Tell me about silkening!!

afrofaithful

What is this infamous silkening? I've heard of it and I've seen the results which if I may so myself are fabulous! Is it so different from regular straightening? Is it more damaging? I'm just wondering because it looks great and I think that for my yearly reveal I want it!!! :grin: Well if it's ok...and sidenote does anyone know any good salons to get this process done in the DMV area?

Thanks!!

i only heard about the ms. jessies silkening process which is like an expensive baby relaxer. i think you can only get the silkener done at their salon, but you can get a texturizer (which seems to be the same thing more or less) pretty much anywhere.

i only heard about the ms. jessies silkening process which is like an expensive baby relaxer. i think you can only get the silkener done at their salon, but you can get a texturizer (which seems to be the same thing more or less) pretty much anywhere.

not that silkening...there's one that's just like a flat iron process or something. no chemicals...

bumping I've heard of it too. But I'm not sure what it is....I'm trying to find the video on youtube I saw about it.

I've heard of silkening in the Miss Jessie's context (I think just adding olive oil -or oil of some sort to a mild or regular relaxer). I've heard other salons (I forget the name of the one in DC--it's on or around U street). When I inquired it was just flat iron press--nothing special. It's all about marketing--same old salon techniques--different names. If you do a search, I'm sure you can find many threads about silkening.

My hair dresser does it. It's basically a pretty term for marcell ironing. It comes out beeee-u-ti-ful!

Here is a link to what mine looks like when I get it done.

HAIRLISTA INC. Healthy Hair Network

It looks like this every time! You can't be scared of heat though. She's not going to blow your head away with the blowdrier, but she will use direct heat. I'm not bothered by it, but then I only use it once in awhile.

There are two ladies that come to my job who get this done. They are natural but get 'silkened' every two weeks (or something like that). It's a process with a marcel iron; it's heat, not chemicals. :yep:

I had it done while I was transitioning. But my stylist just used a chi and a lot of Argan oil. It came out really really soft and bouncy. It kind've reminded my of a dominican blow-out and she only charged like $35. I agree, it's just a fancier term for a traditional routine, I think in an effort to compete with the popularity of dominican salon treatments.

......This is what is looked like.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 120
There are two ladies that come to my job who get this done. They are natural but get 'silkened' every two weeks (or something like that). It's a process with a marcel iron; it's heat, not chemicals. :yep:

This is what I used during my transition over a decade ago which is why my hair looked the way it did prior to finding LHCF. But man, it always looked nice ans silky!
Teeeeeeemmmmmmmmptaaaaaaaaatiooooooonnnnn.....

My understanding: Old school flatironing (think stove..marcel irons)....No?

My aunts used to do their hair this way...I'd love to hear what ya'll have to say on this :)

I've heard of silkening in the Miss Jessie's context (I think just adding olive oil -or oil of some sort to a mild or regular relaxer). I've heard other salons (I forget the name of the one in DC--it's on or around U street). When I inquired it was just flat iron press--nothing special. It's all about marketing--same old salon techniques--different names. If you do a search, I'm sure you can find many threads about silkening.

Boy, I thought I had a horror story with that salon. But now that you say this, maybe it was all miscommunication. I thought that salon gave me the worst case of heat damage I have ever seen on anyone's head. I later learned that my hair was what they called "silkened" A marcel iron was used. I wanted a regular old press with minumum damage. But...

I too thought silkening was some sort of chemical process from Miss Jessie's (the salon on U street sold and used their products), so I didn't think twice when the stylist began pressing. Figured it was going to be a straight forward press, as I requested. I do remember the stylist grumbling about my tight coil pattern in the back and its strength (yessir, it is) while pressing. She mentioned that the iron would loosen it and make it easier to straighten next time, but I wouldn't incur damage. I thought the loosening and "easier to manage" lingo was typical result after straightening natural hair; I had never dealt with my natural hair, and had no idea. So I trusted her judgment.

And the press was beautiful! Suspiciously, it never reverted, though. I finally washed my hair and cried. It was bone straight on one side, and the curls loosened all over -- some sections significantly.

When I returned to confront her about the curl loosening and damage, she squealed and said that she had never seen that happen before, and I heard another stylist in there refer to my hair as "silkened" while assessing it. But when I inquired about what silkened was, they got closed mouth, because I specifically said I did not want a chemical service. But if it's NOT a chemical service like Miss Jessie's process, then that explains the miscommunication.

The first three pictures are from my "silkened" hair. The last two pics is my healthy, natural curl pattern from 2009. Probably can't tell too much a of a difference in these pics because the heat damage was cornrowed in the front, and the hair out looks likes my natural curl pattern at the top and sides of my head. But believe me, my hair in the back is tight, and the silkener loosened the coils quite a bit.

Attachments

• DSCN0016-vi.jpg
    DSCN0016-vi.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN0108-vi.jpg
    DSCN0108-vi.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN0229-vi.jpg
    DSCN0229-vi.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Snapshot_20090907vi-vi.jpg
    Snapshot_20090907vi-vi.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Snapshot_20090920_4-vi.jpg
    Snapshot_20090920_4-vi.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
:yay: it's nice to see you posting here again Bubblinbrownsuga.

Helixhoney i'm so sorry:nono::nono: you had that terrible experience. I hope your hair recovers more beautiful and stronger than it was before.:yep:

Good old fashioned press and curl with marcel irons. I used to get them a lot. Why do they want to name it something else - especially something most people associate with a chemical. Helixhoney is prime example of the miscommunication that can occur.

:yay: it's nice to see you posting here again Bubblinbrownsuga.

Helixhoney i'm so sorry:nono::nono: you had that terrible experience. I hope your hair recovers more beautiful and stronger than it was before.:yep:

Yea, it was tough. I forgot to mention that I ended up BCing again two months after those pics were taken. The last two pics of my healthy hair were taken approximately a year later. And this year I found out that my hair actually benefits from heat in moderation. Never would of thought that from that silkener experience. We live and we learn :yep:

There was a stylist on another board who did this and told us how to do it. I did it when I was relaxed and headed to my cruise. I would stretch for 3 months and I think I was close to my 3rd month but didn't want to get a relaxer then this is what I did..

I washed with Eluence Clarifying Shampoo, then I used Cream of Nature Moisturizing shampoo ( I really missed this shampoo this is the old version) Then I DC with Eluence my hair instantly felt soft I sat under the dryer for 20 min. I use Aphogee 2 min Recon. For my leave in I used Salon Exclusives leave in conditioner and Gold Moisturizer which is a conditioner but you can use it as a leave in. I sprayed some Aphogee Green Tea and used Mizani Foam and Sallys Generic brand of Paul Mitchell Serum. Sat under the dryer and my hair dried 90%. I blow dried and I used a little bit of my Etae serum on my hair to blow dry. I really like the way my hair looked when I blow dried it. Then I flat iron my hair added a little for Etae Serum and here are the results. My arms got a little tired but I will be trying this again.

I just copied and past this from another site that I am a member of

This was about 1 year and 6 months ago..

Pretty Much Clarify, Moisturizing Shampoo, DC with moisturizing DC then Protein like Aphogee, Leave in should have protein in it but the one that was recommend did not that is why I sprayed the Aphogee green tea on my hair. Serum. That is pretty much it and you are flat ironing your hair in very small sections.. I still used a heat protectant I just didn't feel comfortable without it

The 1st pic was when I used the flat iron and the second pic was when I blow dried my hair..

Attachments

• SilkeningTreatment003.jpg
    SilkeningTreatment003.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 41
  • SilkeningTreatment002.jpg
    SilkeningTreatment002.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 33
Your hair is beautiful. Where do you buy Etae products?

There was a stylist on another board who did this and told us how to do it. I did it when I was relaxed and headed to my cruise. I would stretch for 3 months and I think I was close to my 3rd month but didn't want to get a relaxer then this is what I did..

I washed with Eluence Clarifying Shampoo, then I used Cream of Nature Moisturizing shampoo ( I really missed this shampoo this is the old version) Then I DC with Eluence my hair instantly felt soft I sat under the dryer for 20 min. I use Aphogee 2 min Recon. For my leave in I used Salon Exclusives leave in conditioner and Gold Moisturizer which is a conditioner but you can use it as a leave in. I sprayed some Aphogee Green Tea and used Mizani Foam and Sallys Generic brand of Paul Mitchell Serum. Sat under the dryer and my hair dried 90%. I blow dried and I used a little bit of my Etae serum on my hair to blow dry. I really like the way my hair looked when I blow dried it. Then I flat iron my hair added a little for Etae Serum and here are the results. My arms got a little tired but I will be trying this again.

I just copied and past this from another site that I am a member of

This was about 1 year and 6 months ago..

Pretty Much Clarify, Moisturizing Shampoo, DC with moisturizing DC then Protein like Aphogee, Leave in should have protein in it but the one that was recommend did not that is why I sprayed the Aphogee green tea on my hair. Serum. That is pretty much it and you are flat ironing your hair in very small sections.. I still used a heat protectant I just didn't feel comfortable without it

The 1st pic was when I used the flat iron and the second pic was when I blow dried my hair..

Your hair is beautiful. Where do you buy Etae products?

Thanks

E'Tae Products

I only used the serum.. I had orginally bought her product that was suppose to help to transition without any problems.. Thing is that you flat iron your hair all the time.. I was skeptical of that but the only thing that worked on my hair was the serum. At the time they didn't have all the info for some with a relaxer and I used it like it said but it was so hard for me to detangle my hair now they have videos on how to do it if your hair is relax or natural. It did work for some people just not me.. This is where a lot of people bought the caramel treatment also it was suppose to help straighten the hair better without chemicals

Back