Survey: How do you moisturize your hair?

*Muffin*

1. Do you consider your hair to be on the thick side, the thin side, or pretty normal in thickness?

2. How little or often do you wash your hair?

3. Do you feel that this schedule helps you retain moisture better?

4. What products do you use to moisturize?

5. Are these products ones you loyally use or do you switch it up a lot?

6. Do the products that you use vary depending on what you do to your hair (heatstyling, protective styles, etc...)?

7. How often do you moisturize?

8. When you moisturize do you use a little product or a generous amount?

9. Does your hair prefer lightweight moisturizers or heavy moisturizers?

10. And finally, do the moisturizers change depending on what season it is?

Thank you very much :yep:.

1. Do you consider your hair to be on the thick side, the thin side, or pretty normal in thickness? Well i guess ii's pretty normal in thickness (i really wish it was thicker though).

2. How little or often do you wash your hair? Once a week.

3. Do you feel that this schedule helps you retain moisture better? Very well.

4. What products do you use to moisturize? Varies moisturizing conditioners, leave ins-NTM leave in, daily moisturizer-ORS olive oil in a jar.

5. Are these products ones you loyally use or do you switch it up a lot? I switch up ALOT only on shampoos and conditioners.

6. Do the products that you use vary depending on what you do to your hair (heatstyling, protective styles, etc...)? Not really. I pretty much do one or the other, rollerset or ponytail airdry.

7. How often do you moisturize? Nightly and the following morning i may add a dab to the edges and/or ends.

8. When you moisturize do you use a little product or a generous amount?Overall a generous amount, i work in sections.

9. Does your hair prefer lightweight moisturizers or heavy moisturizers? For my protective styles (i wear 90% of the time) i prefer heavy moisturizers.

10. And finally, do the moisturizers change depending on what season it is? Not really, but this past summer i did try Silken Childs Moisturizer for my braidouts and i loved it. So perhaps not the season but the style?

1. Do you consider your hair to be on the thick side, the thin side, or pretty normal in thickness? I'd say normal to thick. It's normal in some parts and thicker in others.

2. How little or often do you wash your hair? Right now I'm washing my hair on a weekly schedule, but I'm thinking about washing 2 days a week.

3. Do you feel that this schedule helps you retain moisture better? By the end of the week my hair feels really weighed down. That's why I'm thinking about washing more frequently.
4. What products do you use to moisturize? I use bit of hugo naturals conditioner for my hair, shea butter for my ends, then I seal with jojoba oil and/or coconut oil.

5. Are these products ones you loyally use or do you switch it up a lot? I tend to switch it up a lot, but I always stay with with natural products.
6. Do the products that you use vary depending on what you do to your hair (heatstyling, protective styles, etc...)? No.

7. How often do you moisturize? Every day.

8. When you moisturize do you use a little product or a generous amount? I think I'm a bit heavy heanded with product.
9. Does your hair prefer lightweight moisturizers or heavy moisturizers? It depends. When my hair is freshly washed it tends to like a lot of product, but if not then just my ends like to be heavily moisturized.
10. And finally, do the moisturizers change depending on what season it is? No, I just tend to use more of the ones I already have when it gets colder.

Last edited:
1. Do you consider your hair to be on the thick side, the thin side, or pretty normal in thickness?
It's pretty thick

Now I wash 1x every two weeks

Well I spritz my hair with a water, oil and moisturiser mixture every day so...

S-Curl, Soft-n-free

I use them all the time

6. Do the products that you use vary depending on what you do to your hair (heatstyling, protective styles, etc...)?
No

Every day, especially at night

A little, but if it feels dry I'll use a bit more

Heavy moisturisers

No but the amount of moisturiser I use will.

1. Do you consider your hair to be on the thick side, the thin side, or pretty normal in thickness?--Normal to thick, I guess

2. How little or often do you wash your hair?-- I shampoo and dc 2 to 3 times a week

3. Do you feel that this schedule helps you retain moisture better?--Yep!

4. What products do you use to moisturize?--After a wash, I'll use a leave in. NTM Silk Touch to airdry or Salerm 21 b5 to rollerset. Daily, I use Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 Miracle Worker!!!! :woot:

5. Are these products ones you loyally use or do you switch it up a lot?-- I don't know if I'll go back to the leave ins, but HS 14in1 is a permanent staple :D

6. Do the products that you use vary depending on what you do to your hair (heatstyling, protective styles, etc...)?--If I flatiron or rollerset, I use Salerm. To airdry in a bun, i'll use NTM. When I run out of NTM, I'll probably just use HS as a leave in :yep:

7. How often do you moisturize?--Err day

8. When you moisturize do you use a little product or a generous amount?--I soak my hair in it. Especially my ends and nape. I keep my hair wet and in a bun :)

9. Does your hair prefer lightweight moisturizers or heavy moisturizers?--Heavy! But when I rollerset or flatiron, I have to use the lightweight stuff. My hair usually gets dried out after two days of using the lightweight moisturizers :ohwell:

10. And finally, do the moisturizers change depending on what season it is?--Nope, it's pretty much HS 24/7, 365 :grin:

Thin, in terms of density and fine strands.

Once a week. I would like to do it twice a week, but I do not have the time.

Yes.

ORS Carrot Oil and 100% Pure Organic Shea Butter.

I rarely use anything else.

Yes, on the rare occasions that I use heat, I use Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide as well as my moisturisers.

Once to twice a day.

A generous amount.

Heavy moisturisers.

No.

On the thick side

wash once a week, co-wash once or twice a week

Yes

water, Glycerin, aloe vera juice, soft and beautiful moistuizer, NTM leave in, shea butter, QP mango butter, grapeseed oil, EVOO

I switch it up, still looking for my staple moisturizer

yes, when I flat iron my hair, use very little product, avoid any thing heavy

at least every other day, sometimes everyday

A little amount. I use a lot more on the ends though

Light weight is better for styling, but if my hair is really thirsty will go for the heavier stuff especially on the ends

Use a lot more water in the summer, also tend to use the lighter stuff in the summer, and the heavier stuff in the winter

You're welcome, :drunk:

Last edited:
Normal side

I wash every 2 weeks, in between I co wash.

Yeah, I believe so
Palmers Hair Milk, ORS Olive Oil Creme, Paul Mitchel the Original Leave in Conditioner, Sheabutter by Komaza.
I rotate in between these products, The hair milk is a new addition and I like it alot.
Yeah, if Im bunning, I put PM on the ends, to stay hydrated. Sheabutter if im about to blow dry.
Everyday.
I use enough to make it wet. If my hair is wrap I don't use to much, cause I don't want it to be flat. But this is not often, cause im usually bun up.
Lightweight
Yes.

This is a good survey.

1. Do you consider your hair to be on the thick side, the thin side, or pretty normal in thickness? I think it's normal towards thick. I'm trying to get it thicker.

2. How little or often do you wash your hair? DCowash twice a week.

3. Do you feel that this schedule helps you retain moisture better? Definitely.

4. What products do you use to moisturize? Ahh - I use mostly homemade 'combo' mixes of various things. Some ingredients that I use consistently are: Elasta QP Intense Fortifying Conditioner, Eqyss Premier Cream Rinse (I need to restock on this), Honey, Honeyquat, SAA, The Caramel Treatment, and an assortment of cheapie cons to stretch my mixes. I never use the cheapies straight. In fact, the only things that I will use straight are the Elasta and the Caramel Treatment. Lately, I've been loving on the Trader Joes conditioners, too. I want to try the Aubreys Organics stuff too, as soon as I can get to Wild Foods and buy some. :lick:

I'm very loyal to them, largely because I'm super picky about ingredients - I don't use cones, and I don't use any petroleum products, so that limits my options, a lot. I change proportions and add various herbs, etc, all the time, so it feels like I'm always doing something a little different.

6. Do the products that you use vary depending on what you do to your hair (heatstyling, protective styles, etc...)? Not really, since I don't use heat, and I'm always protective styling. :lol:

7. How often do you moisturize? I DC twice a week. Once a week I use a leave-in and sealer after my DC, and the second time, I just seal after DC'ing.

:lachen: I use a lot of product. My DC's are usually 10-12 ounces of conditioner - and I use every bit of it. I'd say I use about 3 oz of leave-in at a time, too.

9. Does your hair prefer lightweight moisturizers or heavy moisturizers? Heavy - thick, rich, moist and heavy.

10. And finally, do the moisturizers change depending on what season it is? Since my leave-in's/DC's are all mixes, and eyeballed mixes at that, I'll have to say that I'm not sure. I might add more humectants in the summertime, and more protein in the winter - but I'm not totally sure, since I'm not measuring anything. It's very organic how I switch up, but I'm pretty certain that I do, at least a little.

This was a GREAT survey - very interesting seeing the variety of answers!

Back