The longevity of CHI flat irons?

Honey01

Hi All,

I am in the market for one of the higher end flat irons that I have seen raved about.
I was on Folica's website and they are having a CHI vs Solia sale.

There were a few reviews that mentioned the CHI's seem to break down after a year. Have any of you experienced this?

Its not really the logevity you have to worry about(I've had mine for almost a year and a half and its fine)but the knicks that the plates get which cause snags.

Oh.

That is exactly what I wanted to avoid. Hence, I thought purchasing a higher end model would sole that problem.

I have a Jibere Tourmaline that snags and pulls out strands no matter how small of sections I take.

I bought my Chi several years ago, maybe 2004. After a year and a half it broke. I sent it in to have it repaired. It broke again a year later. (a problem with the cord)

I did not want to send it in again, but I had not found an iron that worked as well. On the website that repairs the Chi, there is a discounted generic Chi iron. It is made by the same people, its a Chi just generic. I bought it and it has worked fine since. Just Google Chi repairs and you'll find the site.

I read that wrapping the cord around the iron is what causes the damage. The generic Chi actually has a reinforced cord so you should not have that problem. I have never experienced any chipping of the plates with mine.

I also wanted to add that I purchased the IQ tourmaline form Sally's
about a year ago. It was maybe $40, and it actually works better at getting my hair straight than the Chi does!

ETA Oh and no snags from the Chi or the IQ!!!

Last edited:
I bought my Chi several years ago, maybe 2004. After a year and a half it broke. I sent it in to have it repaired. It broke again a year later. (a problem with the cord)

I did not want to send it in again, but I had not found an iron that worked as well. On the website that repairs the Chi, there is a discounted generic Chi iron. It is made by the same people, its a Chi just generic. I bought it and it has worked fine since. Just Google Chi repairs and you'll find the site.

I read that wrapping the cord around the iron is what causes the damage. The generic Chi actually has a reinforced cord so you should not have that problem. I have never experienced any chipping of the plates with mine.

I also wanted to add that I purchased the IQ tourmaline form Sally's
about a year ago. It was maybe $40, and it actually works better at getting my hair straight than the Chi does!

ETA Oh and no snags from the Chi or the IQ!!!

Thanks. That's a good tip about not wrapping the cord.
Amd thanks for the tips for generic versions. I was a little nervous because of the warnings on Folica to be on the look out for knock offs.

I am also looking at flat irons on Ebay. I have seen listing for new ones. This is also risky.

i dont know. but i do know that i love my chi so much that if it breaks i will buy another one that same week. i have an fhi as well and its just ok on my hair but the chi is the bomb. i have the generic chi too and its been so long since i used it that i dont even remember how it did.

Back