Thinking about Washing Natural Hair

pbuckley

for the first time by myself. Any advice??? on the 31st of this month I will be 1 year relaxer free. I have been cutting off the relaxed ends as my hair grows and I have a short bob right now. I have not touched my own hair in this past year. I have gone to a Dominican Salon every two weeks for blow outs. I believe I am 4a/4b but I'm not sure. I have been bringing my own products to the salon so I have been using Jane Carter Solutions and I plan to try Kinky curly on my hair tonight and just see what happens. I'm a little scared b/c I work in corporate America, but I choose today because I will go and get it done tomorrow afternoon so If it looks a hot mess then its only 1 bad hair day. Any suggestions, products, styles, etc?

Speaking from experience, I say stick with what you know for a work day. Leave the experimenting for when you have time to fix it. Dealing with your natural hair for the first time can be .... an experience. My advice is to stick with the products you know (for now) and to section your hair when washing since you likely have a good bit of hair. And congrats!

I second that... SECTIONING is a big key to avoiding breakage and getting it all clean.
I wouldn't do anything new until a weekend or break

I agree with the other ladies. For your first time and the middle of the week, and experimenting, and KCCC that is way too much.

If you are getting it done tomorrow, why wash it. Shampoo and/or condition your hair on the weekend when you have more time to look at it and see what your hair is really like.

Sectioning is a very good way to go. Durring my transition I used to braid my hair and then wash it. This made detangling a non issue (Thanks Noni).

Aww thanks ladies, I decided to wait. I will take all of your advice and will probably wait until this weekend and see what happens.

Thinking about Washing Natural Hair - updated w/ pics

Ok ladies! did it! Washed last night -
Shampoo with Jane Carter Solutions
Conditioned with Kinky Curly Knot today
I tried using the gel by Kinky Curly and it helped define my curl pattern in some area's but I also have 4 or 5 inches of relaxed ends hanging on so I ended up doing twist with rollers on the ends and slept that way and here's the end results. It's BIG! MY hair is really thick though.

I had no problem with combing with my K cutter though and I don't think I lost that much.

Any pointers? I also have no clue what my texture is defined as any help with that?

Attachments

• Single Strands for Texture.jpg
    Single Strands for Texture.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Side of head Texture shot.jpg
    Side of head Texture shot.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Back of head.jpg
    Back of head.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 16
  • No face with flower.JPG
    No face with flower.JPG