The Weaves techniques and tips thread pt.II

First off, I'd like to thank dontspeakdefeat for starting this thread about a year or so ago. Is anyone else wearing sew-ins or learned of any new techniques?

Here is the original discussion...
http://longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=95131&highlight=weaves

I am aware that there are plenty of other discussions on weave going on, and I'm definitely going to take another look at those, but I still wanted to get all the updated information in one place.

So here are the questions that dontspeakdefeat asked in the original thread...

What is your favorite technique?

What other techniques have you used in the past? Did it work well for you?

What type of hair is your favorite to use for weaves and can you reuse it?

What techiques do you know about that you may share that others may not know about but may want to try?

What braid patterns do you use for a natural looking sewn in?

Any other information you would like to share.

Hopefully some of our LHCF weave masters will step in!

Thanks in advance!:grin:

What is your favorite technique?
For my sew in at the end of this month, I'm doing a net weave. I will be leaving out a side part, some nape hair, and edges. I'm also cornrowing my hair going towards the back (vertically).

What other techniques have you used in the past? Did it work well for you?
Back in the day, I had others do my sew-ins and they would often braid horizontal, which I found puts a little more stress on the hair and also makes the install lumpy.

What type of hair is your favorite to use for weaves and can you reuse it?
I will be using hair from wagmanhair.com. The hair is Indian Remy hair and they get great reviews at another forum. I also like that their wefts are thin but strong, so they can be cut without having to worry about sealing. And the thin wefts give a smooth install. Wagman hair, like most Remy hair, can be reused. I hope to get at least a year out of the hair, since I will wear it on and off.

What techiques do you know about that you may share that others may not know about but may want to try?
The reverse weft is something I heard about at another hair forum. It's great for curly installs with leave out in the front. It gives a VERY natural appearance. It's also great for those who plan on using individual braids for their leave out hair, since with the reverse method, you don't have to worry so much about the weft showing.

The reverse weft is best to do on the last two wefts next to your part/leave out hair. Instead of sewing the weft with the hair facing down like you normally would...you flip the weft upside down and sew it on "backwards". Then you flip the hair back over, so that it's covering the weft again. It's kinda hard to explain, but in the end it looks as if the hair is coming from your scalp. It only works best on curly hair because it will leave an unnatural hump when done on straighter weaves. With this method you can leave out a lot less hair at the top, and with curly installs, it makes it look natural since the hair looks as if it's growing out then down (which is generally what curly hair does naturally).

What braid patterns do you use for a natural looking sewn in?
I'm with others who say that braiding your hair towards the back gives a very smooth install. Also, using a net makes the install much smoother.

Any other information you would like to share.
Using a net puts a lot less stress on your own hair. The downside is that it makes it harder to get to the scalp.

Back