MzSwift what powders do you use?

charmtreese

Sorry so late!

For cleansing: Neem and Shikakai
For conditioning: Amla, Brahmi, Cassia/Henna
For moisture: Hibiscus :lick:
For growth/thickness: Bhringaraj

In my cleanser I mix Neem, Shikakai and Hibiscus into a condish
In my conditioner I mix Brahmi, Cassia/Henna, Hibiscus and Bhringaraj into a condish

Around September last year, I started using a tea in my moisturizing spray mix. I use Bhringaraj, Amla, Hibiscus and Brahmi to make the tea. I mix the tea in with my condish/water/oil spray. I've noticed that my shed hairs have been shinier and stronger since I've started using the tea spray daily. Before, I just used condish/water/oil.

Thanks for the info, ladies. I've been looking for pre-mixed items for my mom. I think she'll benefit a lot from using those instead of mixing her own.

I didn't know hennasooq was black owned. I'll have to check her out.

Hi Ladies! I'm new to this thread but I have black, armpit length, fine hair and henna has made a huge difference for me. I go to a licensed Indian stylist and she uses a mix of henna, alma, shikakai, etc and my hair responds nicely. It definitely "thickens" up my strands.

I've found two great Indian stylists (with shops) in the DMV (both charge $20). Message me if you'd like their info.

Hi Ladies! I'm new to this thread but I have black, armpit length, fine hair and henna has made a huge difference for me. I go to a licensed Indian stylist and she uses a mix of henna, alma, shikakai, etc and my hair responds nicely. It definitely "thickens" up my strands.

I've found two great Indian stylists (with shops) in the DMV (both charge $20). Message me if you'd like their info.

That is awesome! And the price! And you don't have to worry about cleaning up after, lucky you!

I've been experimenting with wearing twists last week and now this week. My thing is that they get frizzy like the next day especially after I wrap my hair and sleep on it. I'm not using wax or whatever it is that people use for hold so perhaps that's why its so frizzy. This is only the third time I've worn twists outside of the home (well over a period of last week and now this week)...last week I had some in the front with a small beanie cap on the back covering the rest with I wrapped into a twist bun. This week it's flat twists just in the front of my hair...I have some going back in a bun on one side and the other side its hanging down...it actually looked cute except it's frizzy after only one day (I plan to grease my scalp in the front with my new pomade so I will be taking it down anyway).

Last edited:
I did my sukesh powder treatment today. I wanted to mix it with full fat greek yoghurt, but hubby came back with fromage frais instead:perplexed!
I added 1 teaspoon of the stinky sea peptide to my DC, and my hair is like butta:lick:

I've been experimenting with wearing twists last week and now this week. My thing is that they get frizzy like the next day especially after I wrap my hair and sleep on it. I'm not using wax or whatever it is that people use for hold so perhaps that's why its so frizzy. This is only the third time I've worn twists outside of the home (well over a period of last week and now this week)...last week I had some in the front with a small beanie cap on the back covering the rest with I wrapped into a twist bun. This week it's flat twists just in the front of my hair...I have some going back in a bun on one side and the other side its hanging down...it actually looked cute except it's frizzy after only one day (I plan to grease my scalp in the front with my new pomade so I will be taking it down anyway).

Dare~to~Dream
I strictly use twists to airdry only. Because I am Low Porosity my hair takes forever to dry in braids.
Once they are dry I will put big braids in my hair overnight and undo them in the morning so I can bun my braid out.
With twists I am a fuzz ball the next day.

@DarkJoy
Awesome, thanks! :D Does neem powder stink as much as neem oil by any chance? The curl loosening is just a necessary evil but I'm an optimist... maybe the lesser curl severity will make it easy to roller set!
laylaaa
Ugh! That neem oil is NOT cool to the nostrils. :barf: Oddly, my dog loves it and always wants a taste :barf::barf::lol:

No the powder isn't so bad.

As far as the loosening, my understanding is that you can use amla to get it back.

The coil loosening IS a lifesaver for me. I got the 4c:look:. I had to let the seamless combs go for a sec--cuz my naps kept breaking the combs and/or the teeth :nono::lol:. It's loose enough now where it's no longer an issue and I can get those pricey combs mid-strand split killing combs again. Yay!

I am sooooooo.mad at my hair!
I washed it saturday and i air dried it.......KNOT CITY!!!! WHY DID I AIR DRY??? I have thé ssk and breakage. Damn it!! Im never gonna do it again. Every time its à problem . Its hard and dry even though ive sealed. (ive tried different things in thé past and every time air drying goes wrong..
Im définetly gonna usé heat after my washes (blow DRY). Ill just dust frequently.

I washed it saturday and i air dried it.......KNOT CITY!!!! WHY DID I AIR DRY??? I have thé ssk and breakage. Damn it!! Im never gonna do it again. Every time its à problem . Its hard and dry even though ive sealed. (ive tried different things in thé past and every time air drying goes wrong..
Im définetly gonna usé heat after my washes (blow DRY). Ill just dust frequently.

Did you detangle and twist your hair before air drying to keep more moisture in? I mean if you have porous hair, as your hair dries (even if you seal) moisture will escape your stands faster if left out versus if twisted or braided up.

Did you detangle and twist your hair before air drying to keep more moisture in? I mean if you have porous hair, as your hair dries (even if you seal) moisture will escape your stands faster if left out versus if twisted or braided up.

I totally agree. I used to not understand why drying worked for some women and didn't work for others. Then I totally understood that if you have porous hair you have to braid it usually in big braids or twist it up. And I don't even bother putting any product in my hair when I am braiding it up.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Did you put on good moisturiser in sections before you air dried? Did you plait it up or twist it in sections while air drying? If you moisturised well, it shouldn't be hard and dry after your hair has dried. What products did you use?

You may still have to give up heat for a while. Didn't you just have to cut your hair? Heat may not be so good for your strands either. Try out either alternatives before you go back to heat use so soon.

Last edited:
laylaaa
Ugh! That neem oil is NOT cool to the nostrils. :barf: Oddly, my dog loves it and always wants a taste :barf::barf::lol:

No the powder isn't so bad.

As far as the loosening, my understanding is that you can use amla to get it back.

The coil loosening IS a lifesaver for me. I got the 4c:look:. I had to let the seamless combs go for a sec--cuz my naps kept breaking the combs and/or the teeth :nono::lol:. It's loose enough now where it's no longer an issue and I can get those pricey combs mid-strand split killing combs again. Yay!

Neem in general. :nono: When I was younger, I found a golden-y liquid in our shower that I thought was olive oil to moisturise with but it was just neem. I foolishly put it on my knee... yup, there goes that Dove fresh scent. Scrubbed and latherered like my life depended on it. :lol:

Your hair sounds strong! I'd be proud of those tore up combs. :grin: Funnily enough, the thing that helps my hair stay stretched and loose is my dirt cheap shower comb that I got from Superdrug. Tried the pricy seamless comb thing and the finger detangling for 2 weeks, didn't go quite as planned I think fine/dense haired naturals have just way too much hair for finger detangling do a thorough job on its own.

Everything was fine before air drying. I did hot oil before and detangled. Then sectionned hair. Shampood with ors aloe shampoo. i rinsed kt was.soft and strong. Then i dried it added à lotion (it has silk keratin and makes my hair usually soft when dry).
Then i put coconut blue magic but not scalp (usually.locks moisture when hair is dry on normal days.
i then hair banded 8 sections.

It was soft and all. But thé next day...tangled.

Ive already.done thé air drying with braids,it came out dry.

Its only when.i.tension blow dry that my hair comes out Well and no tangles until next wash. I usé médium heat.

coolsista-paris, I have never bothered with banding because it does not look as effective for stretching hair as braids. After I rinse off conditioner and do an ACV rinse, I braid my hair bare. I find it stretches better that way. Because I comb my hair and rebraid throughout my wash, it is completely tangle-free so when I do those final firm braids after my ACV rinse, my hair is so detangled that a fine-tooth comb can go through it. When I undo the braids, my hair is smooth and wavy. I can then apply S Curl if I don't mind shrinkage or use something like coconut oil if I want my hair to stay stretched.

Also I don't know what you use to moisturize but for me creams and butters would make my hair soft on application but it would dry up hard. I know it was them because my hair without product is as soft as cotton puffs.

Last edited:
Everything was fine before air drying. I did hot oil before and detangled. Then sectionned hair. Shampood with ors aloe shampoo. i rinsed kt was.soft and strong. Then i dried it added à lotion (it has silk keratin and makes my hair usually soft when dry).
Then i put coconut blue magic but not scalp
(usually.locks moisture when hair is dry on normal days.
i then hair banded 8 sections.

It was soft and all. But thé next day...tangled.

Ive already.done thé air drying with braids,it came out dry.

Its only when.i.tension blow dry that my hair comes out Well and no tangles until next wash. I usé médium heat.

coolsista-paris Maybe it's this part that's the problem. Are these products truly moisturising?

TBH, I never tried banding. Seems like more work than braiding so I never bothered to do it.

Last edited:
are there any ladies here that can just comb through their hair with no problem? i can't seem to do that anymore, or maybe i am just too paranoid. i barely run a comb through my hair anymore, even when it is flat ironed straight. i watch YT videos of folks just combing their hair with no problem.

i would like to be able to do that, or maybe that is just unrealistic for my strands? when i was letting someone else care for my hair, i kept a comb on me. i used a feather comb, or some type of wide toothed comb. i don't recall having a bunch of breakage. maybe i was extra gentle? but i wore my hair in a lot of set style too. i would only get a flat wrap if i just got a touch up that day. i do remember having to spray a lot of oil sheen in my hair to be able to comb it without breakage and damage. my scarf stayed oily.

shortdub78

I thought it was just me and that my hair was weak. Even when I've just flat ironed my hair, I finger comb and lightly comb the ends of sections. If I do a regular comb through I encounter tangles/breakage. I also see people combing through and using a paddle brush on YT and I can't imagine being able to do that. I don't get a real comb through unless I go to a professional, which is rarely.

shortdub78

I thought it was just me and that my hair was weak. Even when I've just flat ironed my hair, I finger comb and lightly comb the ends of sections. If I do a regular comb through I encounter tangles/breakage. I also see people combing through and using a paddle brush on YT and I can't imagine being able to do that. I don't get a real comb through unless I go to a professional, which is rarely.

i'm glad i'm not alone! paddle brushes are the debil for me!

are there any ladies here that can just comb through their hair with no problem? i can't seem to do that anymore, or maybe i am just too paranoid. i barely run a comb through my hair anymore, even when it is flat ironed straight. i watch YT videos of folks just combing their hair with no problem.

i would like to be able to do that, or maybe that is just unrealistic for my strands? when i was letting someone else care for my hair, i kept a comb on me. i used a feather comb, or some type of wide toothed comb. i don't recall having a bunch of breakage. maybe i was extra gentle? but i wore my hair in a lot of set style too. i would only get a flat wrap if i just got a touch up that day. i do remember having to spray a lot of oil sheen in my hair to be able to comb it without breakage and damage. my scarf stayed oily.

My fine strands can't handle regular combing and brushing, I finger detangle and comb almost exclusively. I have seamless combs of various Sizes if needed. I also use a boar bristle brush but rarely use it and my tiny baby brush get way more usage but pretty much only on my edges. My hands are my styling tools of choice unless I'm doing a rollerset.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I've recently gone to primarily finger combing and detangling just due to my Combs breaking even tho I am gentle. With comb I always finger detangling first then start with a wide tooth. After that they get finer until it's tangle free. I use 3 grades of comb: wide, normal, fine once a week.

That's because my hair is reeeeeally reeeeally fine and most tangled and shed hairs are missed with wide teeth. But it would be disaster to start a detangling session with fine teeth.

Exclusive finger detangling is not working because hair is also porous and the cuticles stick to each other. Shed hairs are getting stuck on the ends and I can see and feel them hanging off tge tips and knotting. I seek and destroy these.

Need to get those new seamless Combs stat!

Last edited:
coolsista-paris, I have never bothered with banding because it does not look as effective for stretching hair as braids. After I rinse off conditioner and do an ACV rinse, I braid my hair bare. I find it stretches better that way. Because I comb my hair and rebraid throughout my wash, it is completely tangle-free so when I do those final firm braids after my ACV rinse, my hair is so detangled that a fine-tooth comb can go through it. When I undo the braids, my hair is smooth and wavy. I can then apply S Curl if I don't mind shrinkage or use something like coconut oil if I want my hair to stay stretched.

Also I don't know what you use to moisturize but for me creams and butters would make my hair soft on application but it would dry up hard. I know it was them because my hair without product is as soft as cotton puffs.

Nonie, I think this is what causes my hair to break when wearing twist outs. The butters make my hair feel soft initially, but it just seems to dry.
Do you seal your ends with anything?

When I was a salon head yes but unless my hair is straight either flat ironed or rollerset I can only comb when I detangle... with this ng, relaxed, texlaxed texture; combing thru otherwise rips strands out...
Exclusive finger detangling is not working because hair is also porous and the cuticles stick to each other. Shed hairs are getting stuck on the ends and I can see and feel them hanging off tge tips and knotting. I seek and destroy these.

[USER=17046]yodie[/USER];18257645 said:
Nonie, I think this is what causes my hair to break when wearing twist outs. The butters make my hair feel soft initially, but it just seems to dry.
Do you seal your ends with anything?

yodie, no I don't. But there was a time I tried out Vaseline at the end of my twists and it was OK. Then I tried a serum (John Frieda Frizz Ease) on damp ends and that was even better because ends didn't feel sticky but were so soft and smooth. But I like baggying and I cannot baggy with those products on my hair or my scalp would itch like crazy. So I just don't bother with products unless I need to comb my hair. I have been in twists since 2009 and just go bare coz I don't like feeling product on my skin and unlike my afro which keeps product up and away, twists hang and touch my face and neck so would make me icky. If I didn't care for baggying, I would probably use a serum on damp twists.

I know how you feel - I can't figure out why, why,why I can't air dry my hair!!!

yodie, no I don't. But there was a time I tried out Vaseline at the end of my twists and it was OK. Then I tried a serum (John Frieda Frizz Ease) on damp ends and that was even better because ends didn't feel sticky but were so soft and smooth. But I like baggying and I cannot baggy with those products on my hair or my scalp would itch like crazy. So I just don't bother with products unless I need to comb my hair. I have been in twists since 2009 and just go bare coz I don't like feeling product on my skin and unlike my afro which keeps product up and away, twists hang and touch my face and neck so would make me icky. If I didn't care for baggying, I would probably use a serum on damp twists.

I'd like to try sticking to oils, but oils don't moisturize.

I can only comb after I finger detangle first. I have to use a wide tooth comb though. I don't do it often because I am definitely too paranoid about combs.

Last time I airdried was the first time in a long time that my hair wasn't dry and crunchy. I applied my light creamy leave in and my oil mix while my hair was damp, then when it was 80-85% dry I applied a thicker cream that still has water in it. Then when its completely dry and I'm ready to plait it to go under my wig I added my butter and my hair was soft and moisturized. The next day I just baggied for a few hours to remoisturize and my hair was fine. But that's it for my porous hair. 2 days only then its either cowash and/or LOCB method again...

Back