The Advantages of a Dominican Hair Salon...

Alpha Female

Because I'm fairly new to the LHCF family, and really just starting my 'healthy hair' journey, this is a legitimate question to increase my own knowledge and understanding. I see many mentions to Dominican hair salons. What exactly do Dominican hair salons offer/do that makes them so great? Is it the products they use? Is it the approach they take towards hair in general? Can they truly handle a variety of textures - natural, relaxed, texlaxed, etc.? And last, but not least, does anyone know of a good Dominican hair salon in Houston, Tx? Thanks, Ladies!

Because I'm fairly new to the LHCF family, and really just starting my 'healthy hair' journey, this is a legitimate question to increase my own knowledge and understanding. I see many mentions to Dominican hair salons. What exactly do Dominican hair salons offer/do that makes them so great? Is it the products they use? Is it the approach they take towards hair in general? Can they truly handle a variety of textures - natural, relaxed, texlaxed, etc.? And last, but not least, does anyone know of a good Dominican hair salon in Houston, Tx? Thanks, Ladies!

In NYC, there's a Dominican hair salon on every other block. Generally speaking, they do hair extremely well. I can honestly say that I will let almost any Dominican stylist trim my ends. One of the Dominican salons that I go to uses an array of products: Salerm, Mizani, Affirm... I think that I saw a Silicon Mix shampoo bottle in there, lol.

I think the well deserved hype surrounding Dominican stylists exists because of the good experiences people have had with them. That's not to say that they can do no wrong, though.

In NYC, Dominican salons can be relatively inexpensive. I can payany where from $10 to $20 for a wash and (roller) set. I suspect that it may be a bit more pricey in TX.

I hope you find a good place!

Hello, this is my first post, I've been a lurker off and on for YEARS..

Ironically I just went through this in Houston. There are 3 Dominican Salons in Houston that I found through searching the forum.
1. Ana's Salon (near Fondren and Richmond)
2. Betty's Salon (near 45 S... I think)
3. Honduras Salon (on Rampart

Betty's is not near my job, so I didn't attempt to call there. I called Honduras Salon, but no one spoke any english so I was unable to get any information via telephone. I ended up going to Ana's Salon on Thursday. I got there around 6 and there were 3 other women in the salon getting there hair done. The lady washed my hair and sat me under the dryer for a deep conditioner. After that she set my hair and placed me under the dryer for about an hour. When I was done, she took the rollers out and Ana blew out my hair with a round brush and blowdryer. My hair looked VERY VERY good and very straight (I am 7 weeks post, with viviscal and BT so my new growth is very thick).

I paid $40 and I gave her a $5 tip. I was there a little less than 2 hours. I will probably go back again.

Thanks Plain Jane and Necy...and welcome to the boards Necy! :grin:

I've heard a lot about Betty's, but it's not close to me either. Ana's is fairly close to me so I may give it a try. I'm 8 weeks post-relaxer, and I've heard the Dominican salons do a mean blow-out, and really know how to keep natural and transitioning hair healthy.

Bumping for more replies from anyone who can share their Dominican Salon experience...

First of all, Dominican salons aren't all created equal, but at their best they are excellent! They can handle most textures because they have a wide array of textures within their ethnicity, however straight hair is their goal so most likely they will push for a relaxer. In Latin American culture the hair ideal is long, shiny/silky hair with swing. A lot of Dominican woman have hair textured similar to many of us so they've perfected achieving the straight and bouncy hair without the flat irons and heat (particularly detrimental to fragile black hair). Part of the reason for their popularity is that they provided black women with results that were seen (at the time) as only attainable by straight haired women.

Their approach to hair care probably goes against many of the things our moms would have done, no grease, very little leave in, a little shine serum, but heavy on the deep conditioners and home recipes. A good Dominican salon tends to focus on hair care as much as the styling.
Their rollersets alone yield shiny, straight hair. I get my roots blown out and I'm done. Dominican stylist use the blow dryer like a second hand so be careful, too much and you're in for major breakage. It's 2yrs and I've just now perfected the same rollerset at home.

Lastly, price. The good ones can offer the results you would expect from a high end salon for $15/$20 for a wash, set and blow dry. Like anything, moderation is key and not all salons are equal. As with any trend you have a lot of Dominican salons opening up and sometimes it's by ppl that know nothing about hair or don't have any respect for clients. So beware of salons where they rush you in and out or are rough with your hair.

Last edited:
Personally, I would never go to a dominican salon again. I was a bi-monthly customer for approximately 10 years until I came to my senses, and went natural. The round brush they use tears your hair out & splits your ends, and the heat from the blowdryer is UNBEARABLE. You can literally see the smoke. I do not believe they practice good techniques, or care about their customers hair.

Last edited:
I've been to a Dominican salon a few times and I love it! I've had far more memorable experiences there than I have at my old salons of the past. You can be specific and tell them exactly what you want without them copping a Tude. You can also bring your own products with you for them to use. Its also very inexpensive which is always a plus. I get a DC, rollerset and my roots blown only for $30.

Welcome Alpha Female ... I use to go to ana since 2001 until present ( after moving to Houston from N.J.) :(the only one I would trust with my hair when I was relaxed , she is excellent ( except for the time she opens sometimes:lachen:) The oil treatment ,(super cnditioner) is great . Now that I am natural and keep my hair in tree braids I havent been in awhile . Give her a fair chance and I'm sure I'll meet you there soon !!!:grin: Andkeep us posted

thye are pretty cheap and you are usually in and out when you go. but the ones I have went to apply the relaxer too sloppy, and there is no client stylist relationship. the ones i go to charge about $20-22 for a wash,DC, and blow out of the roots. when i was in MD they charged $45 for a wash and rollerset and that didnt even include the DC!

First of all, Dominican salons aren't all created equal, but at their best they are excellent! They can handle most textures because they have a wide array of textures within their ethnicity, however straight hair is their goal so most likely they will push for a relaxer. In Latin American culture the hair ideal is long, shiny/silky hair with swing. A lot of Dominican woman have hair textured similar to many of us so they've perfected achieving the straight and bouncy hair without the flat irons and heat (particularly detrimental to fragile black hair). Part of the reason for their popularity is that they provided black women with results that were seen (at the time) as only attainable by straight haired women.

Their approach to hair care probably goes against many of the things our moms would have done, no grease, very little leave in, a little shine serum, but heavy on the deep conditioners and home recipes. A good Dominican salon tends to focus on hair care as much as the styling.
Their rollersets alone yield shiny, straight hair. I get my roots blown out and I'm done. Dominican stylist use the blow dryer like a second hand so be careful, too much and you're in for major breakage. It's 2yrs and I've just now perfected the same rollerset at home.

Lastly, price. The good ones can offer the results you would expect from a high end salon for $15/$20 for a wash, set and blow dry. Like anything, moderation is key and not all salons are equal. As with any trend you have a lot of Dominican salons opening up and sometimes it's by ppl that know nothing about hair or don't have any respect for clients. So beware of salons where they rush you in and out or are rough with your hair.

Welcome! I agree 100% with the bolded based on my experience. My hair cannot take all that heat. In the past I've noticed alot of shedding after getting my roots blown out. Although the hair is shiny and bouncy, please do not ignore any unusual shedding or breakage. Good Luck!

Back