Texlaxers Support Thread

I'm coming home! I've been waring with myself the last few weeks over whether to end my 1 and a half year transition/stretch and finally decided. I want to texlax and will be doing so this evening. So excited!!! I felt such peace with my decision and there were many factors involved in making it. I plan to pick up some Silk Elements lye relaxer (never tried it but, I've always wanted to.)and mix it with EVO. Not sure if I'm going to go for mild or medium? Leaning toward medium (do they even carry that?). Hoping that just adding some EVO will be enough to produce the desired results...Not expecting much as far as length because I've been chopping off my ends as my hair grew. In fact, I'm worried I'll have major thinning at the ends due to the past massive tangling/breaking of my relaxed ends warring with my natural.
this is me... i started transitioning then i realized it's not what really wanted... but i really did want texture and to preserve my thickness so i decided to texlax... best decision for me... i too use silk element lye... i use the mild version.. i use a separate container to add some of the relaxer (1 container last me 2-3 uses)... then i add a bunch of oil to it- to the point the relaxer curdles:yep::drunk:... then apply as usual... by the time i'm ready to rinse the relaxer out my hair still has a wave pattern... my technique softens & slightly loosens my natural wave/curl pattern

eta
I love to have some curl/wave left after processing, and it allows my hair to maintain its thickness over the years

I'll use Silk Elements Lye Mild instead of Mizani Butter Blends Lye Mild; I think the Mizani was the reason I had excessive shedding at 6-10 wks post.
:yep:

Last edited:
I have 2 questions for the ladies who wear their hair straight. How often do you wash your hair and how often do you straighten?

I flatironed and wrapped for christmas but I'm a water bug, I can't stand not washing my hair for more than a week.

I have 2 questions for the ladies who wear their hair straight. How often do you wash your hair and how often do you straighten?

I flatironed and wrapped for christmas but I'm a water bug, I can't stand not washing my hair for more than a week.

When I'm wearing my hair straight, I wash it & straighten it every 2wks.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

I straighten every wash day (currently, once a week). Depending on how far into my stretch I am, I'll do a regular rollerset or ponytail rollerset then flat iron my roots if necessary.

I used to cowash/wash more often, but it wasn't helping my newer, straighter texturized hair thrive.

All my texlaxed ladies :)

Not sure how many of your are incorporating ceramides into your regiment; however, if you aren't you might want to mosey on over to the 2013 Ceramides Challenge thread and see what we've got going on over there! Ton's of information and trust me when I tell you that ceramide-rich products have increased both shine and softness to my texlaxed hair. I can't live without my Sunflower or Grapeseed Oils (GSO)!

Hopefully I see you ladies there.

xoxo Crys Melissa xoxo

All my texlaxed ladies :)

Not sure how many of your are incorporating ceramides into your regiment; however, if you aren't you might want to mosey on over to the 2013 Ceramides Challenge thread and see what we've got going on over there! Ton's of information and trust me when I tell you that ceramide-rich products have increased both shine and softness to my texlaxed hair. I can't live without my Sunflower or Grapeseed Oils (GSO)!

Hopefully I see you ladies there.

xoxo Crys Melissa xoxo

http://relaxedhairhealth.blogspot.com/2010/01/stronger-cuticle-layer-with-ceramides.html?m=1
I been hooked on ceramides for over a year now.:)

I've been thinking about texlaxing for the last month and a half now & think that will be my step when I do relax. I'll be 10 weeks post tomorrow & my last relaxer was 10/19/12. This thread has really been motivational & educational on what to expect with texlaxing. I've heard so many good things about it & very little bad things. There are a couple of ladies on youtube that I follow who transitioned from relaxing to texlaxing & both have achieved thickness and length in about 2 years. I've been in kinky twists for 3 weeks now & plan to keep working with these (re-doing them again the first week in January) so that I can continue to stretch longer. It's easier working with the new growth in the twists.

I am so happy with my texlaxed hair! My last touch up was way underprocessed and my new growth is thick and hard to manage, I did Chicoro's pre-poo and my hair feels amazing, I used a modified version of KT leave in and I was so happy with my comb for the first time in months!!! I think I have found my new lover...AVJ!!!!

New member alert....

Hi everyone :newbie:
Just wanted to introduce myself! I've been an avid reader and lurker of LHCF for several years and I've just officially joined. A bit of background info: After suffering from thinning hair and limited hair growth, I got my last relaxer in the Fall of 2006. I did my Big Chop in July 2007 and have been natural ever since. I have learned so much about natural hair care and healthy hair practices. My hair is a tightly curled/coiled 4a and ranges from SL (crown) to almost BSL (very back).

I'm now interested in Texlaxing. I've researched for the past year and I'm excited to do it at the beginning of March. My goal is to loosen my super tight curl pattern, reduce my major shrinkage (80-85%), and help with manageability.

Thank you so much for creating this thread. It has given me additional knowledge plus I've gotten to see some beautiful heads of hair. I look forward to being an active part of this community. Nice to meet you all!

Sweet Sunshine

Hi everyone

I also have been natural for sometime but I think I experience a lot of different things with my hair but I really need to do something with my hair and it's gonna be textlaxing. I don't know what or how to start and pointers?

Hi everyone

I also have been natural for sometime but I think I experience a lot of different things with my hair but I really need to do something with my hair and it's gonna be textlaxing. I don't know what or how to start and pointers?

Hi NaturalBlessing29,

The first page of this thread has many links explaining Texlaxing, how to, pros and cons, plus pics.... It's an excellent start. Hope that helps!

Hello Yall,

I officall went back to relaxing-well texlax. I was in the Transitioning to Natural thread and was 10 months strong. I realize it did more harm than good.

I texlax last night and loving it. I will texlax every six months and go from there.

Well Im here, for now.

Last edited:
I just texlaxed today at 22 weeks post and I may have to adjust my mixture and add a little less sunflower oil and restorative masque than before and a little more relaxer. I just wrote the new revised mix for my next texlaxer session.

I just texlaxed today at 22 weeks post and I may have to adjust my mixture and add a little less sunflower oil and restorative masque than before and a little more relaxer. I just wrote the new revised mix for my next texlaxer session.

I'm interested...what's your mix ratio?

I'm interested in the mixture you used as well. Also, about what percentage are you texlaxed? I'm aiming to be about 60-70% as my curl pattern is really tight. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey ladies!

I know a lot of people like to use ApHogee 2 Minute Reconstructor for their Mid-Protein step before neutralizing ...

Has anyone ever used Ultra Sheen Duo Tex Protein Conditioner (contains Collagen Protein) or
Jheri Redding Natural Protein Conditioner (contains Soy Protein) for this step?

Hey ladies!

I know a lot of people like to use ApHogee 2 Minute Reconstructor for their Mid-Protein step before neutralizing ...

Has anyone ever used Ultra Sheen Duo Tex Protein Conditioner (contains Collagen Protein) or
Jheri Redding Natural Protein Conditioner (contains Soy Protein) for this step?

NappyRina, these are very strong proteins nad your hair would have to be very damaged or breaking excessively to use them.

I only use them once every 8-10 weeks or so and usually it would be during the week BEFORE I texlax or a week AFTER I texlax if I missed using the week prior to texlaxing.

By the way, I texlax at no less than 16 weeks post. My last texlax stretch was 22 weeks long.

If you are having excessive breakage, then go ahead and use it but if not, use a milder proetin reconstructor/treatment for the mid-relaxer step.

@NappyRina, these are very strong proteins nad your hair would have to be very damaged or breaking excessively to use them.

I only use them once every 8-10 weeks or so and usually it would be during the week BEFORE I texlax or a week AFTER I texlax if I missed using the week prior to texlaxing.

By the way, I texlax at no less than 16 weeks post. My last texlax stretch was 22 weeks long.

If you are having excessive breakage, then go ahead and use it but if not, use a milder proetin reconstructor/treatment for the mid-relaxer step.

Thanks!! Aggie

Thankfully my hair is not damaged...in fact I don't think it really likes protein that much so I definitely want to avoid a strong protein treatment! I think I may use the Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner instead .... do you think this will be mild enough to be used as a Mid-Protein step?

Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner
Deionized Water, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Cottonseed Oil, Panthenol, Balsam Peru, Olive Oil, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A) , Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Rosemary Extract, Barley Extract, Stearalkonium Chloride, Glyceryl Stearate, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed RNA, Hydrolyzed DNA, Octyl Dimethyl PABA, PEG-100 Stearate, Sodium Caseinate, Sodium Hydroxide, Corn Oil, Organic Aloe Vera Gel, Citric Acid, Organic Essential Oil, Caramel, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Botanical Fragrance.

I also have the Mill Creek Jojoba & Biotin Conditioners which also contain keratin. I want to avoid using ApHogee 2 Min b/c it contains silicone (which my hair hates) and I already have these other protein conditioners in my stash.

Thanks!! @Aggie

Thankfully my hair is not damaged...in fact I don't think it really likes protein that much so I definitely want to avoid a strong protein treatment! I think I may use the Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner instead .... do you think this will be mild enough to be used as a Mid-Protein step?

Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner
Deionized Water, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Cottonseed Oil, Panthenol, Balsam Peru, Olive Oil, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A) , Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Rosemary Extract, Barley Extract, Stearalkonium Chloride, Glyceryl Stearate, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed RNA, Hydrolyzed DNA, Octyl Dimethyl PABA, PEG-100 Stearate, Sodium Caseinate, Sodium Hydroxide, Corn Oil, Organic Aloe Vera Gel, Citric Acid, Organic Essential Oil, Caramel, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Botanical Fragrance.

I also have the Mill Creek Jojoba & Biotin Conditioners which also contain keratin. I want to avoid using ApHogee 2 Min b/c it contains silicone (which my hair hates) and I already have these other protein conditioners in my stash.

I have used the Mill Creek Keratin conditioner before (hydrolyzed keratin is pretty high up the ingredients list so this makes it a predominantly protein conditioner) NappyRina and yes it is mild enough to use but not too strong. I like this conditioner.

The jojoba and biotin conditioners are moisturizing and thickening conditioners and even though they may have keratin in them, they are not actually protein conditioners however.

Well after a week of not doing my hair. (being sick and life) im going to wash with MJ Super Slip Sudsy shampoo and condition with Brazilian Kertain and Argan Oil Conditioner.

I will probally do a light blow dry, since im still sick. Don't want to air dry.

Edit to add comment below:
Well I end up using the MJ shampoo: it's a plus very soft non stripping shampoo. Very smooth and conditioning. I like it.

I did not use the Brazilian Kertain conditioner, instead I used the Mizani Thermasmooth conditioner. I really love this stuff.

Also I finally found my staples for a leave in conditioners. Kinky Curly Leave in conditioner- excellent. Makes its easy to comb thru and maintain the moisture.
I also been using the shea moisture products. Coconut and Hisbicius conditioner styling milk. Love it. Gives my hair the additional moisture and I use the spray as a sealant

I also like the soufflé. I use it like a gel. It gives a nice hold. I like the products are semi natural and I can pick up at the store.

Even after not doing my hair in a week these products made it easy manage with no issues.

Also to add, even before I wash my hair, my hair felt soft and moisturized. When before using these products my hair felt dried out.

My journey for looking for my staples is over.

I'm going to stock up on the Shea moisture products at Target while the sale is still on.

Last edited:
Just texlaxed yesterday at 24 weeks post. Three inches of new growth was SO difficult I swore I'd never stretch 6 months again, but relaxing it yesterday made me reconsider; having three inches to relax was a joy, versus the one or two I would have from a shorter stretch. But well see. Here's a pic of my wet hair and my flexiroded hair shortly after!

Last edited:
Sometimes I get so tempted to texlax my hair. I just so afraid of how it will turn out. I see some where their hair has no curl, just kinda bushy (not curly or straight). Then I see others who get such a nice natural-looking curl definition. My hair is a 4a/3c mix (with a few random straight strands) and I can only imagine what crazy results I'd get.

Sometimes I get so tempted to texlax my hair. I just so afraid of how it will turn out. I see some where their hair has no curl, just kinda bushy (not curly or straight). Then I see others who get such a nice natural-looking curl definition. My hair is a 4a/3c mix (with a few random straight strands) and I can only imagine what crazy results I'd get.

Hmmm, Incognitus I'd just say make an educated decision, with research and planning and luck, I think you could achieve great results! I think the key though is strand testing to find your desired results and processing time needed.

Hmmm, @Incognitus I'd just say make an educated decision, with research and planning and luck, I think you could achieve great results! I think the key though is strand testing to find your desired results and processing time needed.

NGraceO Yeah, I may try a strand test. I have to think about it a little more. I wonder if anyone has ever texlaxed only part of their hair?

So do most people use the actual texturizers or just relaxers?

NGraceO Yeah, I may try a strand test. I have to think about it a little more. I wonder if anyone has ever texlaxed only part of their hair?

So do most people use the actual texturizers or just relaxers?

Incognitus
It just depends. I've heard people who use both. I use a relaxer in regular strength that u dilute with oil and leave on only for abt ten minutes. But I've heard people do it differently.

Back