The science of preventing relaxer damage by using silk

I added liquid SAA to my conditioner yesterday because I plan on relaxing this weekend. I've used CHI on my NG the night prior to my relaxers. I think that's why I am now texlaxed instead of bonelaxed. Who knows, that may be a good thing.

My mom has some of this and her hair is so shinny. I am in need of some shine, I will definately get some. My mom told me Target has it for the cheapest price.:grin:

This thread is the bomb. I think silk might be the missing ingredient in my homemade leave in. I love smart people.

So, I'm buying some silk amino acids from fromnaturewithlove, I think I saw upthread that they sell it, and I already buy a lot of other stuff from there.

This is one of the best tips I've come across since I started relaxing again. My hair comes out sooo much silkier. I use EQP intense, the third ingredient is hydrolyzed silk. And its cheap!!! :yep:

This is one of the best tips I've come across since I started relaxing again. My hair comes out sooo much silkier. I use EQP intense, the third ingredient is hydrolyzed silk. And its cheap!!! :yep:
thanks so much for sharing this! I will pick up a bottle for my upcoming touch up in December.:yep::yep:

I thought I would give this thread a bump for new ladies who may not have read this... AWESOME info to be shared here...

GVP Silk Treatment:

Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, SD Alcohol 40-B, Panthenol, Ethyl Ester of Hydrolyzed Silk, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Fragrance (Parfum), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

I just got my order of SAA from lotioncrafters.com and I am excited about incorporating it into my hair regimen.
Anyone still using it...how has it affected your hair growth with preventing breakage etc?

I'm going to give a quick summary. Basically, silk can form a protective covering over the hair to prevent it from being damaged from alkaline materials, such as the chemicals in relaxers. So the next time you relax, try to use something with hydrolyzed silk protein in it (such as CHI Silk Infusion) before putting the chemicals on your hair.

The short and sweet version:

http://www.jajagroup.com/HBADivision/silk_protein.shtml

"After silk protein on the hair dries, it becomes a transparent crystalline protective film. This film can directly prevent the hair being damaged by alkaline materials in hair products. This protective film can increase the hair elasticity and increase the hair’s natural shine. It has a very special protective function in hair products."

But for those of you who need the hardcore science to believe and don't want to listen to me drone on and on:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7060260.html

I wish someone would have told me this about 8 months ago.

OT: I'm self-relaxed and never put anything on my ends to protect it from overlapping and if I had this information then, my left side would probably be the same length as the right side. I severely damaged my hair and had to cut it off and am now wearing box braids until it gets to a comfortable lenth for me to start wearing it out again. I guess that it will be about 2 years before I put in another relaxer. As a matter of fact, I'll check my new growth to see if I would consider going natural but I doubt it because I just can't take my hair being so unmanageable.

I will give this a try when I relax again. I have a huge bottle of Chi Silk Infusion and contempleted throwing it away since I don't use it anymore because I no longer flat iron my hair. It is a great heat protectant though.

Does anyone have the powdered version of SAA like I do, and if so how are you adding it to your roots before you relax? I have a spray bottle with water and SAA my plan is to just spritz that in my scalp the night before so that it will be dry by the time I relax.

Does anyone have the powdered version of SAA like I do, and if so how are you adding it to your roots before you relax? I have a spray bottle with water and SAA my plan is to just spritz that in my scalp the night before so that it will be dry by the time I relax.

That's how I use it - I saturate my hair, then leave to air dry HTH

Last edited:
does the silk hinder how straight your hair gets, at all? Do you end up with more of a texlaxed look or with the same amount of straightness, just no/less damage?

I've used it this way twice, and I notice my hair comes out beautifully, feels soft and strong. The amount of breakage. I have found to be much more reduced. This is a definate keeper for me, love it.

Just realized I was in this thread almost a year ago:giggle: I still spritz my roots with SAA the day before my relaxer.

Wow!

I forgot about this thread!

Still a SAA user even though I'm natural now.

Still makes my hair soft.

Love this stuff!!!!!

Back