The REAL reason Dominicans are so good at straightening hair...

Alpha Female

See the attached article...it details the REAL reason Dominicans are so good at straightening hair...and it 'aint about having so-called healthy hair! Many, many Black & Latina women have straightened their hair over the years in an attempt to make their natural hair more manageable and easier to deal with on a day-to-day basis. But for most Dominican women, it's less about manageability or having healthy hair then it is about appearing 'less Black' and not having 'pelo malo' (i.e. bad hair with nappy roots). I've never been to a Dominican salon, and I know you can't lump a whole group of people together in one category, but just the thought of patronizing and giving my money (however cheap it may be) to someone who disrespects my Black culture & race THIS much...is enough to make me say 'Thanks, but no thanks."

http://www.miamiherald.com/multimedia/news/afrolatin/part2/index.html

Yeah, that's true. This has been posted here before. :yep: I don't see how it's any different than black people think of their hair though. We all deal with the same ideas about it at some point or another. That's part of the reason why going natural is so much bigger than choosing not to perm your hair anymore.

Well we may not like to hear the meaning behind it... but dammit they make your hair so bouncy!

I won't stereotype anyone cause I would hate for someone to post, "The Real Reason African-Americans are........."

On another note or maybe not: I know people who have their hair trained so that even when it does get wet, it still stays straight.:perplexed

Before I went natural, I thought my natural hair was bad.

When I went natural, I realized my natural hair is beautful

After 2 years of being natral and 1 year of being "texturized" I realized

I like straight hair a lot better!!!

and I still think my natural hair is beautiful.

the end

I agree with the folks who said that it's no different than going to an AA salon and that black folks have the same issue. I agree!

I also agree with the poster who said until we stop patronizing the folks who sell relaxers, why stop going.

I'm going to continue to go to the Dominicans. At least when they talk about me in SPanish, I don't understand it.:grin:

Some of the AA's I used to go to would talk about folks who were right under the dryer. Or make faces while the patrons head was down or at the sink. It was a mess.:nono:

I don't even need to click the link to that article. It's very clear that many Dominicans have self-hate issues. They have a process called blanquemiento where they will literally hire someone to tell them how long it will take for their families to be white (Spaniard) again.

Many of the women want their sons to bring home blond-haired women with light eyes to "whiten" the family line.

Want to know how we found out about coconut milk straightening and smoothing the hair? Well, they apply it to their newborns' hair to keep it from getting kinkier as the baby ages.

Also, many who come to the US do not want to be considered black.

I agree with the folks who said that it's no different than going to an AA salon and that black folks have the same issue. I agree!

I also agree with the poster who said until we stop patronizing the folks who sell relaxers, why stop going.

I'm going to continue to go to the Dominicans. At least when they talk about me in SPanish, I don't understand it.:grin:

Some of the AA's I used to go to would talk about folks who were right under the dryer. Or make faces while the patrons head was down or at the sink. It was a mess.:nono:

That is appalling. :mad: I would refuse to give my money to a salon that treated their customers in that manner, even if the customer they were talking about was not me.

I don't even need to click the link to that article. It's very clear that many Dominicans have self-hate issues. They have a process called blanquemiento where they will literally hire someone to tell them how long it will take for their families to be white (Spaniard) again.

Many of the women want their sons to bring home blond-haired women with light eyes to "whiten" the family line.

Want to know how we found out about coconut milk straightening and smoothing the hair? Well, they apply it to their newborns' hair to keep it from getting kinkier as the baby ages.

Also, many who come to the US do not want to be considered black.

I think moreso that it is an issue of nationality with them, as in they don't want to be considered an African-American and find pride in being Dominican. At least that is why I've experienced and for that I don't blame them.

This just reminds me of why I love my salon so much :yep:

They don't necessarily do everything perfect, but everyone is very nice. My stylist always does exactly what I ask her and she doesn't give me any flack for wanting to do things differently.

Additionally, they have a stylist who is there specifically to serve those with natural hair. She can do EVERYTHING. She's amazing. And the other stylists are pretty good with dealing with natural hair too (although, I think the natural stylist is the only one who is really good with dredlocks).

I think moreso that it is an issue of nationality with them, as in they don't want to be considered an African-American and find pride in being Dominican. At least that is why I've experienced and for that I don't blame them.

Naw, according to this article I see alot of self hatred going on and not much pride :nono:

From the article:

-Purdue University professor Dawn Stinchcomb, who is African American, said that when she came here in 1999 to study African influences in literature, people insulted her in the street. Waiters refused to serve her. People wouldn't help Stinchcomb with her research, saying if she wanted to study Africans, she'd have to go to Haiti

-There are schools where braids and natural hair are prohibited."

-Using the word Indian to describe dark-skinned people is an attempt to distance Dominicans from any African roots,
most estimates say that 90 percent of Dominicans are black or of mixed race. Yet census figures say only 11 percent of the country's nine million people are black.

-Asked if a black Dominican woman can be considered beautiful in her country, Hernández leapt to her feet.

"You should see how they come in here with their big asses!'' she said, shuffling across her office with her arms extended behind her back, simulating an enormous rear-end. "They come in here thinking they are all that, and I think, 'doesn't she know she's not really pretty?' "

-Here, as in much of Latin America -- the "one drop rule'' works in reverse: One drop of white blood allows even very dark-skinned people to be considered white.

Naw, according to this article I see alot of self hatred going on and not much pride :nono:

From the article:

-Purdue University professor Dawn Stinchcomb, who is African American, said that when she came here in 1999 to study African influences in literature, people insulted her in the street. Waiters refused to serve her. People wouldn't help Stinchcomb with her research, saying if she wanted to study Africans, she'd have to go to Haiti

-There are schools where braids and natural hair are prohibited."

-Using the word Indian to describe dark-skinned people is an attempt to distance Dominicans from any African roots,
most estimates say that 90 percent of Dominicans are black or of mixed race. Yet census figures say only 11 percent of the country's nine million people are black.

-Asked if a black Dominican woman can be considered beautiful in her country, Hernández leapt to her feet.

"You should see how they come in here with their big asses!'' she said, shuffling across her office with her arms extended behind her back, simulating an enormous rear-end. "They come in here thinking they are all that, and I think, 'doesn't she know she's not really pretty?' "

-Here, as in much of Latin America -- the "one drop rule'' works in reverse: One drop of white blood allows even very dark-skinned people to be considered white.

much of the west indies is like this as well

It's so sad that being of African decent is considered so terrible. Here 100s of years later, we're still mentally chained. And I say "we're" & not "they're" b/c of course it still goes on right here in America. My grandmother thinks anything that is light skinned with long hair is beautiful & anyone dark skinned is not. When my mother married a dark skinned man my grandmother had a fit. She actually asked him was his family from Africa. How unfortunate that she was raised in a time where the lighter you were the better job you got b/c white people hired light skinned blacks for those "good" office jobs & the dark skinned blacks got to work in someone's kitchen or some "lesser" job like that. So the idea was that if you were light skinned then you would try & marry someone light skinned so that all of your children would be able to get those "good" jobs. My grandmother was raised on a farm - she had 9 sisters & brothers. As the case is with AA's, the colors ranged from light to dark. All of her light skinned sisters & brothers were not allowed to work in the field to preserve their color. And even though in today's times skin color usually doesn't have anything to do with what type of job you get, my grandmother still thinks that you should only marry & breed with light skinned people to create a "light skinned lineage." I love my grandmother dearly but I find it so sad that she thinks this way. And I also find this article saddening. My husband's grandfather was Domican (he's dead now) but he married a light skinned woman. I wonder was it a coincidence or not...:rolleyes:

OMG! That is crazy!

I think I am pretty damn hot thank you. And with my "bad" (curly) hair.

Now I understand why Brazil is the leading country in diet pill abuse. These hefers wanna look white.

Curls are sexy...
Curves are sexy...
Dark is sexy...

We are exotic and beautiful...and converted by many....

OMG! That is crazy!

I think I am pretty damn hot thank you. And with my "bad" (curly) hair.

Now I understand why Brazil is the leading country in diet pill abuse. These hefers wanna look white.

Curls are sexy...
Curves are sexy...
Dark is sexy...

We are exotic and beautiful...and converted by many.

Yeah we know that but the mainstream doesn't. It's slowly becoming acceptable but that's about it.

It's just a shame that in 2007, we STILL have the term 'bad hair.' Jesus Christ, haven't we gotten away from that YET?! I disagree that it's the same with African-American salons. It's kind of like White people using the "N-word.' I disagree with the use of the word entirely, by ANY race of people, but it sure feels a whole hell of a lot worse for someone non-African-American to be calling you that. So my Black hairstylist says I have 'nappy roots,' she has them too, so we're in the same boat, and we laugh and joke about it. Now for someone outside of my race to be saying I have nappy roots and bad hair?! Nuh uh!!

And Chicanella, so true, you can't stereotype a whole group of people, exactly what I said in my first post.

See the attached article...it details the REAL reason Dominicans are so good at straightening hair...and it 'aint about having so-called healthy hair! Many, many Black & Latina women have straightened their hair over the years in an attempt to make their natural hair more manageable and easier to deal with on a day-to-day basis. But for most Dominican women, it's less about manageability or having healthy hair then it is about appearing 'less Black' and not having 'pelo malo' (i.e. bad hair with nappy roots). I've never been to a Dominican salon, and I know you can't lump a whole group of people together in one category, but just the thought of patronizing and giving my money (however cheap it may be) to someone who disrespects my Black culture & race THIS much...is enough to make me say 'Thanks, but no thanks."

http://www.miamiherald.com/multimedia/news/afrolatin/part2/index.html

One of the reasons I hesitate going back to them yes they do a great job on my hair but when I took my daughter who has natural 4abxyz hair they act like she was a beast and her hair was the worse and they suggested that she get a mild relaxer on her next visit. She is only 5!!!

I don't why everyone is buying into this. Someone writes an article and all of a sudden all Dominicans are this or that. I KNOW plenty of Dominicans and they know and are proud of the fact they are Black even when others tell them they are not.

Are dominicans latino or black or both. The article confuses me. :look:

I was too dark and didn't have nice hair," said Catherine de la Rosa, a dark-skinned Dominican-American college student spending a semester here. "With time passing, I see I'm not black. I'm Latina.

I want to say that the author of this article should not necessarily be considered the spokes person for all Dominicans everywhere. That just wouldn't be fair.

I know quite a few Domincans that are proud of their african american lineage and their latin lineage.

But, just like AA's there are some who would prefer that their roots go back to Norway instead of Senegal.

I don't think this article is that much difference from what we experience on US soil.

No doubt the British influence was similar there as it was here.

Last edited:
Oh jeesh not this again. Its like the revolving post.:whyme:

adequate posted"I want to say that the author of this article should not necessarily be considered the spokes person for all Dominicans everywhere. That just wouldn't be fair.

I know quite a few Domincans that are proud of their african american lineage and their latin lineage"

This is me:Flahsssss
I love my heritage and wouldnt be any other way , race ,color ,tone, or ethnicity .

Ok, for the record, so that no one has to make the comment again...you CAN NOT group or stereotype a whole race/culture of people, and I don't believe anyone here is trying to do that. I've said it, other people on this post have said it, everyone is on the same page when we say you can't stereotype and lump all Dominicans together. It would be like saying all Black people have nappy hair, and we all know that's not true. So can we move beyond that to a discussion of the underlying socio-political issues that would drive SOME (let me put that in bold, italics, and underline, less I be misunderstood and misquoted :perplexed ) Dominicans to have the type of attitude about their hair that is discussed in the article, again, with everyone well aware that ALL Dominicans do NOT subscribe to that type attitude or belief.

And sorry if this topic isn't as interesting as the 'hottest new Dominican conditioner on the market.' I just think its nice, at times, to get beyond the same old-same old discussion of products, regimens, and fotkis to intelligent conversation regarding the history of black hair or how certain beliefs/practices about black hair came into existence (shrugs - just me).

same sh*t, different country. This happens not only with Blacks in other countries, but everywhere where there are people of color. It is surprisingly bad in Asian countries (not hair so much, but skin color).

Ok, for the record, so that no one has to make the comment again...you CAN NOT group or stereotype a whole race/culture of people, and I don't believe anyone here is trying to do that. I've said it, other people on this post have said it, everyone is on the same page when we say you can't stereotype and lump all Dominicans together. It would be like saying all Black people have nappy hair, and we all know that's not true. So can we move beyond that to a discussion of the underlying socio-political issues that would drive SOME (let me put that in bold, italics, and underline, less I be misunderstood and misquoted :perplexed ) Dominicans to have the type of attitude about their hair that is discussed in the article, again, with everyone well aware that ALL Dominicans do NOT subscribe to that type attitude or belief.

And sorry if this topic isn't as interesting as the 'hottest new Dominican conditioner on the market.' I just think its nice, at times, to get beyond the same old-same old discussion of products, regimens, and fotkis to intelligent conversation regarding the history of black hair or how certain beliefs/practices about black hair came into existence (shrugs - just me).

I don't think we were commenting your post...but rather the responses to some of the posts that made it seem like this article was the end all tell all of Dominican views and values.

I noted your disclaimer in your OP. :yep:

There is more to the story than the article shows. :( Dominicans are not bad people they are just misinformed and they also have a different perspective on race than we do. I used to live in Santo Domingo and u really have to be there and experience it urself to understand it.

In the DR, they don't see AAs as a different race. :nono: Most dominicanos/as in Santo Domingo look like many AAs. U can't tell the difference from looking at them. They don't hate black people and they don't hate Africans. :nono: It's more of a negacion de si mismo aka. it's like self-denial.

I agree that it is not that much different than the way AAs feel about themselves. I think that they are just more honest and vocal about it in the DR. I mean I honestly believe that a lot of AAs either consciously or subconsciously think some of the same things. They just know not to say it out loud b/c their ideas/feelings are seen as wrong by our society and we even may feel that they are wrong, but the desire is so strong.

Back