The Enjoying Our Hair Thread

How Often Do you Enjoy Your Hair?

• Everyday

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Frequently(Once a week+ but not every single day)

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Regularly(at least once a month but not as often as once a week +)

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Sometimes( 6-11 times a year)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Infrequently(3-5 times a year)

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Rarely (0-2 times a year)

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
I don't even know how to start enjoying my hair. I enjoyed my hair in the mini braids, but I need to take a break from them for a while. Loose hair makes me nervous lol probably because I have to be more vigilant.
Remember you can enjoy it at any stage in the game. The preparation and wash day can be relaxing and rejuvenating. The style can be flattering to you and a look that you know you will love. The upkeep can be small steps to give you peace of mind that you are keeping your hair up until the next wash and/or restyle day.
Each time you wear your loose hair successfully will give you the confidence to replace nervousness with confidence and optimism. The key is to take the steps that stack your deck in preparation for success and consider how well you can offset any risk that would cause you to worry.

Last edited:
@ItsMeLilLucky

For example, my hair is just over 4 weeks old. I don't really feel like washing it. So instead of washing and restyling it today, I am stretching this style one more week. It is still soft and smooth. I just feel that half-inch crinkle of soft new growth and notice my ends are a bit drier than the roots and length. Each day and night, when I let it down and put it up, I lose less than 10 hairs daily. So oiling my scalp to give it a cool, stimulating tingle and a bit of moisture(with a nice leave-in) will keep it soft until next week's wash. Right now I am deciding which oil to apply to my scalp. Peppermint oil will be a cool tingle that smells like candy canes all day whereas I have an orange oil pre-blended oil designed to stimulate and invigorate the scalp. It is an orange oil base which is known to uplift the mood. Both are pretty good pre-shampoos. My scalp has no orders and no build-up after 4 weeks. I just love the way the oils smell and feel. I also know they help me maintain a healthy scalp while boosting my scalp and nurturing it. I will enjoy treating my scalp today and giving it a moisture boost with a leave-in. I know my hair will look and feel fine until I am ready to rewash it next weekend...I just decided peppermint oil on my edges, orange oil treatment on the rest of my scalp and the Rene Futerer overnight leave-in on my strands.

Edges (pure essential oils never irritate my skin, I only blend them if I want the benefit of adding something not because I have to cut it)
Bulk of scalp
Strands

I used to love Rene Furterer circa 2010 then I got away from it when I discovered my first staple line. I rediscovered loving it around 2020. The deep conditioning masks aren't as great as I remember, but the serums/oils and leave-in are still fantastic.

I have been wearing my hair down pretty much every day since straightening it. This week will be nice to break out some hair accessories and I might even put in a quick style during the week.

Risk

Stretching my wash and restyle to 5 weeks from last full wash and style day

How I offset that risk to enjoy my hair without damage
Quality preparation, tools and styling on wash an style day
Assessed my hair each day and night for excessive shedding, damage, dryness, and breakage
Apply a bit of leave-in if it feels dry
Kept tangle-free by a quick comb-through daily(no breakage or excessive shedding during this step)
Used seamless combs to make sure each comb-through had minimal manipulation and stress to my strands
Put peppermint oil on my edges during week 4 to stimulate my edges
Oiling my full scalp post week 4 to keep my follicles strong and stimulated
Applying a bit more leave-in today to keep my hair supple and prevent dryness and webbing.

I plan to use accessories this week and oil my hair once more(after today) before complete wash day next weekend.

Last edited:
Back