Tales of misuse: The bottle says drink it, but they put it IN their hair.

Queenmickie

Always thinking about my next hairstyle.
My first thread!:yay::dance7:
My brother's girlfriend's mother told me she applies silica gel to her hair instead of drinking it as per the directions on the bottle:lachen:. I called her crazy to her face and went home to laugh about her with my mom:lachen:. Today my mom told me she is massaging silica gel into her scalp to see if anything happens...:look: This got me thinking about using products in unconventional ways. What products are ladies using in unconventional ways?
Have you seen progress using/misusing the product in this innovative way?
I'll go first with my favorite: Black tea. I don't drink it I rinse my hair with it!:woot:

Last edited:
Hemp oil
I hate the way it smells but I want the benefit so I deal

Eggs
Won't eat them but they're nice for my hair

Coconut oil
Been using it for a year and still don't know what it tastes like

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

if you already use products unconventionally why are you calling other people crazy and laughing at them?

Because I'm a newbie and I'm learning. I know I put odd things in my hair. Truth be told I laughed with her not at her. She laughed when I said I drink it!

Last edited:
My girlfriend uses silica in her hair and swears by it for regrowing hair in thin areas.

I have or am using yogurt, honey, tea, ACV, AVG and I'm sure there are more.

In addition to most of what is listed above, I've used avocado, mayonnaise, molasses, plus grapeseed, walnut, sesame & olive oils in my hair.

This is LHCF. You'd be surprise at the things they use for hair in here. From horse products to coochie cream to chicken grease... The list goes on...

In total agreement! This is THE place to learn how to use things unconventionally for hair.
She is new; she'll see. Hi OP! Welcome. :bighug:

My mom uses beer in her hair as a stlying aid.

But to add to the list coconut milk, baking soda, salt, bananas. Haven't used these but have seen them as ingredients on yt and on this forum.

I know there are more but just haven't thought of them yet.

I've used molasses, black tea, olive oil, grape seed oil, coconut oil, coconut cream, egg, honey, aloe, coconut milk, rosemary, nettle, horsetail, catnip herbs.

AVJ is the perfect example of a dietary supplement that we just LOVE hair (Freudian slip!) at LHCF! Even before joining LHCF I was aware of food products that benefit my hair. Mayo is probably the 1st one most folks hear about.

Any product that does double duty for my hair/skin/beauty needs AND I can eat it is tops in my book.
Coconut oil works well for sauteeing my veggies and doesn't leave a fishy odour when I fry fish with it...the health benefits are AMAZING!

Last edited:
Technically speaking it's not misuse. Commercial hair products contain all the "weird" ingredients listed in this thread. :)

Coco, ACV, black tea, herbs, aloe juice, olive oil, what else? I'm sure there's more but thats all i can think of right now.

Maybe it's working for the other person.:nono: How could you call someone crazy if you don't know how it helps them?:ohwell:

Man, quite a bit. Actually for me it has been more the reverse - I've began incorporating stuff into my DIET because of using it for my HAIR. I wouldn't be using coconut, avocado or hemp oil to COOK with if I wasn't introduced to it for my HHJ. In addition to the oils, I have just began putting a couple tbsp of AVJ in my smoothies. But I like the fact that these items pull double duty!

Banana whip or fresh raw banana sorbet (as a base for conditioner)

Rice water hair rinse

Pumpkin seed butter....mmmmmm, yummy!

Back