The dominicans told me I need to sit under the dryer for 2 hours!

so so chic

Is this normal? I know when you're at home you may need to sit under your dryer longer, but is that the case at the shop? I've never had to sit under the dryer that long...is my hair getting that much thicker :confused: .

No, it is not normal. You should be in and out of the salon w/in 2 hours and that's when there are other clients there. Did u ask why?

How long is your hair?

Well, that's me in my avatar. It's a little longer than that in the front and BSL in the back. I think they are putting too much hair on each roller, because I was under there for about 1 hour and 20 minutes and my hair was still not dry all the way. She then had an attitude and I was going to leave the shop with my hair not even blown out and another lady came over and said that I have natural hair and it's long so next time I need to stay under there for 2 hours. You're right, I used to be in and out in 2 hours, so they are trippin'. I'm getting sick of salons.

Yea. Dominicans can be like that when it comes to natural hair sometimes. Maybe they are tyring to convince you to get a perm. :( Do u know how to do a dominican blowout yourself? If not, I can send you instructions. I learned how to do it from my Dominican stylist. It's actually pretty easy. :yep:

Lovelylocs said:
Yea. Dominicans can be like that when it comes to natural hair sometimes. Maybe they are tyring to convince you to get a perm. :( Do u know how to do a dominican blowout yourself? If not, I can send you instructions. I learned how to do it from my Dominican stylist. It's actually pretty easy. :yep:

Hello Lovely, I am also interested in doing my own blowouts. I have tried before, but no luck. Would you mind sending me the instructions and let me know what tools you are using. Thanks

So So Chic :wave:,

They may want you to sit under the dryer until your BSL was completely dry. The blowdryer + water = Steam and steam hurts like hell on your scalp. I have rushed the dominicans once or twice and paid for it when they blew my hair out :( I have just learned to bring a portable DVD player to the salon and watch a movie. I saw the 40 Year old virgin last week and the drying time went by fast! Just a suggestions :D

Girl, you are so right...I swear that dryer felt like fire ( I also think she was trying to burn me on purpose :cool: ). The thing is that it never took so long before. I haven't been there in about a month because I've been doing the cw's and protective thing. I do need to invest in one of those portable dvd players or a ipod or something, that's if I go back. OT, but she was abusing my hair:mad: . I know yall can feel me on that. My hair was REAL tangled/nappy and you should have seen her yanking through it with that small comb. I mean, there was hair for days on that floor. OK, I'm through venting, but it really hurts my heart when my hair is abused :( . I can't let this happen again.

atlien11 said:
So So Chic :wave:,

They may want you to sit under the dryer until your BSL was completely dry. The blowdryer + water = Steam and steam hurts like hell on your scalp. I have rushed the dominicans once or twice and paid for it when they blew my hair out :( I have just learned to bring a portable DVD player to the salon and watch a movie. I saw the 40 Year old virgin last week and the drying time went by fast! Just a suggestions :D

Lovelylocs said:

Yes, PLEASE send it to me. If I could do this at home, and then learn how to trim my ends, the dominicans and every other hair stylists could forget about ever seeing me agian...aside for my wedding day :grin: . Before you know it, all I'll ever need is this board and you guys :) .

so so chic said:
Is this normal? I know when you're at home you may need to sit under your dryer longer, but is that the case at the shop? I've never had to sit under the dryer that long...is my hair getting that much thicker :confused: .

I have always had to sit under a dryer for at least 2 hours if they have the regular round hood dryers. I can't stand salons who have those. My hair is pretty thick and never dried completely less then that especially during touchup time when it takes hair longer to dry.
If its one of those real hot speed bullet shaped head looking dryers then u should only have to be under there 1/2 hour to 45 mins.

sylver2 said:
I have always had to sit under a dryer for at least 2 hours if they have the regular round hood dryers. I can't stand salons who have those. My hair is pretty thick and never dried completely less then that especially during touchup time when it takes hair longer to dry.
If its one of those real hot speed bullet shaped head looking dryers then u should only have to be under there 1/2 hour to 45 mins.
This is what I was going to say. My salon has the speedy dryers and I am only under there for about 1/2hour to 45 min. :)

Nikki, there aren't really any special tools. :nono: It is all pretty much in the technique and in setting your rollers the correct way. :yep: It is so unbelievably easy. :yep: I'm not paying for it again. I think now that I know how to do it myself, I can fool around w/it to get my desired results. My hair is really thick 4a, but it is fine textured so sometimes when they blowout it out it can look a little thinner than it has to. Some people can blow it out so that it is still really full, but it is shiny too. :yep: I can't wait. Once my hair becomes midback, I'm going to have a stylist at a really ta-ta salon cut a nice "celebrity" type style. Then, I will look fabulous everyday. :)

Lovelylocs said:
Nikki, there aren't really any special tools. :nono: It is all pretty much in the technique and in setting your rollers the correct way. :yep: It is so unbelievably easy. :yep: I'm not paying for it again. I think now that I know how to do it myself, I can fool around w/it to get my desired results. My hair is really thick 4a, but it is fine textured so sometimes when they blowout it out it can look a little thinner than it has to. Some people can blow it out so that it is still really full, but it is shiny too. :yep: I can't wait. Once my hair becomes midback, I'm going to have a stylist at a really ta-ta salon cut a nice "celebrity" type style. Then, I will look fabulous everyday. :)

Could you send me the instructions too? I've tried it a couple of times, but it did not come out right. :ohwell:

Hi - Can you please send me the instructions too -- I PMed my e-mail address. Webby had a pretty good Dominican Blow-out on her fotki but her password has changed. If anyone knows the new PW it please PM it to me.

Thanks!

so so chic said:
Girl, you are so right...I swear that dryer felt like fire ( I also think she was trying to burn me on purpose :cool: ). The thing is that it never took so long before. I haven't been there in about a month because I've been doing the cw's and protective thing. I do need to invest in one of those portable dvd players or a ipod or something, that's if I go back. OT, but she was abusing my hair:mad: . I know yall can feel me on that. My hair was REAL tangled/nappy and you should have seen her yanking through it with that small comb. I mean, there was hair for days on that floor. OK, I'm through venting, but it really hurts my heart when my hair is abused :( . I can't let this happen again.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but if you don't mind me asking, where and who did you go to, so I can make sure I avoid them. Thanks.

so so chic said:

COMPLETELY OT . . .Your hair is natural :eek:? It looks so silky. Did you have your hair blown-out by the Dominicans in your avatar? Do you also wear natural styles (twists, cornrows, puffs)? If so, do you have any problems with the heat permanently loosening your texture? Do you have any pictures of the different styles you wear?

You make me seriously consider transitioning.

I think it depends on your hair. When I had relaxed hair it would take almost two hours for my hair to dry completely under the dryer w/a rollerset. That heat was torture the last 20 minutes though. :grin:

Shine-On said:
COMPLETELY OT . . .Your hair is natural :eek:? It looks so silky. Did you have your hair blown-out by the Dominicans in your avatar? Do you also wear natural styles (twists, cornrows, puffs)? If so, do you have any problems with the heat permanently loosening your texture? Do you have any pictures of the different styles you wear?

Yes, I am natural. The picture in my avatar is a Dominican blow-out. Trust me, when I was my hair it looks TOTALLY different. My mom still can't understand how "those people" can get my hair so straight :lol: . But no, I do not wear natural styles. When I decided to go natural, it was mainly because the relaxers were breaking my hair off, and I wanted my hair to be thick and healthy again like when I was a child. So, before finding this board, I wore my hair down (like in the avatar) 100% of the time. Now, I've gotten into the buns, phony ponys, and up-dos (I'm on the hide your hair challenge). I'd never considered my hair to be changed by the heat, but now I do notice that when it's wet, some parts are straighter than others, but that doesn't bother me.

Shine-On said:

Yes, my hair is natural and that is a dominican blow-out in my avatar. But you should see my hair when I wash it :eek: . I do not wear natural styles. Before this board, I wore my hair straight (like my avatar) 100% of the time. Now, I've started to do more protectives styles. I do not have any pics of other styles because when I say that's the only style I wore, I mean that's it. I've have gotten braids before, but that was a while ago. I plan on taking pics of my buns, phony ponys, etc. And, I have noticed that the texture of some parts of my hair are straighter than others, but that does not bother me :) . I'd never really gave it much thought until this board. I actually liked it because it was easier to comb through :look: .

so so chic said:
Yes, I am natural. The picture in my avatar is a Dominican blow-out. Trust me, when I was my hair it looks TOTALLY different. My mom still can't understand how "those people" can get my hair so straight :lol: . But no, I do not wear natural styles. When I decided to go natural, it was mainly because the relaxers were breaking my hair off, and I wanted my hair to be thick and healthy again like when I was a child. So, before finding this board, I wore my hair down (like in the avatar) 100% of the time. Now, I've gotten into the buns, phony ponys, and up-dos (I'm on the hide your hair challenge). I'd never considered my hair to be changed by the heat, but now I do notice that when it's wet, some parts are straighter than others, but that doesn't bother me.

Dang so so chic your hair looks great. Chile your going to have be trying a blow out on my natural hair. I used to get them in NYC on my relaxed hair. I just can't imagine my natural hair coming out really straight. I betta keep hope alive. :lachen:

kitchen_tician said:
I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but if you don't mind me asking, where and who did you go to, so I can make sure I avoid them. Thanks.

I went to Lilys on Jimmy Carter. I hate to give them a bad name because I have gone there for a couple years, but I usually go to Vanessa, but this day I went to Rosa (I had gone to her before, but that day she was the devil :mad: ). I've promised myself never to go back, but if I break that I'd NEVA, EVA go back to that B*#@H. The time before that another lady yanked at my hair the same way. But don't get me wrong, they are great at what they do, but when it comes to my hair, or possibly 4a/4b hair in general, they simply don't understand how to carefully comb through the naps and tangles. Or how to comb from the ends up. If your hair isn't really tangled, you'd be fine.

IS this the only DOminican salon that u have been to as a natural, So_so_chic? Maybe it is a product that they use like KMS. :)

firecracker said:
Dang so so chic your hair looks great. Chile your going to have be trying a blow out on my natural hair. I used to get them in NYC on my relaxed hair. I just can't imagine my natural hair coming out really straight. I betta keep hope alive. :lachen:

I thought the same thing the first time I went there (which was the first time I'd heard of Dominican salons). My freind took me there and I was like there is no way they can get my hair straight with just a blowl dryer :) . I'm going to try and do it myself though, the next time I wash my hair, and just keep practicing. But I'm positive if you go to the dominicans, they can get your hair straight, just go to some that care about your hair. And thanks for the compliment.

Last edited:
Lovelylocs said:
IS this the only DOminican salon that u have been to as a natural, So_so_chic? Maybe it is a product that they use like KMS. :)

This is basically the only shop I've gone to. I've only gone to two other dominican salons ever (1x each).

Lovelylocs said:
:( Do u know how to do a dominican blowout yourself? If not, I can send you instructions. I learned how to do it from my Dominican stylist. It's actually pretty easy. :yep:
Will you please send that to me as well! so so chic. If she doesn't read this will you send it to me, please. Thanks!!

Two full hours under the dryer in the salon is not completely uncommmon
When I had waistlong hair, I had to stay more than one and half hour under the dryer in Mom's salon, with a lot of rollers over the head (I was barely entering under the hood) ....This was the weekly routine.
I have asked my mother regarding your question, she already had some clients with very long hair (at the butt) who required that time to fully dry .... as pointed out, the last half hour was a nightmare, but the girls did stand it.
But in your case, this is not normal:a possibility is that the hairdresser did not put a lot of rollers, so too much hair on some rollers did slow down the drying

Lovelylocs said:

I'd like to know this as well. Thanks for sharing.

Back