Texlaxers Support Thread

Dang, Aggie. Your hair is beautifully texlaxed! Your curls are poppin. So you say it feels just a little looser than your natural look (which was on an poppin too, mind you)? And you texlaxed the day after you henna'd? Do you think the it would've been more processed without the henna first? I mean, you put oil in the relaxer to slow down the processing but you think the henna further contributed to the result?

I'm taking notes girl. Be clear. :grin: TIA

Thank you NJoy. My very first attempt at texlaxed hair a couple of years back, I added oil but this last attempt a few months ago - nothing was added to the relaxer and neither did I shorten the relaxing time. I truly believe it was the henna treatment the day before I relaxed that caused the results I got this time around.

I believe if you want straight hair, you would have to wait until after 3 days following a henna treatment to relax. But because I relaxed within 3 days of the henna treatment, I got texlaxed results instead of bone-straight results.

You see, the henna forms a coating around the hair strands, thereby, tremendously preventing the relaxer from producing straight results. This is how I plan on texlaxing moving forward. I may henna 2 days prior to my next relaxer instead of just one day before.

I also saturated my scalp with Blue Magic grease the night before and the morning of the relaxer. By the time I got to the relaxer, all my hair strands were also quite coated in grease. I will be doing this again as well:grin::yep:.

So, the results in the pic, how did that dry? Was it soft or did it shrink up more? Or did you put something in to enhance the curl? Details appreciated. :lick:

So, the results in the pic, how did that dry? Was it soft or did it shrink up more? Or did you put something in to enhance the curl? Details appreciated. :lick:

My hair literally looks just like it does in the pic after I wash it. That was still a little damp and after it air-dries totally, it shrinks a tiny bit more but I like it a lot. I leave a tiny bit of light conditioner mixed with a little natural oil of my choice and go on my way. I have also put Qhemet Biologics AOHC in it before and it leaves my hair nice and soft. I am so happy I don't have to put any gels in it at all.

When I first put in the conditioner and oil, it looks a little whitish (from the conditioner I think) until it somewhat dries. It dries soft and shiny and clean looking. Oh, if you want a little more shine, try using some serum as a sealant. I have been using Joico K-Pak Protect & Shine Serum or you can spray it with a light oil like Design Essentials Oil spray, for example.

It's time to henna and texlax again because my new growth is now getting out of control. I will be doing them this weekend:yep:.

Oh by the way, NJoy, once I wash and condition my hair, I DO NOT comb it. I simply add a little conditioner and oil to wet hair, gently squeeze excess water with a cotton cloth and let the remaining water drip until dry. I would normally leave a towel around my shoulders for this.

I am texlaxed and have been so for years. But if I wanted straighter hair, I would just leave the relaxer on my NG longer and apply it all the way to the ends. I won't be doing that though 'cuz I love my texlaxed hair! :grin:

I've been texlaxed for almost 3 years now and if I had to cut my texlax ends off because I wanted to perm later, I wouldn't have done in the first place.

If by perm you mean go "bone straight" instead of textured hair, then you can certainly achieve these results with a corrective relaxer, but I wouldn't do it unless you were absolutely sure of what you were doing -- otherwise, I'd seek professional assistance.

However, the point is, I've relaxed previously texturized hair before without any problems, however, it was only to loosen my curl more, not to completely straighten my strands.

I guess I'm just concerned that I may damage or break off my hair - but I guess its safe to do so.

What Is a corrective perm btw?

picture26xx.jpg

By used2bbald at 2011-03-18

I used the JFM texturizer. It came with oil. So far I am somewhat pleased with it. I wear a lace wig as a protective style. I am new to this site so I will definitley use this site as a support system to learn my way around. My current goal is sl. My long term goal is wl. I hope that I learn about helpful tips with this forum.

I've lightly texlaxed my hair after a 38 wk stretch. Um, lightly is putting it lightly. I'm still getting tangling at the roots. I've only been finger detangling so far but, I need to do a serious detangling soon. What are you ladies using to detangle your texlaxed hair?

TIA

I've lightly texlaxed my hair after a 38 wk stretch. Um, lightly is putting it lightly. I'm still getting tangling at the roots. I've only been finger detangling so far but, I need to do a serious detangling soon. What are you ladies using to detangle your texlaxed hair?

TIA

Woo hoo! I haven't seen this thread in a while! This used to be my favorite. AWESOME stretch BTW! I don't think I'll ever make it that far.

Oh, and as for input...Honestly, a good straightening after texlaxing does a lot for my tangles after a texlax. I always wait a week to do this though. I use the regular old Jilbere shower comb. I'm going to be trying the Redken detangling cream soon though.

I'm pretty sure my "lightly texlaxed" hair has fully reverted. I think I'm going to have to do a "slight" corrective with my next touch up. I don't want it straight but, c'mon.

Basically bumping this thread. :grin: How y'all doin?

Can anyone please post some video on how to self textlax?

I will be doing this myself after a horrible disaster from a “professional” ( which I paid $375 at a salon).

I want to do this right this time…PLEASE HELP : (

I did end up texlaxing for the first time on Friday. The application time took 20 min (I went 5 min over the recommended time (stupid me) Thank goodness I diluted it.

My hair came out so beautiful, I haven't got to see the curl pattern yet but I know its there because after I DC I felt the waves. As soon as I got out the shower I added my leave ins and started my straightening process. My hair was SO nice and full! I am in LOVE!

Since I only wear my hair straight once a month my hair is back in it's braid out style. I just can't wait to wash this weekend so I can examine my hair more.

Now on to a long ride down transition lane. I want to be FULLY texlaxed but I'm not BC'ing my bone straight ends. I will just have to learn how to manage my ng, txlx, and relaxed ends. I will keep you ladies updated.

Ok! I'm scared crapless but I may just do my own texlax next round. My thing is I want to have a fresh or at least a semi-fresh TU for my birthday in a couple of months, so I could either:
1. Brave out a texlax now and do another right before my B-Day in T minus 9 weeks OR
2. Stretch another 6 or 7 weeks (already at about 13 now- YIKES!) and try to do my first henna to maybe loosen up my texture in the meantime...this NG is a beast!!

In summary, I normally bun as a PS but lately fighting my NG and relaxed ends have become difficult. So before I start experiencing breakage...and while I gain enough bravery to take the self texlax plunge, should I hennna or something else? Agree? Disagree? Suggestions?

Last edited:
@newnyer...I have no experience with henna, so I can't comment on that.

If you are afraid to texlax your own hair, I say don't do it. To avoid breakage, I suggest flatironing your roots so they will blend with your already-relaxed hair and hopefully prevent breakage at the demarcation line. Flatironing will also make it easier to extend your stretch to closer to your birthday, which will give you more time to research and practice self-texlaxing...I know some ladies have practiced with conditioner.

In a few weeks, you will hopefully feel comfortable with doing your own touchup.

Last edited:
prospurr4. Thanks! My edges are a little sensitive to breakage but as long as I don't overdo it with the flatiron that may buy me a few more weeks. Great tip on the practice sessions with the conditioner- I'll try that out for my next DC on Saturday. If my timing for my next TU is off a little bit & i may buy more time with cornrows or something. I definitely want to get more comfortable before plunging into the DIY game with chemicals. Thanks again!

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using myTouch_4G_Slide

I texlaxed this past thursday @ 17 weeks post. I used Mizani BB Regular diluted with a 1/2 cup of EVOO. I used the half and half method and processed each half for 12 min. Best results ever!!!

ok, so I finally ended my long 10 month stretch and texlaxed the new growth. I wasn't sure if I was going to transition, but in the end, I really think texlaxing is best for me. I get more manageability, and keep some texture.

I used Mizani Butter Blends for fine/color treated hair, mixed in 1/4 cup of EVOO, created my own Honeyshield for my previously texlaxed hair, and as always the results were perfect! :yep:

Next up is a henna treatment and then weave it up for the next few months! I so love this board! I've finally been able to retain some length and feel that I am on my way to my goal!:yay:

I'll be 24 wks post on Tuesday. I planned to wait until the end of the year to texlax but, what's the point? No need to take that risky line of demarc into the winter months. I think 6 month stretches is more than reasonable. Whatcha think?

BTW, where is everybody?

NJoy I have gone as long as ten months , but I tailor my touch ups to my needs. 6 months is my goal but I know i CAN go longer if need be. I'm with you. I touched up at 20 weeks this last time becuase I had so much new growth it became hard to handle. I didn't want breakage from my impatience, so I did my touch up.

I say do what works best for your hair health. ;)

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

Can you go from Texlaxed to Relaxed? I found the texlax to be a bit drying. So Im thinking about switching to relaxer next time. Would that be ok?

Can you go from Texlaxed to Relaxed? I found the texlax to be a bit drying. So Im thinking about switching to relaxer next time. Would that be ok?

Yes but you would have to do a corrective relaxer. Relax the new growth first then pull the relaxer throughout the rest of the length until smooth. HTH!

Smiley79 said:

I just re-relaxed a month ago, less tangles and my hair isn't shedding as much. As before, relax New growth then pull through hair. To maintain body I do Bantu knots or pin curl.

I just re-relaxed a month ago, less tangles and my hair isn't shedding as much. As before, relax New growth then pull through hair. To maintain body I do Bantu knots or pin curl.

I remember when I tried that a few years back it was a disaster. I had breakage city. Now, I am happy with my textlax hair.

I am still texlaxing my hair and I am currently 10 weeks and 1 day post my last one. I seem to be able to stretch a lot longer now quite easily between my texlaxers. My last stretch was about 20 weeks but maybe I'll be texlaxing just before the Christmas holidays this time around (about 16-17 weeks post). I need my hair to have that fresh texlaxed look I love so much.

Currently my texlax formula is:

3.5 tablespoons of Affirm Creme Relaxer (mild, lye)
1oz of sunflower oil
1 teaspoon of Keracare Restorative Mask.

Mix well together and add to properly based scalp and hair. I use affirm and keracare products predominantly along with some Redken items. Adding Enjoy, TRI Design, Mastey, and Pureology hair products soon. Also, I am a henna and indigo addict:grin:!

Last edited:
Back