Tea rinses? Don't make me search for info. Somebody please school a sista.

Are you using tea rinses?

• No. Tried it, but not doing them anymore.

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • No. Never tried/heard of it.

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Yes! I'm regularly using tea rinses at least weekly.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Yes. But only once in awhile. No more than once a month.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • What in the world are you talking about?

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I've been searching threads for so much. Still am. And these threads get looooooong. Please. Can someone share the 411 on tea rinses. How to? Why? And what kind? Thanks! I greatly appreciate the help, ladies. :kiss:

Tea rinses are usually rinsed out. When I do the double tea rinse I don't rinse the second tea. I apply cond. right over it.

Tea rinsing definitely stops shedding. I am a witness. I need to go to dollar tree and buy some cheap tea for my hair. I stopped doing them after I moved but I'll get back on it! Check my album for some tea results.

I am not an expert but I occasionally incorporate Ayurveda tea rinses for my scalp and I like them. I just add 1 teaspoon each of amla, brahmi, shikakai and neem to about 500ml of boiled water and boil up for a further 20 minutes. I then allow this to cool and then strain through organic coffee filters (not bleached) and then use to rinse my scalp allow to sit for about 5 minutes and then completely rinse out. Also if you make up a mixture this way, be sure to use it up within a day or two.

HTH's

I just did my frist ever tea rinse with the afroveda hebal cleansing tea and I dont think im in love. my hair still felt oily afterwards so i think ima just do them while mt har is in sew ins

Thank you OP!

I've used nettle, horsetail, and burdock root tea rinses occassionally but I've wanted to improve my technique. I have a lot of Ayurvedic powders that I've been using but teas sound like an easier and less messy way!

Ladies who make large quantities, what containers do you use to put the tea in? I currently use a 1.5L pitcher but that hardly seems enough.

Hi Op, I've been in your shoes...I read ALOT of threads and studied probably a good 2 months before I took the plunge, and I have NOT looked back. Here was the thread that helped the most:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=167723

Here are a few other threads that helped as well:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=194049
(while I never accessed the download she had available the info is still GREAT!!)

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=172511

I also went to what I considered really good resources based on their posts in the Ayurvedic Support thread: Aggie and FlowingLocks

My Ayurvedic Reggie is as follows:

Prepoo w/ Ayurvedic Oil mixture of:
Amla Oil
Bhringeraj Oil
Brahmi Oil
Vatika Coconut Oil
Shikakai Oil
100%AVJ

I have a pre mix of in a container. I put two tablespoons of this mixture into the foot of a pair of cut stockings and proceed to steep. The mix consists of:

Amla powder (1 tblsp) can be acidic- promotes growth, controls hair loss and graying
Maka powder (2 tblsp) conditioning powder- makes hair dense, promotes growth, cures Alopecia
Brahmi powder (2tblsp) conditioning powder- helps to darken, and make hair more dense, strengthens hair root and stops premature graying

I rinse using Suave Humectant or VO5, cowash using AM, then DC using KC Humecto (recently started mixing JBCO with this and I'm in love:lick:)

Good Luck Op, but please do your research, it's worth it in the end.

ETA: Sorry, I forgot you also questioned why.....I'm guessing that was a why use whatever powders you are using, if so I've added what each of my powders is known for.

Last edited:
Thank you OP!

I've used nettle, horsetail, and burdock root tea rinses occassionally but I've wanted to improve my technique. I have a lot of Ayurvedic powders that I've been using but teas sound like an easier and less messy way!

Ladies who make large quantities, what containers do you use to put the tea in? I currently use a 1.5L pitcher but that hardly seems enough.

I use a gallon container (empty distilled water), add a few caps of rosemary extract as a preservative and store in the fridge. Do you leave your herbs in the pitcher, or strain first? I don't strain until I need to use it.

So I tried putting my mix of Ayurvedic powders (alma, brahmi, Maka) into the toe-part of a cut pair of tights, knotted, then dropped into a pitcher of boiled water....

But all powder seeped out and left the sediment on bottom of the pitcher!

I still used the tea rinse but could not use all of it in case the sediment got in my hair.

What did I do wrong?

So I tried putting my mix of Ayurvedic powders (alma, brahmi, Maka) into the toe-part of a cut pair of tights, knotted, then dropped into a pitcher of boiled water....

I still used the tea rinse but could not use all of it in case the sediment got in my hair.

What did I do wrong?

Just use a coffee Filter Catgurl.

Quicker, cheaper and easier.

Boil up some water and a teaspoon of each powder in a metal pot.

Allow sediment to sink to bottom and strain through a coffee filter.

Allow to cool a little and voila you have a ready to go tea rinse.

Btw you want to get 'unbleached' coffee filters.

What did I do wrong?

I'm not sure what went wrong, this is how I "brew" my powders. I normally use a small black rubber band to secure, but if I dont have one, I simply tie it off. But I never have issues with the powder seeping out. I even squeeze out the stocking before discarding the used powder that is clumped inside to make sure I get all the goodness. But I still don't have any issues with the powder leaking out.

Thanks Positively. I'm going to try coffee filters next time.

The tights I used were sheer...maybe that was the problem.....

I have so many powders to use up! I need to get this technique right!

I just started using them so I can't really school you but when I did it my hair felt great. Like it felt stronger....idk how to explain. For wash I tried the shikakai, amla and tulsi. For a conditioning rinse I used fenugreek, alma, and brahmi

I am not an expert but I occasionally incorporate Ayurveda tea rinses for my scalp and I like them. I just add 1 teaspoon each of amla, brahmi, shikakai and neem to about 500ml of boiled water and boil up for a further 20 minutes. I then allow this to cool and then strain through organic coffee filters (not bleached) and then use to rinse my scalp allow to sit for about 5 minutes and then completely rinse out. Also if you make up a mixture this way, be sure to use it up within a day or two.

HTH's

i do this too, i also add amla powder to my DC's

I just brew green tea like you get from the store and I pour the tea (after it cools) onto my head and get it all in my hair real good then I put on a shower cap and chill for about 20 minutes. I've done the same under the dryer. It will feel just like a protein treatment if you go under the dryer.

One of my co-workers gave me this recipe for a herbal hair rinse she has been using. I did a search here on LHCF and its very similar to a herbal rinse ladies were useing a while back. anyone still using?

its made with burdock root, marshmallow, nettle, rosemary and horsetail

2 tbs of herb to 1 cup of water, by that I mean since I used 5 herbs I used 5 cups of wter.

simmer the burdock root alone for 20 mins then add the others and simmer for another 20 mins, then pour everything into a glass pitcher and let the herbs steep overnight.

i used this as a final rinse, making sure to pour on my scalp (i used a bottle with a nozzle) and let it run down the length of my hair

Im also made a daily spritz with the mixture

1 part herbal infusion 1 part aloevera juice, 0.5 part honeyquat (or glycerine if ur hair likes it) I also added a splash of rose water and 5 drops of silk amino acids.

my hair is very light and spongy now

Back