~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Approaching one year and very happy with my growth so far
6c7ed71b-f349-4704.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Long Hair Care Forum App

When you BCd - At the end of July 2010, I was about 4 months post and I big chopped. I was not expecting for my hair to be that short so I froze up and went to the beautician. She cut my hair into a fade in the back with a patch of hair up top. She ended up trying to relax my hair but it burnt sooooo bad that I made her wash it out immediately. The relaxer caused scalp burns that were scabbed. I babied my scalp for about 2 weeks before I chopped all the straight ends and decided to actually be natural and do wash and gos. I loooooved it! I like to claim August 1 as my big chop date because I was bald on my back and sides from the beautician and I've cut my top so that it's in sync with my back and sides. I currently have about 3-4 inches of hair. I would have more, but I am scissor happy. :ohwell:

Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness I have straw sized coils, my hair is fine and I get about 30% shrinkage. The front of my hair grows toward my face and the back falls to my back. The middle/sides just grow. :lol:

Your current regimen I don't have one. I wash and go 90% of the time. I also do flat-twist outs. No braid outs as of yet.

Your favorite styles Mohawk wash & go
Your current length and goal length NL is my current length and I want to be APL unstretched.

Last edited:
It's been 6 weeks since I chopped and I've been wearing my hair "out" a lot. I wore wigs/half wigs during my transition and I was so tired of that but I think I'm going to go back to protective styling so I can get to APL and then hopefully BSL by the end of the year. I just trimmed another 1/2" and right now I'm about an 1.5 inches away from APL. Hopefully a summer of protective styles will put me where I need to be. :yep:

attachment.php

I tried banding my hair to stretch it for a dry twistout, didn't really like the results so I ended up putting it up into a puff.

Banding:

IMG-20110418-00343.jpg
IMG-20110418-00344-1.jpg

Twistout:

IMG-20110419-00346.jpg
IMG-20110419-00350.jpg

ETA: I used Sally's super stretch snag free rubber bands. And twisted my hair using SheaMoisture deep treatment masque. I'll try again next week using the smoothie and see if that works better.

Last edited:
It's been 6 weeks since I chopped and I've been wearing my hair "out" a lot. I wore wigs/half wigs during my transition and I was so tired of that but I think I'm going to go back to protective styling so I can get to APL and then hopefully BSL by the end of the year. I just trimmed another 1/2" and right now I'm about an 1.5 inches away from APL. Hopefully a summer of protective styles will put me where I need to be. :yep:

attachment.php

That's my goal too...! :yep:

:welcome2: @thewaygodmadeus & @SkysMommy

Had my daughter give me two french braids, and they touch my shoulders...

:yay::yay::clap::dance7::dance7::bouncy::circle::afro::2cool::pepper::pepper::pulpdance::pulpdance::rocker:
Congrats on your milestone! :woot: Your braids looks so nice and thick!

So I was looking at Sera's fotki for the 100th time (lol). Just wondering what is everyone's length goals? And do you think u will have to avoid heat (like Sera does) to reach them?
For now, MBL. I've only straightened my hair once since being natural. Since I have fine strands I do think I'll have to avoid heat to reach my length and density goals. How often does Sera straighten (or does she not straighten at all)? I only have the urge to straighten 2-4/yr. I think I'd be okay with straightening 2x/yr, maybe even 1x (I plan on straightening this September, which will be a year from the last time I straightened). I think nourishing and protecting my ends will be more crucial to reaching my length goal.

I may attempt to flat iron my hair this weekend for Easter but I need to figure out a technique that will keep my hair from reverting too quickly. Any tips ladies?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Long Hair Care Forum App
NikkiQ No tips from personal experience but here are some links to threads on straightening natural hair:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/search.php?searchid=2512177

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=400194

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=134387

Okay, I really want to try a style on my natural hair (I'm still in half wigs 100% of the time now). Next shampoo I am straightening for my one year progress check. But the wash after that, I will attempt a twist out. I tried it when I was transitioning and it was a mess with those straight ends, and my hair was sooo dry and rough back then. So I want to revisit it and see what happens.
I think your twisout on natural hair will turn out well, simply based on the fact that you're working with a healthy head of natural hair with great ends. I was looking at your fotki and your hair has come a long way. Your hair was already fly when you were transitioning but it's on a whole 'nother level now and your natural texture is so beautiful! I'm definitely looking forward to your progress check. :yep:

Last edited:
Zaz I have the Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque and I haven't tried it but used it on my daughters hair and didn't really like it. Have you used it as a DC? If so did you like it? Hiow did you like it for the twists you did? I've been using the Curl Smoothie for twists and I LOVE it.

Roux I like the Masque more as a leave-in than as a deep conditioner. I put it on my hair when it was soaking wet and brushed it through. It left my hair silky and well defined once it dried. I actually like it as a leave-in more than the smoothie.

Zaz I have the Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque and I haven't tried it but used it on my daughters hair and didn't really like it. Have you used it as a DC? If so did you like it? Hiow did you like it for the twists you did? I've been using the Curl Smoothie for twists and I LOVE it.

I mentioned up thread that I like the masque as a styler for my wash n go, I haven't used it as a DC yet.
Maybe I'll do another thread similar to this one, with picture reviews for my twistouts :scratchch

I mentioned up thread that I like the masque as a styler for my wash n go, I haven't used it as a DC yet.
Maybe I'll do another thread similar to this one, with picture reviews for my twistouts :scratchch

Please do!

I used the Shea Moisture Yucca & Baobab Anti-Breakage Masque overnight on Sunday as a DC. It was just okay. Since I didn't use it with heat or on freshly washed/clarified hair, I haven't reached a verdict of any sort.

thanks everyone for your feedback on the masque! When I was in Target today I saw the Shea Moisture Bath and Body products and saw the soap bars and after reading the ingredients I think I might try one of them as a shampoo bar in the future.

People's mishaps with the tangle teezer sorta worry me. mine was great until recently when it snagged on a few knots i had in my hair...I believe those were due to my washing technique, though. must go back to detangling BEFORE washing :look:

I hear ya PYT. I think I will go back to using it only for a MAJOR detangling job and use my denman...

I was supposed to do a twist out tonight to try out an updo but I got lazy after my workout so I put some oil on my hair and popped on a shower cap during my shower and got a nice steam out of it.l

This is that bullsheeeet SSKs

I decided to give Kinky Curly another chance to redeem itself. This is what I am getting

a0de2422-1.jpg

BTW I clipped those off, they didn't break off. Oh and I did not put them in that sadface purposely. :lachen:

Yay... I'm 3 1/2 months natural. Last week I took my twist out to let my hair breath a little before getting more braids (I'm in braids till june) I wasn't very happy with progress but decided to take pictures anyway, I was convinced that my hair had not grown. But my pictures tell a slightly different story. It's better than nothing lol I was getting a little discouraged. Here's January 5th 2011, February 5th 2011 and last April 17th 2011
***Please don't mind my morning face :spinning:***

Attachments

• photo-58.jpg
    photo-58.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 24
  • photo-91.jpg
    photo-91.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
lol @Fab Nikki that pic is funny but sad.

IDK if they were sheds...probably sheds but I had a bit of hair on my hands after my wash. I cowashed and did a wash n go puff. it's aight. I plan on cowashing tomorrow and doing twists for a twist out.

Last edited:
Anyone ever used Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner? I need a protein conditioner, but not anything too harsh. If you have used it, did you have to use a moisturizing conditioner on afterwards?

pookaloo83 I have that on my wishlist...heck i've had it on my list since I was relaxed. I recently bought some aphogee 2 minute but not loving it like I did when I was relaxed...which is a disappointment.

I've been lurking in this thread for a while, and I've finally BC'd, so it's time for me to say "Hi"

When you BCd: April 3, 2011
How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd: I was a year and a week post relaxer
Have you been natural before? No, this is my first time
Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics- I'm 4a/4b, I think medium with a smattering of fine strands, maybe 65-70% shrinkage
Your current regimen - experimenting, but so far cowashing daily, oil rinsing and baggying at night
Your favorite styles - TWA
Your current length and goal length - 5 inches of hair currently, goal is BSL
Your photo album, if any - in my profile

Last edited:
I took out my braids to prepare for my DC and I was presently surprised at the definition I got from using just Shea Moisture Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner. Now I know what to use next time if I actually want to wear a twist or braid out.

Attachments

• IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 53
Anyone ever used Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner? I need a protein conditioner, but not anything too harsh. If you have used it, did you have to use a moisturizing conditioner on afterwards?

I purchased 1 bottle of GPB just to see if I liked it. It snapped my hair back in shape and it felt stronger. I went back the next day to purchase 2 more bottles. I love it and I'm able to finger comb my hair easily with it in. I do use a moisturizing conditioner afterwards just because I want to make sure my hair isn't dry as the Sahara desert the next day.

OMG in 2 days I will 6 months post BC!!!!!!!!!!!

In the next 6 months I hope to:

• Continue my no heat regimen
  • Continue loving on my hair without TOO much manipulation.
  • Start taking weekly progress pics for my own documentation
  • Work on creating a successful twist out. *help me Baby Jesus*

This is so exciting to have almost made it to 6 months of being natural. I love everything about it, the good and the bad (SSKs). I wouldn't change a think about the last six months because I've learn to love my hair and be happy with healthy hair. Even when my mommy (I love you lol) jone'd on me saying the hair on my cooter was probably longer than on my head. :lachen: I still persevered :lol: 6 months down forever is my goal!!!!!

Speaking of protein conditioners. How often do you all use protein based products? I know some naturals say they dont ever need them. Do you use light or heavy protein? I dont want to try a protein based product and then all my hair starts to break off. :perplexed

Miryoku

I have such a hard time with which products are good and which aren't. So, I just try out various products to see how they work on MY hair. I find it very hard to recommend someone to try a product when it may suck on their hair. So, if you are able to just test products. Sorry I am not much help but your hair is GORGEOUS! :D

:welcome3: geejay! Congrats on your bc!
I took out my braids to prepare for my DC and I was presently surprised at the definition I got from using just Shea Moisture Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner. Now I know what to use next time if I actually want to wear a twist or braid out.
Ooooooh, pretty! :infatuated:

OMG in 2 days I will 6 months post BC!!!!!!!!!!!

In the next 6 months I hope to:

• Continue my no heat regimen
  • Continue loving on my hair without TOO much manipulation.
  • Start taking weekly progress pics for my own documentation
  • Work on creating a successful twist out. *help me Baby Jesus*
This is so exciting to have almost made it to 6 months of being natural. I love everything about it, the good and the bad (SSKs). I wouldn't change a think about the last six months because I've learn to love my hair and be happy with healthy hair. Even when my mommy (I love you lol) jone'd on me saying the hair on my cooter was probably longer than on my head. :lachen: I still persevered :lol: 6 months down forever is my goal!!!!!
:rofl: :dead: @the bolded Congrats on making 6 months and continued success on the journey to reaching your goal of "forever". :congrats:

Back