The Weaves techniques and tips thread/ Why all the Mystery??

From the website Remyhairtoday.com:

Why does other human hair and store bought hair not last as long as our hair?

To begin with the hair looks nice; but it has been coated with silicon to add shine and body to the hair. However, after a few washes the silicon layer starts to wash out. Then quickly the hair becomes duller and loses its sheen. It becomes brittle and dry. It starts to break down. The cuticle originally covered by the silicon will become exposed which causes tangling and matting with your own hair . Every wash will worsen this condition. What you are then left with is acid treated Asian hair. (Asian hair is what is commonly sold in hair shops) That's why this hair does not last long.

Remy hair has its full cuticles intact giving it a more natural look, feel, movement, versatility and a longer wear life! Our Cuticle hair is not chemically processed in any way, leaving the cuticle layer of the hair in place. The result is a more natural looking hair for any type of hairstyle.

For my next sewn in I am thinking about trying this site. I have been looking into it for a while and I have seen good reviews.

http://www.remyhairtoday.com/

They seem to be very hands on with their product and they seem to care about the customer a lot. Another thing, their hair is more affordable than other sites I have visited.

Quote:
Why does other human hair and store bought hair not last as long as our hair?

To begin with the hair looks nice; but it has been coated with silicon to add shine and body to the hair. However, after a few washes the silicon layer starts to wash out. Then quickly the hair becomes duller and loses its sheen. It becomes brittle and dry. It starts to break down. The cuticle originally covered by the silicon will become exposed which causes tangling and matting with your own hair . Every wash will worsen this condition. What you are then left with is acid treated Asian hair. (Asian hair is what is commonly sold in hair shops) That's why this hair does not last long.

Remy hair has its full cuticles intact giving it a more natural look, feel, movement, versatility and a longer wear life! Our Cuticle hair is not chemically processed in any way, leaving the cuticle layer of the hair in place. The result is a more natural looking hair for any type of hairstyle.

what is really messed up about some of these hair shops is ...now they are lableing horrible silicone hair as Remy..this is what happned to me 2 weeks ago..i tried to venture out and try other types of hair other than my trusty ole remy hair i normally buy..and it was a terrible! that crap was anything but remy..i had to take that hair out asap..it was a waste of my time and money! i complained to the store owner..but he just acted to be sooo shocked...gimme a break! so ladies be very careful of hair being marked as REMY..it could be a fraud..

dontspeakdefeat said:
For my next sewn in I am thinking about trying this site. I have been looking into it for a while and I have seen good reviews.

http://www.remyhairtoday.com/

They seem to be very hands on with their product and they seem to care about the customer a lot. Another thing, their hair is more affordable than other sites I have visited.

nice site..i like her fotki album..she shows a detailed "how to" weave section...very cool!
pretty basic braid pattern also..

dontspeakdefeat said:
The rubberband weave sounds like the same concept of knot stitching/malaysian technique. The base is created by knotting off hair and the weft is sewn onto the base creating a very flat weave.

What type of rubberbands were used? Where the bands double or tripled or were they small enough to just put on and hold?

I am def. interested in trying this technique.
Hey dontspeakdefeat, regular old black rubberbands were used (one at a time), but like I said you have to be CAREFUL while putting them on, and use moisture..But I really think that the pantyhose kind would be better if they were small. I wasnt worried too much about the rubberbands because after the weave was sewn in, they would start popping on their own, but EVERYTHING would stay in place...

MsLepe said:
Hey dontspeakdefeat, regular old black rubberbands were used (one at a time), but like I said you have to be CAREFUL while putting them on, and use moisture..But I really think that the pantyhose kind would be better if they were small. I wasnt worried too much about the rubberbands because after the weave was sewn in, they would start popping on their own, but EVERYTHING would stay in place...
Thanks. I am going to try this on my dummy.

Alli77 said:
Will do! On my way to the BSS this weekend to pick up some cheap hair!

And please take pics...I'm trying to imagine it in my head and still can't understand how the weave wouldn't slip out or at least move around:confused: :confused: I'm a little dense. I'd love to understand this better.

Oh good ole DSD! Thanks for sharing your technique. I was wondering though, should each rubber band connect vertically or horizontally so that the base is more secure?

It's actually very secure if you don't cut the rubber bands. Remember the thread is taken through the hair and some of the band base.

I don't see how you could connect them. Maybe MsLepe knows.

dontspeakdefeat said:
It's actually very secure if you don't cut the rubber bands. Remember the thread is taken through the hair and some of the band base.

Hey Ladies, Dontspeak, you did great, but YES they do connect. You start at the crown (by the part you want to be out), start your rubberband sectioning (like you did), but as you move down the crown through the head you are steadily making more ponytails, and connecting them as you move down. It forms a net once your down. At the nape you should have small ponytails (if you have some substantial length in your hair), these sections are then just braided and then sewn into the base to be hidden. TRUST ME ITS KILLING ME THAT I CANT FIND A PIC...MAYBE I SHOULD DO IT ON MY DAUGHTERS HEAD (THE BASE OF COURSE LOL) AND THEN POST A PIC......

dontspeakdefeat said:

Hey Ladies, Dontspeak, you did great, but YES they do connect. You start at the crown (by the part you want to be out), start your rubberband sectioning (like you did), but as you move down the crown through the head you are steadily making more ponytails, and connecting them as you move down. It forms a net once your down. At the nape you should have small ponytails (if you have some substantial length in your hair), these sections are then just braided and then sewn into the base to be hidden. TRUST ME ITS KILLING ME THAT I CANT FIND A PIC...MAYBE I SHOULD DO IT ON MY DAUGHTERS HEAD (THE BASE OF COURSE LOL) AND THEN POST A PIC......

i get what ur saying ms lepe, i see girls with this style all the time..alotta young girls get that style...

MsLepe said:
Thanks Lady. I think I got if this time. So you sort of form a ponytail base with the rubberbands. Interesting.

I was basing this off of the secure lock malaysian which uses micro-links or shrinkies as the base. There is no connecting but the hair is sewn unto the micro-link base.

I am going to go at it again real soon. I sure do wish you could find a pic.

Ok Y'all, I practiced on my dolly head last night. I'll post pics later on. I found that doing the rubberbands and connecting them horizontally was a little difficult. I also connected them vertically and that was alot easier (great for someone who is not good at cornrowing). I didn't attach the weft because I couldn't find it (forgive me) but I did do the two separate base techniques to give a general idea about this weave. When I did them I noticed that it was pretty secure.

Ok y'all, I did my little experiment. It looks a little ghetto so bare with me!:lol: I don't have a real mannequin head only these old school barbie heads, that's how I get my practice in! I did 2 different bases, I didn't attach any wefts (couldn't find them).One rubberband base I do criss cross bands all the way down, the other I did bands going vertically (easier for those who can't cornrow well). I hope I did this right! Check out my fotki album, no password needed.:)

www.fotki.com/nubian7

Im going to try this after I get this sew in taken out next Tuesday. I'm going to use the ouchless rubberbands to prevent breakage. Does anyone have any tips on what I should do to make sure my hair stays moisturized and doesn't get dry while under the rubberband weave?

MissFallon said:
Im going to try this after I get this sew in taken out next Tuesday. I'm going to use the ouchless rubberbands to prevent breakage. Does anyone have any tips on what I should do to make sure my hair stays moisturized and doesn't get dry while under the rubberband weave?

MissFallon, you can spray a leave in conditioner/ hair strengthener in every other day, to keep your hair moist, which will also combat breakage, and if you can get to the scalp, if you feel your scalp becoming dry, you can oil the scalp in between the rubber bands.
Also wrap the weave at night, as sometimes, the weave rubbing against the pillow can result in your hair underneath becoming dry.

Hope that helps ;)

Brilliant thread DSD, and your progress is inspiring! Keep it up grl.

Last edited:
Alli77 said:
Ok y'all, I did my little experiment. It looks a little ghetto so bare with me!:lol: I don't have a real mannequin head only these old school barbie heads, that's how I get my practice in! I did 2 different bases, I didn't attach any wefts (couldn't find them).One rubberband base I do criss cross bands all the way down, the other I did bands going vertically (easier for those who can't cornrow well). I hope I did this right! Check out my fotki album, no password needed.:)

www.fotki.com/nubian7
What a great visual!!

Great thread! I have a lot of extra hair laying around, now I have some ideas of what to do with it.

MsLepe said:

Aaahhhh! Now I get it. Although I'm positive I could french braid my hair in less time than it would take me to do all those ponytails :lol: Plus the idea of all those rubber bands make me ~shudder~

sprungonhairboards said:
Aaahhhh! Now I get it. Although I'm positive I could french braid my hair in less time than it would take me to do all those ponytails :lol: Plus the idea of all those rubber bands make me ~shudder~

I think that using bands made of nylon or stocking material would be easier on the hair. The rubber bands scare me too, although they do have ouchless rubberbands...IDK.

Back