The Beyond Waist Length Thread

Cichelle said:
:lol: 90 is a great age to have long hair. But I'm sure you'll get there way before then!

I buy my butters online from one of two places: FNWL or Oils By Nature

I'm sure you can get them from stores somewhere. I just haven't found them. (I haven't looked too hard, either, though.)

Thanks! I will try online. I think my hair is close to your texture, but I am not quite sure yet:D I am transitioning, and it seems like every day it is different!

Braided~Beauty said:
:wave:
I'll join in!

My goal length is midback unstreched, so I guess that would be hip or tailbone maybe?

My hair has been braided up for the last year and I am giving it a little break right now. I will probably braid it back up in October. For now I am just playing in my hair, trying different styles. I know thats probably not good but I am being VERY limited on the amount of heat I use. I figure whats the point of long hair if you cant have a little fun with it! I know, I am so undisciplined :p

I loved looking at your fotki! Your hair is long and beautiful. And those curls!!!

schipperchow1 said:
I'd like to join, although I probably won't reach my goal of hip/tailbone length stretched until July/August 2009:eek:

I've started up with the co washing since the weather is warm out & I think my hair likes...Will continue DCing each week & protective styles - buns, french braids, etc

HHG to all!:grin:

HHG to you, too. Keep it simple. It will grow. :yep:

my goal is hip length. though ill probably only be at midback or waist length by the end of next year.. so maybe in 2009.... yikes that seems so loong way :|

silvergirl said:
my goal is hip length. though ill probably only be at midback or waist length by the end of next year.. so maybe in 2009.... yikes that seems so loong way :|

It does, but the time is going to go by anyway. May as well grow your hair!:D

tld723 said:
Thanks! I will try them... What butters do you use? My hair is very dry

I adore avocado and hemp seed butter, those are my staples. But macadamia nut butter is also really nice, it's more expensive though.

Pure mango butter melted down and mixed with coconut oil and papaya oil is great.

mochamadness said:
I'm crossing my fingers and aiming for tailbone length.

I just plan on keeping my hair well conditioned and moisturized. I also plan on keeping the manipulation down to a bare minimum and dusting my ends regularly to avoid any major trims.

It looks like you'll be there really soon. I love your two ponytails.:)

I'm in! A tailbone-length blowout w/ thick, curled ends is my ultimate goal.

I believe I will be there in July 2010. I just got my hair back in great shape after a few years of being all over the place so I really hope it will be smooth sailing now.

Good luck, ladies! We have to remember to check in:)

Last edited:
B_Phlyy said:
My ultimate fantasy goal is tailbone length stretch, which is probably about APL or BSL unstretched. It is going to be a while though because my hair grows insanely slow.

To the ladies who are using butters, how exactly do you apply it? I have a sample of Elasta QP Mango Butter, but I don't have the slightest idea of how to make it work for my hair. I'm scared it'll leave a clumpy white residue.

We have the same goal. I look forward to seeing you meet your goal girl. Now that you are conquering the pjism. :)

silvergirl said:

I don't know silvergirl, your hair grows so fast. I think you could make hip by the end of next year.

My goal is classic when stretched with a full hemline- which would look like tailbone when curly. That's another 2 years away.:nono:

Mochamadness- your hair is beautiful!

I'm in!

My goal is hip length hair when curly. That ought to mean around Classic length when stretched.

My hair is currently a little past waist length and I think I will have reached my goal in a year or two. :)

I'll keep doing what I'm doing right now - practise gentle hair care - to reach my goal.

Happy growing ladies! :D

Wow, this is truly amazing. This is wonderful how many women are interested in lengths beyond WL. I remember a thread last year where "does anyone want hair less than WL?(or something like that)" So i was astonished that alot of ladies were :spank: WL. I'm very happy for you, ladies. As of this moment, WL is still my ulimate goal.

cmw45 said:
Awe LocksOfLuV, you could definitely get there...at LEAST to waist length. Your hair actually reminds me of Babygurls hair...and look at her beautiful hair now.:grin:

I kind of felt the way you do...but my reason was because I loose so much hair (trimming because of knots) so, because I have my own personal challenge...as well as joining/kind of this one, I have decided that I will no longer wear my hair just loose and out. I think the wash and gos are what give my hair time to get tangled and knot, which is what stunts my growth.

ETA: Where are some more of my 4a/b girls? I know ya'll got some beautiful heads too...ahemmmm, Babygurl, Sistaslick, Kinicakes,...ahemmm and WHERE IS AJAMERICAN Diva? I know she's got to be at waistlenght now!

Here, here. :wave: I'm a 3c, 4a, 4b combo.

I'm not were Babygurl, Sistaslick, and Kini are but my goal is TBL. Hopefully, I'll be able to achieve my goal. I'm natural like you, and I think you are correct regarding tangles and knots.

Last edited:
jaded_faerie said:
i'd like to be waist length stretched...but I've got some time till then...(just recently BC'ed)

guesstimating December 2012 :/

i just plan on keeping it simple, protective styling, and healthy eating!:)

If you are consistent with those things, you might get there sooner than you plan. :)

GoldenBreeze said:
Another beyond WL hopeful checking in.

My goal is TBL stretched. That will probably be WL unstretched.

Right now I'm CO washing, DC'ing at least weekly, using very little heat (2x's this year so far), protective styling, low manipulation, watching moisture/protein balance.

ETA: ...also baggying.

You are another person I was hoping to see here!

Maybe I should start DC'ing weekly. What are you using?

Starr1 said:
My goal is classic when stretched with a full hemline- which would look like tailbone when curly. That's another 2 years away.:nono:

Your hair is beautiful, I love the braid.:)

Cichelle said:
You are another person I was hoping to see here!

Maybe I should start DC'ing weekly. What are you using?

Awww.... Wow, I'm honored!:blush: Your hair is so long and beautiful that I can't imagine you were hoping I'd be a part of this thread.:eek:

Right now I have two DC's in rotation, Kenra MC, and 10 En 1.

Starr1 said:

Starr1 - I just looked at your fotki; your hair is beautiful!!

Starr1 said:

Thanks!!! So is yours, I'm loving your length!!

Count me in!!!!!!!!
Really, I want Crystal Gale-type dragging the floor length hair. But I don't know how easy/practical it would be to care for that super-length while homeschooling and running a home based business.

Plus DH thinks hair that long looks like Captain Caveman... not a turn-on for him. :barf:

I think that classic length is the perfect compromise, and I do feel it's doable.

I'm doing the Crown & Glory method for the next 2 years. I get pretty close to an inch per month, so I can expect some decent length during that time. We'll see after that if I continue with C&G to acquire more length, or if I wear my hair out.

When I do finish with the braids, I'll be protective styling for sure, I can't wait to have the length for some of those old Edwardian updos. :D

I'm in too! My avatar is from last December and I've been stretching ever since. Hopefully I've gotten some good length in the last 6 months. I suddenly decided to get a touch up which will happen later today by my stylist (wish me luck!). :look:

ETA I would like to be tailbone length!

For those of you who are already waistlength & beyond, do you ever wear your out or mainly wear protective styles? What about rollersets to straighten? Do you think that's too much manipulation? I have a hot oil treatment on my head now & will shampoo w/phyto nectar & cond w/phytokarite, then use my phytodefrissantwith some BB straightening glaze.

I really want to get to those longer lengths while enjoying my hair & feeling beautiful at the same time. The bun is fine for work, but when I go out, I feel like an old lady, even with the beautiful jeweled hairsticks decorating my bun:ohwell:

This will be the second time this month I would have done a rollerset to wear my hair out...Do you think I can still reach my beyond waist goal? When the weather gets cold & I go back to wearing wool coats, the hair will be back in the buns until the next Spring.

TIA...Schip

joyousnerd said:
Count me in!!!!!!!!
Really, I want Crystal Gale-type dragging the floor length hair. But I don't know how easy/practical it would be to care for that super-length while homeschooling and running a home based business.

Plus DH thinks hair that long looks like Captain Caveman... not a turn-on for him. :barf:

I think that classic length is the perfect compromise, and I do feel it's doable.

I'm doing the Crown & Glory method for the next 2 years. I get pretty close to an inch per month, so I can expect some decent length during that time. We'll see after that if I continue with C&G to acquire more length, or if I wear my hair out.

When I do finish with the braids, I'll be protective styling for sure, I can't wait to have the length for some of those old Edwardian updos. :D

I'm right there with you.

I love the way the old fashioned "nest of braids" updos look. I know a lot of people think they're dowdy, but I just love them. Unfortunately I'm not good at styling hair at all.

Classic length seems like a perfect compromise to me too.:) As much as I admire hair below the knee on others I don't think I'd want to care for that much hair, and I think when I wore it down it would make me look shorter.

schipperchow1 said:
For those of you who are already waistlength & beyond, do you ever wear your out or mainly wear protective styles? What about rollersets to straighten? Do you think that's too much manipulation? I have a hot oil treatment on my head now & will shampoo w/phyto nectar & cond w/phytokarite, then use my phytodefrissantwith some BB straightening glaze.

I really want to get to those longer lengths while enjoying my hair & feeling beautiful at the same time. The bun is fine for work, but when I go out, I feel like an old lady, even with the beautiful jeweled hairsticks decorating my bun:ohwell:

This will be the second time this month I would have done a rollerset to wear my hair out...Do you think I can still reach my beyond waist goal? When the weather gets cold & I go back to wearing wool coats, the hair will be back in the buns until the next Spring.

TIA...Schip

I wear my hair down sometimes. Honestly, when I started wearing buns I didn't even know I was "protective styling", I just wanted to keep my hair up and out of the reach of my baby's hands.:lol:

I don't roller set. I bought some big rollers, but I'm just too lazy to do that much work. :look: When I wear my hair down I wear it in it's natural state, curly all over. I straighten twice a year with a flat iron.

I don't see why you couldn't reach your goal. there are a lot of ladies here who rollerset and have long hair. They have much more patience than I do.:)

Thanks, Camellia. I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot & miss my goal because I want the immediate gratification of enjoying my hair on this beautiful sunny, low-humidity day:grin:

Back