Votes: 62 72.9%
  • Don't give up, Platinum!

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey Plat!

Have you planned out what styles you would like to wear after your bc?
If you are going to just braid up your natural hair, I say just wait on the bc: Clarify, protein dc, moist. poo, moist, dc with peppermint oil and evoo, and then acv rinse. Then do a search and destroy, wait until your hair is not as tender, and get large box braids that you can rock in a cute bun for a few weeks. Then, you can continue to p/s in braids for a bit more :yep:.

Have you considered chopping this early for a while now? Or is it only because of the frustration that you've felt the past few days with your two textures? Sorry I hope that makes sense. Basically I just don't want you to BC out of frustration and then regret it.

Perhaps you should sleep on it. But if you know in your heart it's time, then it's time.

Haha what a long non-answer!

Thank you. I've been considering the BC for a while. My initial goal was to BC at 12 months but when I noticed I had a possible chance of making APL by Dec., I decided to continue transitioning. The frustration isn't from the 2 textures per se, the main reason is for the style options that I have at this point. During my transition, I have spent the majority of the time in Senegalese Twists. I decided to get a sew-in the other day but that didn't work out for me. If my scalp wasn't so sore right now, I would probably go to the braid shop first thing in the morning and get the ST's again. (I love that style!)

So now I'm noticing split ends and shedding. My relaxed ends look so pitiful again my thick NG.:sad: I started thinking that now is a great time to BC. I'm afraid of looking like Florida Evans once the shrinkage sets in though.

Here's a pic of me in the Senegalese Twists.

Attachments

• drivesmile.jpg
    drivesmile.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 41
LoL at the Flo Evans comment... But why don't you just BC and get the Senegalese twist. You have more than enough hair. I understand the BC can be a bit daunting but if you are going to cover it up soon what's the harm?? Plus the twist look so pretty on you. I am at my 1 year mark too and I was gonna go until December. But heck no!!! I can't do it. So I am gonna cut in June and get a curly weave.

P.S. NEVER ask a man should you cut your hair. Most men would rather you have 2 WL strands on your head than cut it.

LoL at the Flo Evans comment... But why don't you just BC and get the Senegalese twist. You have more than enough hair. I understand the BC can be a bit daunting but if you are going to cover it up soon what's the harm?? Plus the twist look so pretty on you. I am at my 1 year mark too and I was gonna go until December. But heck no!!! I can't do it. So I am gonna cut in June and get a curly weave.

P.S. NEVER ask a man should you cut your hair. Most men would rather you have 2 WL strands on your head than cut it.

So true @ the bolded!:lachen::lachen: Thank you for the compliment and suggestion. That sounds like a good idea, BC then do the twists.

BIG CHOP! BIG CHOP!! BIG CHOP!!! :)
If for now length is a priority trim the unhealthy ends and continue protective styling.
but really with the length you have now...you can do sooooooooo many cute and flattering styles! you can hook your hair up with some eye candy and wear some cute earrings...twists, wash n gos, blow out, bantu knots... be free :)

As much as I am dying to see you natural, try to hang in there if you are not at your new-growth goal length. Get some braids when your head feels better...I'm about to do some crochet braids on myself this weekend...

Girl let those scraggly ends go! You got enough to make a FIERCE puff (which is the litmus test of BC'ers worldwide, haven't you heard? :grin:)

CHOP IT - then post pics STAT. :look:

I say chop. You came a long way and your hair has grown out it's healthy and beautiful. You have already decided to go natural so go for it.
Congrats on great growth!! ;-)

Well Plat, you know my situation. I took down my ST and I was ready to let those ends go. I became comfortable with the idea of having a short do since it's how I have been mostly wearing my hair anyway. I agee with a previous poster, BC and then get your twists if you're not ready to wear it out. But you see the length I have after BCing (13 mth transition) and I don't think I look like Florida Evans.:lachen:

Maybe sitdown and make a list of the pros and cons of BCing right now. I do know that I am really happy I did mine!

Good luck.

Thank you Ladies. I just took a pic of my hair and this is what I'm dealing with at the moment. I have some shrinkage and I'm trying to stay away from the flat iron since I'm seeing split ends.

Platinum, you have a lot of NG. I say just do it!! As far as styling and such, take it one day at a time. You have the biggest resource right on here on this site.:yep:

Just do it girl!

Now come on girl.....You know what I'm gonna say and that's to don't give up....However, doing a BC is not a setback either....
When I transitioned for 10 months bantu-knots and knot-outs were my friend...Do that for a couple weeks after a good wash/DC and trim! Then after 2-3 weeks of this low-manipulation/rest...go back to braids or a weave you can wear a month or so.....this is just a little hitch in the road...Not a set back, or anything unusual...Your relaxed hair is going to break because its weak...there is no getting around it...

Another alternative is to have someone do some (non tight) cornrows with your hair and rock a wig for a week or so....Just keep the ends of the cornrows moisturized....
When transitioning and in the early stages of my BC, I learned to not obsess about how I looked.....When I let that go, I noticed APL and now almost BSL literally creeped up on me 18-22 months post BC....

BTW you have plenty of NG for a BC. Don't be afraid and go in FAITH! Plus, with the right products and regimen, your BC result will look fierce....If you hate it...throw it up in braids! You just need a couple weeks rest.

Last edited:
I'm sure you Ladies are probably tired of me by now :giggle: but I have conditioner in my hair and I'm still trying to decide whether to chop or say forget it for now. This is one of the hardest decisions I have had to make since I started my HHJ.:wallbash:

It looks to me you've got 6-10 inches of new growth, or more, if stretched out. I see,with those ends and thick hair. You could shingle it up with shea, puddings etc. if you b/c. I hate to recommend to anyone to chop but you've got a good amount of growth that you'll have options if you did.

It looks to me you've got 6-10 inches of new growth, or more, if stretched out. I see,with those ends and thick hair. You could shingle it up with shea, puddings etc. if you b/c. I hate to recommend to anyone to chop but you've got a good amount of growth that you'll have options if you did.

Thank you. I believe I have 3-4 inches of NG (I'm a slow grower :sad:) but have a pic that I took almost 3 weeks ago of my hair after blowdrying.

Attachments

• blowout at 50 weeks post.jpg
    blowout at 50 weeks post.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 29
Here's a pic of my hair after a wash. Notice the shrinkage.:perplexed

Attachments

• shrinkage.jpg
    shrinkage.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 31
Don't BC, just switch up your style. Or do a small trim like 1 inch...that could make a difference and lesson your frustration.

I switch up styles...this week its buns which is soooo easy.

I say chop it off....Bt that is just what I would do ...well did...But you have to be comfortable with yourself and your hair....I actually am loving my shortness and it is growing so fast I am already missing my TWA and I still have one...I am sure you will make the right decision for you and the health of your hair..Just take your time and think about what you really want to do...

Just BC girl...its about to get hot...that's the best time to be natural. I know you don't want to deal with those two textures all summer. If you don't like the length you can always get braids later (No pressure)

I don't it's worth it hanging on those relaxed strands. Cut it off and see what you would be working with. If you don't like it, you can get a weave, a wig or braids.

CHOP IT OFF!! CHOP IT OFF!!! CHOP IT OFF!!! You have enough newgrowth and plus you are tired of dealing with the 2 textures.

If you aren't ready to BC don't do it! But I am sure, No 100% sure you will be relieved and happy you did it! But do what makes you happy!

UPDATE:

I just grabbed the scissors and started clipping. I should be sleeping because I have to hit the road in a few hours. I'm not going to lie. I'm scared! I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about BC'ing. I really wanted to wait and try to make APL but after cowashing, my ends started to tangle and stick together like velcro. I want to cry but I feel like I may be doing what's best for my hair. I'll keep you updated.

UPDATE:

I just grabbed the scissors and started clipping. I should be sleeping because I have to hit the road in a few hours. I'm not going to lie. I'm scared! I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about BC'ing. I really wanted to wait and try to make APL but after cowashing, my ends started to tangle and stick together like velcro. I want to cry but I feel like I may be doing what's best for my hair. I'll keep you updated.

YAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!:dance7: Congrats, girl - and WELCOME to the "Natural Diva" club!!!

Back