Thinking Ahead

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Thanks ms kenesha. I think her layers look wonderful...even as she's letting her hair grow.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the maintenance of layers? For instance, how do you get a hairstyle to trim your hair in the same layers every time?

[/ QUOTE ] thats exactly the part that is the big pain , in keeping ALL of your ends healthy and making sure the hair dresser lifts it all and trims correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah ok. I am sure I'd find that frustrating b/c I hate split ends. I even hate now for a stylist to just trim me straight across. I like a section by section trim. Thanks for pointing this out.

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Thanks ms kenesha. I think her layers look wonderful...even as she's letting her hair grow.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the maintenance of layers? For instance, how do you get a hairstyle to trim your hair in the same layers every time?

[/ QUOTE ] thats exactly the part that is the big pain , in keeping ALL of your ends healthy and making sure the hair dresser lifts it all and trims correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah ok. I am sure I'd find that frustrating b/c I hate split ends. I even hate now for a stylist to just trim me straight across. I like a section by section trim. Thanks for pointing this out.

[/ QUOTE ] Girl you have to do whats right for you , but i know with my hair it looked thinner with the layers. also my hair dresser did lift and trim all those years but that area (crown) still seemed to struggle along cause he could never straight trim it right without another blunt layer in that area. and then girl, one day my ex bf saw me doing my hair and said "let me see" and as he was messin with my hair he picked up some scissors (you know i trusted him to let him even touch it with scissors , he had (has) beautiful hair) he took my whole crown area in between his fingers, and cut it straight across, i screamed lol (I DID NOT know he was gonna cut that dang much) I just about died...BUT he said that was the last of the relaxed hair and it had to go and now it would do better , tryin to get me to not be upset....well , all i can say girl he was right.... after it was all off, and i had two different legnths(like shelves), it was hard to do ANYTHING WITH IT....but i'll be dang if that area didnt finally start to grow out and gradually reach the same legnth as the rest of my hair...to me thats proof of how important it is to keep every area of your hair trimmed very well...so after what i went through, i would be leary of maintaining layers, at least for my hair from what i went through....i know i would end up with the straight across cut on them layers again anyway
laugh.gif
, because the moment i couldnt reach them for a trim or they werent trimmed properly they would struggle

if you can be patient and get all your natural hair to a point where you feel comfortable wearing it all natural.... i say wait and do the blunt cut and get ALL of the relaxer off everywhere first. then later see if you even would want to experiment with layers, at least you know there wont be any struggling relaxed ends hanging on then , might be easier to grow out later than with any layers with even the slightest bit of damage, splits or relaxer on them (of course this advice is solely based on the fact that my relaxed hair did not grow though, or show legnth cause of splitting and breakage, i should say) there is no point in saving that bottom layer of longer hair if it will look thin without the bulk of the rest of your hair...or you could do the choppy look like i did and just wear it up all the time like i did lol....ok i know im rambling now,

but girl, your hair looks great just as it is, you dont even need to do layers cause its ALL growing just fine..., your hair looks great as is, so you could transition like forever (unlike my struggling hair) so dont even worry , by the time you reach this time frame your talking about, im sure you will know just what you want to do

You've been given great opinions Hairlove. But whatever you decide, your hair will still be beautiful!!

My hair is natural and grows in many many layers. All of it is about the same length (in inches) but the hair at the crown of my head stretches to the bottom of my earlobe whereas the hair in the very back stretches to my shoulders.

It seems that now that my hair is longer, the front of my hair is growing faster so that it can catch up to the hair in the back.

If I do decide to blunt cut my hair, it won't be until my hair in the front is shoulder length. However, I would be saddened to cut the hair in the back because it would probably be midback.

-Ebony

I think it depends on the look you want. If you want to wear your hair curly most of the time, I prefer layers. A blunt cut just makes the hair look like a pyramid - not pretty! But make sure you cut long layers to prevent the shorter hairs from shrinking too much. My hair looks like the twins hair and the shorter it is, the more it shrinks. The longer the hair gets, the less it shrinks.
If you'd rather wear your hair straightened most of the time I'd prefer a blunt cut or a cut in a V-shape.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
smile.gif

I edited to add that naturally curly/coily hair can *look* layered even if it is not: the curls shrink differently every day and it's normal for the ends not to look perfectly even. But when you stretch the curls out/down they can in fact be even. Curls and coils are a mystery!

[ QUOTE ]
FlowerHair said:
I think it depends on the look you want. If you want to wear your hair curly most of the time, I prefer layers. A blunt cut just makes the hair look like a pyramid - not pretty! But make sure you cut long layers to prevent the shorter hairs from shrinking too much. My hair looks like the twins hair and the shorter it is, the more it shrinks. The longer the hair gets, the less it shrinks.
If you'd rather wear your hair straightened most of the time I'd prefer a blunt cut or a cut in a V-shape.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you maintain your layers? My plan is to wear my hair curly most of the time. The pyramid look does worry me a bit b/c I don't think I'd like that bulky look too much. How do you go about keeping your ends healthy? Did you start off from a very short cut?

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Here's another one of my hair inspirations. There is no password to her website so I hope it's ok that I'm posting it here. She has a layered do that she seems to just keep letting grow as it does.

layered curly hair inspiration

The second picture is my guess as to how my hair might look - or maybe a little bit longer in the back layers.

[/ QUOTE ]

GIRL!

MidniteCurls is one of my inspirations!!! Her hair is the absolute BOMB!!!
trampoline.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see why she's one of your inspirations SVT. Your hair looks just like hers
smile.gif

Back