Texlaxers Support Thread

I have been reading this board and this thread for months(finally paid yesterday). So I decided to texlax and I told my stylist when I made the appt. I would never have noticed the injustices to my hair before but let me tell you what happened.
First she took a small comb and parted/ ripped my hair to apply relaxer. I heard my hair breaking. Then she applied relaxer on at least 5 inches of my hair although I only had 1 inch of NG. Then she shampooed and roller set without conditioning. I went home and washed and dc'd.

I have going for a while and never noticed these things but I am educated because of you guys. My dilema is where do I go from here. I can't texlax if she overlaps.My ng is still wavy btw. I am thinking of doing it myself but I am scared my hair will fall out. Should I just tell her or spend the next 2 months reading how to self relax? Any thoughts?

I am a Do-it-yourselfer for many years and am now much more knowledgeable about hair in general thanks to LHCF but if I go to a salon for a touch up the one thing I do is base my scalp well the night before and the day of processing. I also coat all my hair with a protein conditioner or an oil based moisturizer, (anything really) up to the new growth to protect the already straightened parts from overprocessing. This way I get the same results at home as well as from the salon. Honestly I get perfect texlaxed results everytime!
The second thing that I do is I stretch b/n 12-16 wks and due to this my hair is significantly thicker.
I do frequent protein DC's b/c I have fine/medium texture that is prone to being overly porous.
Lastly and most importantly, when you go to the salon: Speak up! It's your hair.
Learn how to be vocal about your hair about the little things like a wash and set or how they comb or blow out your hair or what products they use on your hair so that when it comes to something major like a relaxer or trim they know that 1) you don't play and 2) you will be in practice in speaking up in defence of your hair.
That's all that I can think of now. HTH
bbd

Last edited:
Yes, and I'm dc'ing twice a week. Wen, Alter Ego garlic dc, and henna are my stretching staples. I henna twice a month. I use a light protein every time I dc, and a heavy one twice a month (on my non-henna weeks). I'm, maybe, 2" from apl, but my goal is bsl, and then I'm gonna start the mini-chops, so I'm in this for the long haul.

Protective style-wise, I just starting using flexirods, but I notice they always look better the second day, so I'm trynna get my technique and styling right. I'll post pics here when I get it together, though. As for that twist-out, I was really feelin' myself that day :lachen:, but that style was a tricky one. The more I think about it, the more I'm realizing that the texture at the root was the result of a mistake. I was doing a test, letting it air dry without any product or any manipulation, so I didn't comb or brush the roots, hence the texture. When I dry normally, I can get the roots to somewhat match the relaxed part, ie, no interesting texture.

Now, let me ask you: how did you accomplish that protective style in your siggy? cuz you are lookin' mighty silky there, girl! :gorgeous:

@ tressjalen
Paraphrasing, 'you can *** up your hair by yourself'; there is no need to pay for disappointment. Be glad you still have some hair left on your head (cuz mine would have been out), and KIM.

my .02

I definitely agree with the bolded! I never really went to a hair salon on a regular basis, but I find it crazy that a hairdresser wouldn't DC especially after a relaxer...

As far as my protective style, that's my half wig :) I wear a half wig as my main protective style...I'm trying to hide my hair until the condition improves(I need to get rid of my bad ends). It's good for hiding the majority of my hair which I like, so I can just leave it in a bun or cornrows underneath. I also don't have to worry about dealing with the different textures too much since my hair is never out(except a little in the front).

Henna is also on my list of things to try...:grin:

Thanks for the advice. I don't think i will be going back to her. I had a hard time finding a styist that owns an watch and cares about my hair. I chose this one cause she is fast. :perplexed

My hair is surprisingly not in bad shape. I guess I have tough hair because I was flat-ironing my hair daily prior to June, no dc's, using oil as a moisturizer, getting bad relaxers, and i thought carols daughter was the bomb. :lachen: I have hair that is slightly passed sl. I have not been longer than SL ever so i think if I pay attention to my hair it may turn out amazing. My hair used to be really thick and now it is average thickness so I hope to regain the thickness and some new length.

I am going to focus on my regimen and learn how to self-relax over the next couple months. I went 8 weeks last time(a record). I hope to be 10-12 weeks next time so I have plenty of time. I will be around for more advice! :grin:

Glad to hear your hair isn't in bad shape! Ms_Twana made a good suggestion with looking in the hair salon forum and maybe you'll find a good hair salon. I found a good salon that I like, which I go to occassionally. There's tons of info on the board, I'm sure you'll find lots of useful stuff:grin:

Just wanted to drop in and say hello to all of the Texlaxers out there...many of you are my inspirations. I have been transitioning for over a year now. I have now intention of texlaxing anytime soon...I want to get as much new growth as possible before I go to the stylist. I think I may go another year before I actually go and get it done.

For now I am just taking it all in...it seems that this is a one time deal and if the relaxer stays on too long you can completely ruin the look that you were intending.

Good luck to you all!!!

Yesterday I did my first texlax after being relaxed nearly bone-straight for years. I added cholesterol conditioner, coconut oil, and a bit of SAA. I think my conditioner and my relaxer were equal parts. I coated my hair with conditioner and castor oil and then applied. I was a nervous reck and I don't think I left it on for any more than 8 minutes from app to rinse. Didn't notice much difference in my new growth other than it was easy to comb through. No curls, maybe a lil waves. I rinsed the relaxer out, put Aphogee 2 minute Reconstructor on for about five minutes, rinsed, neutralized for about ten minutes, rinsed, used Porosity Control for about 5 minutes, and then DC'd for an hour. my hair came out pretty soft and moisturized.

Then I added leave in, coconut oil, and heat protectant, blowed dried on cool 80% and medium 20%. and flat-ironed. looks ok I think :look:.

my ends are thin..almost makes me want to cut my hair and start over:ohwell:

Attachments

• Photo on 2009-10-05 at 07.39.jpg
    Photo on 2009-10-05 at 07.39.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 52
Yesterday I did my first texlax after being relaxed nearly bone-straight for years. I added cholesterol conditioner, coconut oil, and a bit of SAA. I think my conditioner and my relaxer were equal parts. I coated my hair with conditioner and castor oil and then applied. I was a nervous reck and I don't think I left it on for any more than 8 minutes from app to rinse. Didn't notice much difference in my new growth other than it was easy to comb through. No curls, maybe a lil waves. I rinsed the relaxer out, put Aphogee 2 minute Reconstructor on for about five minutes, rinsed, neutralized for about ten minutes, rinsed, used Porosity Control for about 5 minutes, and then DC'd for an hour. my hair came out pretty soft and moisturized.

Then I added leave in, coconut oil, and heat protectant, blowed dried on cool 80% and medium 20%. and flat-ironed. looks ok I think :look:.

my ends are thin..almost makes me want to cut my hair and start over:ohwell:

Your hair looks nice! I love the color.:grin:

What relaxer did you use? Was it lye or no-lye?

I'm looking at my hair now and I think the hair I texlaxed 2 weeks ago is a straighter than the hair that was texlaxed before at the salon:perplexed At least the front of my hair seems that way...which is ok I guess since I always wear half wigs and that's the part you see...

Next time I'm gonna try to apply it faster and maybe add conditoner to it. I'm also going to try a lye relaxer and see if that makes a difference.

Your hair looks nice! I love the color.:grin:

What relaxer did you use? Was it lye or no-lye?

I'm looking at my hair now and I think the hair I texlaxed 2 weeks ago is a straighter than the hair that was texlaxed before at the salon:perplexed At least the front of my hair seems that way...which is ok I guess since I always wear half wigs and that's the part you see...

Next time I'm gonna try to apply it faster and maybe add conditoner to it. I'm also going to try a lye relaxer and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks! I am trying to find a substitute for my beloved henna, no luck so far:ohwell:. I used Optimum MultiMineral Creme Hair Relaxer, which has a reduced pH. I am planning on BKT-ing my hair this weekend in the hopes it will make my hair a lil straighter and fortify it as well. I think that if I can get texlax results with BKT like Fabulosity, then I will use it to just transition to natural. If it doesn't work for me, then I will continue to texlax (something I've been doing by accident anyway for years, :grin:). I dunno:look:. Worst case scenario, I'l just blunt cut these thin ends and start growing out from there. Since I know I can grow my hair with the right hair care practices, gaining length quickly is become less and less and issue. I want thickness and health more.

I'm getting a (texlax) touch-up today for several reasons.

1. I reached my personal stretching goal! :clapping: Like I've said before, I used to touch-up my perm every 4 weeks, like clockwork, because my hair grows fast and I didn't know how to work that line of demarcation. It would be breaking and shedding and acting crazy (not 'reverted', but really dry, etc). Anyway, as you can see, I joined in Aug, so one of the first things I decided to do was stretch for 8 weeks, just to see if I could, and I did. (shout out to Wen and flexirods, one love and all that, lol)

2. I kind of od'd on the Chi keratin mist. What had happened was... :lachen:... seriously though, this Sunday, I did my co-wash with heavy protein, in preparation for my touch-up. Unfortunately, I ran out of my Nexxus headdress, my second-string staple creamy leave-in, and then I saw, like, three broken hairs. Y'all understand how traumatic that is: I'm, literally, three days or so from my goal, and I start having breakage?! Noooooooooo! It took me a few days, but I was finally able to find my long-lost boo, Paul Mitchell 'The Conditioner' and I slathered it on... just the way you're supposed to welcome home a long-lost hair boo. It was fabulous. I had a cigarette afterward. :2inlove::lachen:

3. After that little incident, I decided to hurry up and texlax, like, today. The way I figure it, I made it from Aug 15-Oct 14 (and if you wanna get technical, August had 31 days, so really... lol, let's not get technical).

On technique

My mom and I did my first texlax together (in Aug). We fumbled through, and it came out okay, but you know me- I'm never happy. So, over the past two months, I've been researching all kinds of texlax techniques, both here and at other sites, but mostly here. What I've found is that what I did before was basically right: apply the pre-conditioner stuff that comes with my perm (vitale no-lye sensitive scalp), apply the perm, leave it on for less time (6-7 min instead of bone-straight 12-13), rinse, reconstruct, neutralize.

This time, I've added a few things, culled from the wonderful ladies at LHCF (mostly). I wish I could remember names, but I have a terrible, terrible memory, so if you know who said it, please share so we can show them some love.

1. Hours before you get started (long enough for it to dry), spray your new growth lightly with some thing liquidy (water, protein leave in, whatevs). That way, you can differentiate between your new growth and your already texlaxed hair.

2. Apply Chi silk infusion to the whole head (I guess anything with protein would work). The extra layer of protein is supposed to mimic another layer of cuticle, thereby protecting your hair and slowing the process down a bit. I kinda think I did this already, with my keratin overload, but I'm still putting some chi on, just to be on the safe side. :yep:

3. Apply neutralizer to the already texlaxed/relaxed portions of your hair, to prevent over-processing from run-off.

4. Pre-section the hair beyond the normal 3-5 sections most people make when they're doing a relaxer. (I'm thinking somewhere around 12-15 sections for my little, fine-haired head, but that's just me.) Make little twists, starting at or around the end of your new growth. The reasoning behind this is that, you don't have a lot of time to waste during the texlax process parting and messing with the hair falling into your face.

So, wish me luck. I think I might take pics, cuz I really could have used some when I was first looking into texlaxing.

1. I reached my personal stretching goal! :clapping: Like I've said before, I used to touch-up my perm every 4 weeks, like clockwork, because my hair grows fast and I didn't know how to work that line of demarcation. It would be breaking and shedding and acting crazy (not 'reverted', but really dry, etc). Anyway, as you can see, I joined in Aug, so one of the first things I decided to do was stretch for 8 weeks, just to see if I could, and I did. (shout out to Wen and flexirods, one love and all that, lol)

2. I kind of od'd on the Chi keratin mist. What had happened was... :lachen:... seriously though, this Sunday, I did my co-wash with heavy protein, in preparation for my touch-up. Unfortunately, I ran out of my Nexxus headdress, my second-string staple creamy leave-in, and then I saw, like, three broken hairs. Y'all understand how traumatic that is: I'm, literally, three days or so from my goal, and I start having breakage?! Noooooooooo! It took me a few days, but I was finally able to find my long-lost boo, Paul Mitchell 'The Conditioner' and I slathered it on... just the way you're supposed to welcome home a long-lost hair boo. It was fabulous. I had a cigarette afterward. :2inlove::lachen:

3. After that little incident, I decided to hurry up and texlax, like, today. The way I figure it, I made it from Aug 15-Oct 14 (and if you wanna get technical, August had 31 days, so really... lol, let's not get technical).

On technique

My mom and I did my first texlax together (in Aug). We fumbled through, and it came out okay, but you know me- I'm never happy. So, over the past two months, I've been researching all kinds of texlax techniques, both here and at other sites, but mostly here. What I've found is that what I did before was basically right: apply the pre-conditioner stuff that comes with my perm (vitale no-lye sensitive scalp), apply the perm, leave it on for less time (6-7 min instead of bone-straight 12-13), rinse, reconstruct, neutralize.

This time, I've added a few things, culled from the wonderful ladies at LHCF (mostly). I wish I could remember names, but I have a terrible, terrible memory, so if you know who said it, please share so we can show them some love.

1. Hours before you get started (long enough for it to dry), spray your new growth lightly with some thing liquidy (water, protein leave in, whatevs). That way, you can differentiate between your new growth and your already texlaxed hair.

2. Apply Chi silk infusion to the whole head (I guess anything with protein would work). The extra layer of protein is supposed to mimic another layer of cuticle, thereby protecting your hair and slowing the process down a bit. I kinda think I did this already, with my keratin overload, but I'm still putting some chi on, just to be on the safe side. :yep:

3. Apply neutralizer to the already texlaxed/relaxed portions of your hair, to prevent over-processing from run-off.

4. Pre-section the hair beyond the normal 3-5 sections most people make when they're doing a relaxer. (I'm thinking somewhere around 12-15 sections for my little, fine-haired head, but that's just me.) Make little twists, starting at or around the end of your new growth. The reasoning behind this is that, you don't have a lot of time to waste during the texlax process parting and messing with the hair falling into your face.

So, wish me luck. I think I might take pics, cuz I really could have used some when I was first looking into texlaxing.

sound like some great techniques. I will use some of those. I will be self texlaxing for the first time in about 3 weeks, and I am SUPER nervous. I used to relax my own hair back in undergrad, but that was over 10 years ago. :ohwell:

I'm thinking about just going to someone instead, since I'm so nervous.

Please take pics.:-)

Oh my goodness....I love/want your hair!!! :grin:

I will be self texlaxing for the first time in about 3 weeks, and I am SUPER nervous.
I read on here somewhere that, if you're nervous about perming/texlaxing, you should practice with a timer, some thick conditioner, and a friend. Apply the conditioner like a perm, timing yourself. At the end, ask your friend to check through it, and see if you did what you were planning. Are you natural (meaning you'll need to do your entire, virgin head of hair) or transitioning from relaxed (meaning, way quicker)?

Oh my goodness....I love/want your hair!!!
Me too! Miss BHF, you betta hope I don't see you in the street, cuz I might run up on you...

and, compliment your hair.

(I'm a mess, really. :lachen:)

I read on here somewhere that, if you're nervous about perming/texlaxing, you should practice with a timer, some thick conditioner, and a friend. Apply the conditioner like a perm, timing yourself. At the end, ask your friend to check through it, and see if you did what you were planning. Are you natural (meaning you'll need to do your entire, virgin head of hair) or transitioning from relaxed (meaning, way quicker)?

Yeah, I plan to do that with my CPR this weekend. I'm texlaxed. In April I had a stylist to give me a virgin texlax. I was natural before that.

Me too! Miss BHF, you betta hope I don't see you in the street, cuz I might run up on you...

and, compliment your hair.

(I'm a mess, really. :lachen:)

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Okay. I have been debating whether or not to self texlax, or go to a stylist. Well, I decided to go ahead and practice today with some Motions CPR. That way, if I go to a stylist next week, I'll already have the protein step knocked out.

WOW....where do I start. Ummmmmm...it took me almost 18 minutes on the FIRST HALF. I used a comb, and it kept getting caught in my hair. Every time I tried to part the next section, my ends were tangled. (I put some condition on my hair to easily detect where my demarcation line was, so my ends were sticking together.) AND I was overlapping. Boy am I glad I practiced. I'll be making an appointment for my old stylist.

How in the WORLD are some of you ladies self texlaxing. There is NO WAY my hair would be texlaxed with as long as it just took me. The second half would be bone straight and the first half would be over processed.

For those of you that go to a stylist, did you have to teach your stylist about texlaxing, or did they already know? See, I haven't been to this stylist in 3 years. And it's been even longer since she's relaxed my hair. I don't know if she knows about texlaxing or not. And I'm afraid that she'll get my hair straighter than I want it. WHAT'S A GIRL TO DO?!?!? :sad:

^^I put stuff in my relaxer to slow down the processing time, I coat my previously relaxed hair to protect over lap and I think I'm going to start doing one half of my head at a time because I'm too slow with my application also.

^^I put stuff in my relaxer to slow down the processing time, I coat my previously relaxed hair to protect over lap and I think I'm going to start doing one half of my head at a time because I'm too slow with my application also.

Hmmm...I forgot about that option...doing one half at a time. When I did the second half, I just used my fingers, and it was faster. Now I remember that I used my hands when I used to self relaxer before. It took so much time because I would part with the comb (slowly pulling hair apart due to tangles), clip remaining hair, then apply CPR with the comb. With the second half, I part with finger (still slowly) then apply relaxer while holding the remaining hair with my other hand.

I've already called my old stylist. She told me to call her back Monday. I've found a couple of salons in my area that use Mizani BB. I've been debating on trying it. Since they're mall salons, they're open tomorrow. So, I'll go interview the stylist. :lachen:

Most people water down their relaxers with actual water or oils (perhaps a combo of both). I've also heard of some putting conditioner on their hair just before texlaxing to slow down the process.

Anywho...my stylist was already familiar with texlaxing process although she didn't call it that. The first time I went to her she stated " I would like you to keep some of your hair's integrity so I'm not going to relax it bone straight." <<< Right then I knew she was the one for me :grin:

Last edited:
Most people water down their relaxers with actual water or oils (perhaps a combo of both). I've also heard of some putting conditioner on their hair just before texlaxing to slow down the process.

Anywho...my stylist was already familiar with texlaxing process although she didn't call it that. The first time I went to her she stated " I would like you to keep some your hair's integrity so I'm not going to relax it bone straight." <<< Right then I knew she was the one for me :grin:

That's what's up.

See I don't really know how to approach my new hair views with my old stylist. When I talked to her, I asked her what relaxer she uses. She said Affirm and Design. She asked what I have. When I told her Elasta QP, she said she hates Elasta QP. Which is fine. But then she said "your hair is thick, so I've got something for your hair", which is Design because that's what she used before. But how do I go in now and say, okay don't get my hair completely straight, use a protein conditioner after rinsing the relaxer out, leave the neutralizing shampoo on my hair for about 5 minutes before you rinse it out, and cut SPLIT ENDS ONLY?? She's gone be like, "what the hell." I feel like I'd rather start with a new stylist so that she can know what I expect from the beginning. But, then I reread Basili's thread on choosing a stylist, and she said don't get a chemical the 1st couple of times. I don't have several hair appointments to wait for a relaxer. :ohwell:

I know for sure that I will have to adopt this method (bolded) AJJ because I am starting all over again and I will have a head of virgin hair to texlax when I'm ready. thanks for sharing.

Hmmm...I forgot about that option...doing one half at a time. When I did the second half, I just used my fingers, and it was faster. Now I remember that I used my hands when I used to self relaxer before. It took so much time because I would part with the comb (slowly pulling hair apart due to tangles), clip remaining hair, then apply CPR with the comb. With the second half, I part with finger (still slowly) then apply relaxer while holding the remaining hair with my other hand.

I've already called my old stylist. She told me to call her back Monday. I've found a couple of salons in my area that use Mizani BB. I've been debating on trying it. Since they're mall salons, they're open tomorrow. So, I'll go interview the stylist. :lachen:

Interview the stylist! That's a good one Ms_Twana, I like it :lachen:.

:lachen:Girl, it is like I'm iinterviewing them for a job. I need to make sure they can handle me being a micro-manager. :lachen:
Hey that's the way to do it! If they throw you 1 ounce of shade, you throw them the deuces :peace: and then roll out that place with a quickness and a smile. Next!

Miss Twana, you remembered! Okay, so it came out good, and I took plenty of pics, but it's been raining and really windy all weekend, so I haven't straightened it. Plus, it was cold, and for the first time EVAH, I was like, hmmm, maybe I should do a protective style, lol. LHCF is getting to me, girl! :lachen:

But the weather's supposed to break Tuesday, I think, so I'll straighten it then, cuz really, I can't wait to do a length check.

Now on to the topic of your 'mock texlax' session, lol.
WOW....where do I start. Ummmmmm...it took me almost 18 minutes on the FIRST HALF. I used a comb, and it kept getting caught in my hair. Every time I tried to part the next section, my ends were tangled. (I put some condition on my hair to easily detect where my demarcation line was, so my ends were sticking together.) AND I was overlapping. Boy am I glad I practiced. I'll be making an appointment for my old stylist.

A lot of people texlax one half of their head at a time, that might be helpful to you. Also, re-read my post about 2 pgs ago about the process I used, cuz I mentioned making those twists, and it really worked out well, in terms of avoiding the tangling. The process was way faster than usual, ie, parting with the comb each time. Depending on how many "sprockets" (what my mom calls them) you make, of course. I made about 15, and I have a little pea head, lol.

And about interviewing the stylist... um, what makes them the only profession in the world that doesn't get interviewed?? If I'm walking up in somewhere, letting some woman I have never seen before put chemicals on me that could make me bald, please believe I will be giving her the third degree. Shoot, she need to be glad you don't ask for her social security number and at least five references. smdh.

Miss Twana, you remembered! Okay, so it came out good, and I took plenty of pics, but it's been raining and really windy all weekend, so I haven't straightened it. Plus, it was cold, and for the first time EVAH, I was like, hmmm, maybe I should do a protective style, lol. LHCF is getting to me, girl! :lachen:

But the weather's supposed to break Tuesday, I think, so I'll straighten it then, cuz really, I can't wait to do a length check.

A lot of people texlax one half of their head at a time, that might be helpful to you. Also, re-read my post about 2 pgs ago about the process I used, cuz I mentioned making those twists, and it really worked out well, in terms of avoiding the tangling. The process was way faster than usual, ie, parting with the comb each time. Depending on how many "sprockets" (what my mom calls them) you make, of course. I made about 15, and I have a little pea head, lol.

And about interviewing the stylist... um, what makes them the only profession in the world that doesn't get interviewed?? If I'm walking up in somewhere, letting some woman I have never seen before put chemicals on me that could make me bald, please believe I will be giving her the third degree. Shoot, she need to be glad you don't ask for her social security number and at least five references. smdh.

:lachen: I'm glad it went well. Girl, I had been looking for your post. I could remember that you had some good tips in there, I just couldn't remember what or where I read them. I JUST found them and reread it. That's when I remembered your were going to texlax using those techniques.

I'm actually about to go up here now to this salon and check things out (I'm gonna hit up that JCPenney sale, too :yep:). But, I think I'm going to just add a WHOLE bunch of stuff to some SE Shea Butter mild relaxer, and do it myself. I REALLY just don't wanna go through having to tell a stylist what to do step by step (oh baby...NKOTB :lachen:) I might as well just do it myself. :ohwell:

:lachen:@ sprockets That's the official name for them now!!

And amen to the bolded !!! :amen:

On technique

Bummmmping :bump: This fabulous technique!!! I'm going to do this tonight myself! :yep:

On technique

Oh, yes by the way, we need pictures of the sprockets please :giggle:

Be prepared to post your results!!! :yep: :grin:
I'm going to textlax and then bun until the middle of the week or next weekend when I will do my BKT. It won't be much to see until I so my BKT, the it will be fabulousness!! I can post pictures then...

I'm going to textlax and then bun until the middle of the week or next weekend when I will do my BKT. It won't be much to see until I so my BKT, the it will be fabulousness!! I can post pictures then...

That's fine. Be sure to let me know how the techniques worked out. I'll be using some of them Friday.

Back