The Weaves techniques and tips thread/ Why all the Mystery??

I have tried a new method of weaving called knot stitching. It is similar to the Malaysian weave but I think it is more simple. If you use regular weave hair it will lie very flat. I think it will be virtually undetectable if you use micro wefts. I will post pics of it real soon.

asummertyme said:
cant wait to see it DSD!
OK, Here's a pic of the knot stitching. I haven't perfected it but this gives you an idea.

knotstitching3-vi.jpg

How exactly is a dream weave done? I'm getting my hair done monday and this is one of the techniques she mentioned. I haven't been going into the shop to have my hair done and have been doing it myself for most of the year so I have no idea what to expect.

The knot stitching looks very damaging....to the individual knots on those little sections of hair.... wrapping and knotting the thread around the hair looks like alot of stress being put on those little sections. Is there alot of shedding once this type of weaving process is removed?

What is the advantage of using this know method as opposed to braiding the hair to attach the tracks? I agree, it looks damaging...

Great Thread. I wore a weave once..paid a fortune for it and it looked soooo fake. I may consider it again.

jadestar said:
What is the advantage of using this know method as opposed to braiding the hair to attach the tracks? I agree, it looks damaging...

I use a version of the knot technique on the top of my head when I am close to the left-out hair. I make little ponytails (like pictures) using the thread, but I don't tie knots. I can't feel it pulling, tugging, or loosening. There's virtually no shedding when I do it, either. It's actually a nice flat way for me to sew tracks to the top of my head without it seeming bumpy or thin up there.

I also use the net, but I kind of use it for different reasons. If I'm doing a particularly weird braid pattern to try to get someone's hairs all in one braid, they may wind up all meeting in one spot. I use the net to try to contain it and keep it from getting unruly under the weave. It also, to me, just helps keep the strain off the hair.

Lastly, I think another tip I learned would have to be using a regular medicine dropper of EVOO to help with the itching, although I haven't totally mastered that :( LOL

Saw this thread while I was searching and thought it could use a bump. :)

I like this thread DSD!! :grin:

What is your favorite technique?
My favorite technique is a sew-in w/ a cornrow base. I like doing partials as well

What other techniques have you used in the past? Did it work well for you?
Partials and bonding have also worked, but they don't last as long for me. Plus, there's alot of hair left out. I also do net weaves and if I'm in a pinch, quick weaves using two stocking caps AND a plastic cap.

What type of hair is your favorite to use for weaves and can you reuse it? I wear indian hair, and I love it. It can be reused several times if taken care of properly. I have a silk closure for the straighter weave b/c it dosent match my texture w/o using heat. I wear a weave a protective style. I have about 3 installs worth for myself at home. I also like using some BSS brands for the texture. Hot Topic is a dead on match for a relaxed 4 a/b.

What techiques do you know about that you may share that others may not know about but may want to try?
I want to learn the malaysian weave so badly!

What braid patterns do you use for a natural looking sewn in?
It depends on the hair length. If the hair is shorter, I love using the circular pattern. If sewn in correctly, you an pull it into a high ponytail. If the hair is longer, I like to braid straight back of use a combination pattern.

Any other information you would like to share?
If I'm using BSS hair, I split my tracks w/ a razor. I also seal my tracks w/ a sealant and place a little nail glue on both cut edges. I also leave hair out all around the perimeter.

Last edited:
I'd like to know more about the net weave method. It seems to work best for DIYers. I want a bob for my end of the summer/fall/winter look. I've never installed a weave before. I want to leave some of my hair out in the front to make it look more natural. Also, I heard that places like Super Cuts will cut weaves into styles. I guess I'll just dive in and try it. I wouldn't want to cut Remy hair for a bob. Any recommendations on good BSS hair for this look?

Great Thread. I wore a weave once..paid a fortune for it and it looked soooo fake. I may consider it again.
this is the way i am feeling...i had to do everything as far as finding a stylist and getting the "right" hair myself and i picked wrong...got BSS remy hair that cost too much and still tangled up. there was no cutting of tracks, it looked way too bulky and when i demanded that she thin it out she didnt even do it right, and to top it off when i tried to show her a pic of the bangs i wanted SHE TOLD ME SHE DIDNT NEED A PIC...AND CUT THEM WRONG! i wanted to sue. all that money wasted...but i digress.

i am trying to learn to cornrow so i can do my own dang-on weaves...like PP i want a bob. i saw a wig in a mag that would do the trick but i would rather have a weave. i am off to BHM to go look at braiding patterns...if push comes to shove i will have my cousin braid the pattern for me.

Back