Texlaxers Support Thread

I'm bumping this thread too :)

Next saturday I'm going to texlax my hair myself.:look: I went to the salon a few weeks ago and got it done there for the first time, but this time I want to try it by myself. I'll be 6 weeks post... I usually wait 8 weeks but I want to try this before I go on vacation.
I plan on putting SAA on my hair and NG...and maybe add some evoo to my relaxer. I'm using a no-lye relaxer.... would it be too much to use the SAA and evoo? Is one enough?

I usually add both to my relaxer and I would use a protein based moisturizer like Profectiv Mega Growth or Cantu Break Cure on the length of my strands to protect them from any overlapping that might take place. The amount you add would depend on how much curl pattern you still want left in your hair.

4b's, how long do you leave your relaxer on? Preferably with SE. I would like maybe 70% relaxed results. I'm thinking 15 mins. Is that long enough?

4b's, how long do you leave your relaxer on? Preferably with SE. I would like maybe 70% relaxed results. I'm thinking 15 mins. Is that long enough?

OMG No! 15 minutes would make your hair bone straight unless you havae pretty coarse hair. I'd say reduce that to about 8-10 minutes.

OMG No! 15 minutes would make your hair bone straight unless you havae pretty coarse hair. I'd say reduce that to about 8-10 minutes.

So, you're 4b and only need 8-10 mins? This just goes to show, having the same hair texture doesn't necessarily mean the relaxer will react the same. I did a texlax about 5 months ago and my hair turned out just slightly looser than my natural hair. If I remember correctly, I left it on for 10mins. So, I was checking how long other 4b's are keeping theirs on. I'll do a strand test for my next attempt.

So, you're 4b and only need 8-10 mins? This just goes to show, having the same hair texture doesn't necessarily mean the relaxer will react the same. I did a texlax about 5 months ago and my hair turned out just slightly looser than my natural hair. If I remember correctly, I left it on for 10mins. So, I was checking how long other 4b's are keeping theirs on. I'll do a strand test for my next attempt.

The bolded is a very good idea:yep:. My hair is 4b, fine and processes pretty quickly so yes I have to leave the relaxer on for a short time and this is even after I have added SAA and EVOO to it.

I usually add both to my relaxer and I would use a protein based moisturizer like Profectiv Mega Growth or Cantu Break Cure on the length of my strands to protect them from any overlapping that might take place. The amount you add would depend on how much curl pattern you still want left in your hair.

Thank you! I'll try using both and see how it turns out. :)

I'm so late in seeing this post.

I'm 4b, texlaxed and total application/smoothing time for my touchups is 12 minutes.

When comparing touchup times, I think it's important to consider how fast the person may be appying the relaxer, which would affect how long the creme is actually processing the hair. I've been a self-relaxer for MANY years, so I move through my hair quickly; half of the 12 minutes (6 minutes) is spent applying, and I'm smooth during the remaining half.

I hope you love being texlaxed as much as I do.

Bump, Bump, Bump...

Any updates ladies?

I'm so late in seeing this post.

I'm 4b, texlaxed and total application/smoothing time for my touchups is 12 minutes.

When comparing touchup times, I think it's important to consider how fast the person may be appying the relaxer, which would affect how long the creme is actually processing the hair. I've been a self-relaxer for MANY years, so I move through my hair quickly; half of the 12 minutes (6 minutes) is spent applying, and I'm smooth during the remaining half.

I hope you love being texlaxed as much as I do.

I am LOVIN those two heads of hair!!!!! :grin: :yep:

My update is I decided to transition. I've got a long road ahead of me because I plan to transition for 1.5-2 years.

So I never did texlax my hair last month, I went on vacation and ended up getting a sew in. I'm 12 weeks post now and will finally be texlaxing it tomorrow.

I just read through this thread again and a couple of the others and I've figured out what I'm going to do. There seems to be a lot of options, but for this time I think I'll just add evoo and saa to both my hair and the relaxer....we'll see how things turn out!

So I never did texlax my hair last month, I went on vacation and ended up getting a sew in. I'm 12 weeks post now and will finally be texlaxing it tomorrow.

I just read through this thread again and a couple of the others and I've figured out what I'm going to do. There seems to be a lot of options, but for this time I think I'll just add evoo and saa to both my hair and the relaxer....we'll see how things turn out!

Sweet. Let us know. I will be self texlaxing (for the first time EVER) at the end of October. I don't even remember the last time I self relaxed PERIOD. It's been a loooong time. So I've been researching like crazy.

OT: what's saa??

Sweet. Let us know. I will be self texlaxing (for the first time EVER) at the end of October. I don't even remember the last time I self relaxed PERIOD. It's been a loooong time. So I've been researching like crazy.

OT: what's saa??

It's silk amino acid. It's supposed to be good for protecting the hair when relaxing. I was just reading a thread about it, there's a link to it in the self relaxers thread.
I'll update tomorrow!

Last edited:
It's silk amino acid. It's supposed to be good for protecting the hair when relaxing. I was just reading a thread about it, there's a link to it in the self relaxers thread.
I'll update tomorrow!

Aaaaahhh.....okay. Hmmmm... Where do you get it from??

Is there anyone who texlaxes and doesn't have a "cute" wash and go style? My curl pattern is softened but it's not much of a pattern anymore, so the wet look doesn't work. Anyone else?

I don't add anything to my relaxer (Mizani regular). My hair is naturally resistant, so my mom puts it in, smooths it down and it rinses it out...takes 30 mins and won't go bone strait.

Soo...I did my hair today and I think it came out ok. I definitely learned I have to work on not overlapping too much...
I used Africa's Best no-lye because that's what I had on hand, I added a squirt of saa and about a tbsp of evoo(I didn't measure). Application time and amount of time I left it on my hair took a total of 15 minutes(including the 1 or 2 minutes I took to wash my eye out after some of the relaxer got on the end of my hair and got into my eye:nono::look:).
I felt like I was rushing while doing it cause I was nervous it would overprocess...even though I used evoo and chi silk infusion and a little protein filler(yea i know, alot) on my hair yesterday and added vaseline today before I relaxed.
After I rinsed out I used aphogee 2 min reconstructer and left on for a few mins, then washed with neutralizing shampoo about 4 times and left on for a few mins each time. Then followed up by DC'ing.

I don't know how my hair will look once it's completely texlaxed but I'm going to stick with this. I always wear protective styles anyway, so I'm not worrying about how my hair looks when it's out just yet...
I'm including some pics for those that are interested...I hope we can start adding more pics here, I'm really interested in how others people's hair looks! I'm sure I could improve somewhere.

374476341.jpg

374476340.jpg

NG before relaxer. No idea what my hair type is. Any ideas??:grin: I did blow dry my hair on cool last week and that's how it looked...if that makes a difference.

374476338.jpg

After washing and neutralizing.... yea, I know my hair is dry....I'm working on it!

374476336.jpg

374476334.jpg

374476337.jpg

Comparing texlaxed ng and relaxed ends...I had vatika oil and my alter ego leave in.

Is there anyone who texlaxes and doesn't have a "cute" wash and go style? My curl pattern is softened but it's not much of a pattern anymore, so the wet look doesn't work. Anyone else?

I don't add anything to my relaxer (Mizani regular). My hair is naturally resistant, so my mom puts it in, smooths it down and it rinses it out...takes 30 mins and won't go bone strait.

Girl, my wash & go would look a HAM!!! :lachen:

ETA: You can check out my hair after my first texlax: http://public.fotki.com/Ms-Twana/hair-album-1/new-texlaxed-hair-1/1st-relaxer-in-almo/

374476341.jpg

374476340.jpg

NG before relaxer. No idea what my hair type is. Any ideas??:grin: I did blow dry my hair on cool last week and that's how it looked...if that makes a difference.

374476338.jpg

After washing and neutralizing.... yea, I know my hair is dry....I'm working on it!

374476336.jpg

374476334.jpg

374476337.jpg

Comparing texlaxed ng and relaxed ends...I had vatika oil and my alter ego leave in.

It looks like you did a good job. I like the texture. And I know, I want to see more pictures, too. :grin: :yep:

Last edited:
Thanks...I'll see what it looks like it a few weeks. Last time I got it done at the salon it didn't seem like I got a relaxer at all...hopefully this one will be a bit better. :)

I have been reading this board and this thread for months(finally paid yesterday). So I decided to texlax and I told my stylist when I made the appt. I would never have noticed the injustices to my hair before but let me tell you what happened.
First she took a small comb and parted/ ripped my hair to apply relaxer. I heard my hair breaking. Then she applied relaxer on at least 5 inches of my hair although I only had 1 inch of NG. Then she shampooed and roller set without conditioning. I went home and washed and dc'd.

I have going for a while and never noticed these things but I am educated because of you guys. My dilema is where do I go from here. I can't texlax if she overlaps.My ng is still wavy btw. I am thinking of doing it myself but I am scared my hair will fall out. Should I just tell her or spend the next 2 months reading how to self relax? Any thoughts?

Wow, how did I not see this thread? I'm a 4a/b(?), CL length, and transitioning to texlaxed, with about 6 wks of newgrowth (.5-.75"), 1-1.25" of texlaxed hair. I used to perm every 4 wks, but I feel like I can stretch forever. Here's my thread (And pics :)) http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=402162&highlight=transitioning+twist+out

Glad to have found you ladies!

Nice pictures! I really like your hair color too:grin: I've never really tried twist outs before, I may give it a try sometime. How are you handling the different textures of your hair? Do you wear protective styles?

I have been reading this board and this thread for months(finally paid yesterday). So I decided to texlax and I told my stylist when I made the appt. I would never have noticed the injustices to my hair before but let me tell you what happened.
First she took a small comb and parted/ ripped my hair to apply relaxer. I heard my hair breaking. Then she applied relaxer on at least 5 inches of my hair although I only had 1 inch of NG. Then she shampooed and roller set without conditioning. I went home and washed and dc'd.

I have going for a while and never noticed these things but I am educated because of you guys. My dilema is where do I go from here. I can't texlax if she overlaps.My ng is still wavy btw. I am thinking of doing it myself but I am scared my hair will fall out. Should I just tell her or spend the next 2 months reading how to self relax? Any thoughts?

Wow, that doesn't sound good at all. I still consider myself a newbie so I'm not so great at giving advice, but that experience sounds really bad. I would focus on taking care of your hair before thinking about relaxing/texlaxing again. What's the condition of your hair right now? Before this relaxer, when was the last time you got one?
And I wouldn't go back to that stylist either. I'd suggest you find a new stylist or read up on how to self relax.
Hopefully some others will chime in :)

I totally agree with DEUSA80. Tressajalen, you definitely need to find another hair stylist that would pay more attention to your hair and give yourself a deep conditioner atleast once a week by sitting under the dryer with a plastic cap if you have one, if not use a plastic cap and wrap a towel around your head for penetration to help strengthen your hair to reduce any shedding that might happen from the overlapping. Don't forget to add some protein for balance. I hope this helps some..

How are you handling the different textures of your hair? Do you wear protective styles?
Yes, and I'm dc'ing twice a week. Wen, Alter Ego garlic dc, and henna are my stretching staples. I henna twice a month. I use a light protein every time I dc, and a heavy one twice a month (on my non-henna weeks). I'm, maybe, 2" from apl, but my goal is bsl, and then I'm gonna start the mini-chops, so I'm in this for the long haul.

Protective style-wise, I just starting using flexirods, but I notice they always look better the second day, so I'm trynna get my technique and styling right. I'll post pics here when I get it together, though. As for that twist-out, I was really feelin' myself that day :lachen:, but that style was a tricky one. The more I think about it, the more I'm realizing that the texture at the root was the result of a mistake. I was doing a test, letting it air dry without any product or any manipulation, so I didn't comb or brush the roots, hence the texture. When I dry normally, I can get the roots to somewhat match the relaxed part, ie, no interesting texture.

Now, let me ask you: how did you accomplish that protective style in your siggy? cuz you are lookin' mighty silky there, girl! :gorgeous:

@ tressjalen
Paraphrasing, 'you can *** up your hair by yourself'; there is no need to pay for disappointment. Be glad you still have some hair left on your head (cuz mine would have been out), and KIM.

my .02

Girl, been there done that. Shortly after joining this board, I went natural. So, I didn't go to stylists anymore. Once I decided to texlax, I went to one that I had been going to when I was relaxed....GIRL I noticed a whole bunch of stuff too, like NO DC!!! :nono: Needless to say...I will never return to her again.

Anyway, don't be so afraid of taking care of your own hair. You can do it. For now, like the other ladies said, focus on nurishing your hair back to health. Then you can research self texlaxing. If you are REALLY uncomfortable doing it yourself, then don't. There is a forum that reviews and discusses salons in different areas. Find out if there are any salons/stylists in your area that some of the ladies here recommend. It'll be okay. :bighug:Your hair will become healthier and longer than it's ever been. :grin:

Thanks for the advice. I don't think i will be going back to her. I had a hard time finding a styist that owns an watch and cares about my hair. I chose this one cause she is fast. :perplexed

My hair is surprisingly not in bad shape. I guess I have tough hair because I was flat-ironing my hair daily prior to June, no dc's, using oil as a moisturizer, getting bad relaxers, and i thought carols daughter was the bomb. :lachen: I have hair that is slightly passed sl. I have not been longer than SL ever so i think if I pay attention to my hair it may turn out amazing. My hair used to be really thick and now it is average thickness so I hope to regain the thickness and some new length.

I am going to focus on my regimen and learn how to self-relax over the next couple months. I went 8 weeks last time(a record). I hope to be 10-12 weeks next time so I have plenty of time. I will be around for more advice! :grin:

Back