"The Tracks of My Weave" a.k.a. Joy Bryant 'Mouths' Off

I really hope that's what she meant by her blog because I saw this on another board, and they were taking her words to heart.

I have nothing against weaves because God knows I wear them. I do have an issue when women start using them as a crutch to feel beautiful, and start relying on them. I don't judge at all though. In the past, I wore weaves because I didn't like the way I looked without them. lol It's funny though because I also didn't like the way my hair looked with 3 weeks of newgrowth, but now I'm natural. :look: People grow and mature all the time.

It's my hope that some women will grow out of the mindset that they 'need' weaves to be beautiful, or that their real hair could never be that long/beautiful. As a matter of fact, I created a site to help women change that old way of thinking. It's suppose to help guide women to the right way to use weaves as a way to 'protective style'. (site under construction lol)

Why weave forever when you can grow your own hair that long and luscious? I remember my cousin saying once that she would wear weaves until the day she dies. :ohwell::perplexed:look::wallbash: That's the mentality that I absolutely don't agree with.

I agree with you and am going to be truthful. I mean, I'm not just going to hold what I think back BUT I think the reason most black women wear weave is as a crutch. I mean, how many black women actually know that they don't have to be mixed or have good hair to have long hair? Not that many. It's been so engrained in the culture that you have to have these things mentioned above that some don't want to believe anythin else. Some believe but don't want to or don't have patience to observe the fruits of their labor. Granted, even if everyone black women did learn how to properly take care of her real hair and it grew long, I still think the weave industry would be in business but it would definitely not be a big booming industry like it is now.

I don't get it. Tyra is lighter and no one thought that was her real hair.

Tyra's a glamourpuss. We expect her to wear hair pieces and lashes, and do contouring in order to get the "look" she wants. She played dress-up for a living.

Joy on the other hand give the impression that she feels those things are over the top and unnatural. I'm basing this on her clothing style, her wedding, and her red carpet appearances. She favors a more "naturally pretty" look compared to Tyra's very done-up one. She doesn't fit the type.

If someone thinks eyeliner is too much fuss I certainly don't expect them to be spending hundreds of dollars on the finest Indian Hair install.

man, i really thought that was her real hair. i get it but still :nono:

especially when she says this: I loooooove taking new hair out of the bag, combing through it with my fingers, holding it up with my two hands, and burying my face in it. Mmmm, mmmm, mmm! Nothing like a new batch of zig-zag curly to get your self esteem out of the dumps!

i don't need a pack of hair to get self esteem. she sounds like she's nothing without some weave, which is just too much.

and i love my half wigs so i'm not hating on fake hair

At the bolded. Nobody says something like that and doesnt have issues deep down. I dont care if it's supposed to be said jokingly or not.

sidenote: What type of weave hair can I get that looks like her textured relaxed hair? I would love to throw a couple of tracks in for thickness. I like the look of her fuzzy weave.

Unless she's lying and actually doesn't wear a weave, this blog falls flat because there is truth beneath the satirical and self deprecating manner with which she writes this blog. Her being a Black woman who is in fact addicted to weave along with millions of other Black women addicted to weave just comes off as pathetic and you don't know whether to laugh or shake your head. And the laughing would be at her not with her.

Last edited:
I dont understand how women can be addicted to fake hair. I've worn braids and weaves and now I'm wearing wigs and I just cant stand fake hair. It saves me money but I cant wait to wear my real hair again. I couldn't imagine wearing wigs or weaves for the rest of my life. I've been wearing this wig and Im sooooooo tired of it. :ohwell:

why are people acting like this is the first time Tyra's done her "Real Hair" segment?

I think she should put more effort at not looking like a Zombie at events as opposed to this obsessionn with her weave

*Sigh* The intentions were confusing to me. Either be satirical or be truthful, but make sure it is clear one way or another.

It was sad that she didn't like what she looked like without a weave...whatever...lol

Back