of Sister Sister they had a tighter curl to their hair.

I say go for a layered cut, because a) our hair naturally grows in layers b) blunt cuts with curly hair end up making your hair look bigger and sometimes gives you "triangle head" any stylist worth their salt who knows about curly hair will give you layers for your curly hair, the shortest layer should at least be at nose length for a cute not squarish or super roundish shape to your hair.

HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

Ms kenesha - I had wondered the same thing...when they were first on tv, their hair was very tightly curled and super thick. I do not think my curl pattern is as loose as their texturized hair so it may not look exactly the same, of course.

I do agree about the chunky triangle cut that I'd get with a blunt cut so your thoughts are insightful, thanks.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
blue_flower said:
Their hair looks awesome! I wouldn't go for the layers either. I've been dealing with layers for almost three years now and they are hard to get rid of unless you you get an even haircut. But that also means losing length. I would go with Plan A just to get rid of the relaxed ends for good. At least you wont' have worry about having to grow anything else (relaxed hair, layers, color) out.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought is that I would keep the layers for a year and then blunt cut if I want to. I do hear the complaints of growing out layers. But also, I've never had layers and it's almost like this is my only change to have them.

I guess it's growing out layers vs. transitioning an extra year. Which is easier to deal with on a daily basis?

I'm still open for more opinions! I will be saving this thread to keep me going for the next 10 months when I do reach 2 years!

Oh, I forgot to mention, I think you (Hairlove) said in an earlier thread that your hair grows in whatever shape it's cut. So growing out layers may be even easier because as the top layer grows more (moving down) you can have a longer blunt cut if you decide you don't want layers any more.

I have layers, but the back grows twice as fast as anywhere else (and three-four times faster than the crown) so it's hard to catch up, sometimes.

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
I think their hair looks very cute
smile.gif
and if you can wear your hair naturally curly like that then go for it girl

I sitll havent found a way to work it out to wear my hair out and naturally curly where i feel comfortable with it. theirs looks adorable though...it doesnt look really layered to me though.... but I know they damaged it with all that straightening they were doing for a while
ohwell.gif

I think out of the two options , i would say to not to go for the layers unless that is the look you want to keep for a while , otherwise you will be working at getting rid of the layers later. just wait and cut all the relaxed hair off bluntly is my advice. but of course you have to do what you feel comfortable with in the end.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Iris, if you look at the very last picture on the website, you can see that the front of their hair stop about chin length while the rest of below shoulders. They are very long layers that blend in really well. But of course, they are stars so they have the best stylists!

I love the layered cut. That is how I eventually want to wear my hair.

You have the patience of Job, Hairlove...if you can hang in there as long as you have, you can hang in there a little longer. Do you girl...it will be beautiful eaither way.

Here's another one of my hair inspirations. There is no password to her website so I hope it's ok that I'm posting it here. She has a layered do that she seems to just keep letting grow as it does.

layered curly hair inspiration

The second picture is my guess as to how my hair might look - or maybe a little bit longer in the back layers.

Some negatives I have thought about having the layered look is that I probably wouldn't be able to do twistouts/braidouts very well b/c of the layers.

But if you do the big chop to 1 inch or so, don't you still have layers b/c your hair naturally grows that way? You'd still have to keep cutting your hair in order to have it even.

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Here's another one of my hair inspirations. There is no password to her website so I hope it's ok that I'm posting it here. She has a layered do that she seems to just keep letting grow as it does.

The second picture is my guess as to how my hair might look - or maybe a little bit longer in the back layers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daaannnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg...her hair is STUNNING!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
My thought is that I would keep the layers for a year and then blunt cut if I want to. I do hear the complaints of growing out layers. But also, I've never had layers and it's almost like this is my only change to have them.

I guess it's growing out layers vs. transitioning an extra year. Which is easier to deal with on a daily basis?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be easier to grow out layers. I just think it would be more of a pain to grow out layers and transition at the same time. When I was transitioning my intention was to cut a little here and there so that I could still have length. But dealing with the two textures was a pain and I told myself that this whole thing could go faster if I cut ALL of the relaxed hair off. Just get it done and over with. When your natural hair reaches shoulder length (probably by the end of the summer) it would be great to cut all of the relaxed ends off and get layers. Just my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
blue_flower said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be easier to grow out layers. I just think it would be more of a pain to grow out layers and transition at the same time. When I was transitioning my intention was to cut a little here and there so that I could still have length. But dealing with the two textures was a pain and I told myself that this whole thing could go faster if I cut ALL of the relaxed hair off. Just get it done and over with. When your natural hair reaches shoulder length (probably by the end of the summer) it would be great to cut all of the relaxed ends off and get layers. Just my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is my whole point. Cut off the relaxed ends in a layered fashion the way my hair grows. Otherwise, my hair would be shoulder length all the way around whereas if I do layered, I can save some of the back length and have hair that is below shoulders, too. Since hair grows in layers - meaning my crown reaches my ears while the hair in the back reaches past my shoulders - cutting all the relaxed ends off, I'd automatically end up with a layered do. Thus, no more transitioning....just growing out layers if I choose to. I would never just layer my hair partially and continue transitioning! That sounds like a serious pain!

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
Their hair looks great.

Do you think you can get their look without the layers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Allandra, the purpose of getting the layers is to get rid of my relaxed ends and deal with my natural hair only. So, it's not that I'm just going for the look...it's more that it's a look I could get with my situation.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
Their hair looks great.

Do you think you can get their look without the layers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Allandra, the purpose of getting the layers is to get rid of my relaxed ends and deal with my natural hair only. So, it's not that I'm just going for the look...it's more that it's a look I could get with my situation.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Her hair is GORGEOUS, she has a fotki album, too. I have her as one of my friends I think, I'll check and post it.
smile.gif

*ETA: Her Fotki Album

Thanks ms kenesha. I think her layers look wonderful...even as she's letting her hair grow.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the maintenance of layers? For instance, how do you get a hairstyle to trim your hair in the same layers every time?

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:

[/ QUOTE ]

GIRL!

MidniteCurls is one of my inspirations!!! Her hair is the absolute BOMB!!!
trampoline.gif

I think layers would look fine on you but don't get too many tiers as mentioned previoulsy.
smile.gif

i cant even think of the word "layers" without a shudder. It was such a pain to get my hair all one legnth...but i did work them layers though, while i had them , but since they were due to damage and breaking, I hated them ...alot!!!

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:

[/ QUOTE ] she has beautiful hair, im sitting here wondering if she wishes she could grow out her layers, cause thats kinda how my hair looked, all at the crown it was shorter and it bugged me...she is workin the layers like she wants them though
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Thanks ms kenesha. I think her layers look wonderful...even as she's letting her hair grow.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the maintenance of layers? For instance, how do you get a hairstyle to trim your hair in the same layers every time?

[/ QUOTE ] thats exactly the part that is the big pain , in keeping ALL of your ends healthy and making sure the hair dresser lifts it all and trims correctly.

Back