Super Grow Out Challenge begins 1/1/05

My ends haven't been trimmed since 10 weeks ago. This is kind of scaring me though. I only let the ends be because my hair is always in an up-do or bun or something. Not sure how much difference it's going to make.... I only decided to forgo the trims because i've heard that if you don't comb, brush, or have no contact styles (any style that doesn't require much daily maintenance) you can get away with trimming. I wonder if i am doing the right thing by skipping my trim... any suggestions? I gladly appreciate your two cent$. :D

I'd like to join. :) I don't have a digital camera but my hair is currently 2 inches below my shoulders. I wash and condition my hair twice a week (deep condition once a week) and air-dry my hair using the ponytail method.

Don'tSpeakDefeat, I am so happy you are doing this.

These are my stats:
Crown: 9-10 inches
Sides and top of back: 6-7 inches
Bottom 3 inches (kitchen area): Badly broken/not much to measure (yet!)
(Broke off when hair finally rebelled from being relaxed every 4 weeks)

My hair is relaxed with motions oil moisturizer regular

Hairtype: I think the sides are 4A, kitchen area 4b and I'm not sure about the crown--it is very thick and wavy (not curly)

My regimen will be:
Wash and condition weekly with a possible conditioner wash in between. I will focus on moisturizing shampoos and conditioners. Once a month may use a protein shampoo and conditioner if my hair can tolerate it.

Will try to go as long as possible without relaxing again--my hair needs a break.

No heat, only air dry and no curling irons. Will use a heat cap for deep conditioners.

Oil and moisturize damaged area 2 to 3 times daily. Surge broken area morning and evening. Protective styling, primarily a bun. Will try to keep hair covered in silky scarves whenever I'm home.

I didn't join before either, but I'm always down to grow! I'm claiming brastrap by the end of the summer, so 9/1/05. It's about 4" away, but I'd love to compare this starting to length to my ending lenght on 12/31/05.

I'm sticking w/all of my standards...
PhytoRelaxer
Nexxus Poo/Cond/Protein
Salerm WheatGerm Mask
Nacidit Avocado
Lacio Lacio
Castor & Avocado Oil
Vits

My direct heat use will be limited to trimming time and other very special occassions. I will try to limit rollersetting w/the bonnet to 4-6 wks. (noticed more splits when I increased frequency).

I relax with motions oil moisturizer regular

Hairtype: 4a or 4b im not really sure
My regimen
Wash with moisturising shampoos and conditioners every three days or weekly. ACV rinse once in 2 weeks, deep condition after every ACV rinse, Hot oil treatment when my hair needs it, Surge, No heat, Protein treatment before every relaxer. Relax every 3 months or more. Depends on how far i can go. Try to oil ends and wrap with plastic wrap when im home. Just bought a satin pillowcase so i dont forget to wear satin cap. Take vitamins regularly. Moisturise after wash with ORS olive oil, little or no manipulation. NO TRIMMING. i guess thats it for now.

Attachments

• 09-vi.jpg
    09-vi.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 10
I'm on Curly Girl so I'll just CO wash everyday and clarify as needed. I won't use heat and I'll finger comb if/when my hair gets too long for that to be practical. I may get cornrows if/when I get tired of dealing with my hair. Because of the lack of heat and not using the comb I don't think I'll need any trims.

Starting length as of 01/05/05: 18.5"
Last trim: 01/05/05
Amount trimmed: 1.5"-2", blunt cut
Last touch-up: 12/19/04
Supplements as of 01/03/05: Hairtopia and Hairtopia Herbal Booster

More pictures are in my album, and my regimen is in my journal.

Attachments

• DSCF0016.jpg
    DSCF0016.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0015.jpg
    DSCF0015.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0012.jpg
    DSCF0012.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Y'all have got me so excited!

We have short, medium and longhaired ladies growing it to the next level!!

Yay!!

Boadicea, you need to put up your latest pic. Your hair is absolutely amazing in that picture.

I will add you all to the list!! :clap:

My regimen:
Conditioner wash 1-2 times weekly.
Surge & castor oil hairline.
Hollywood Beauty's carrot creme & olive oil to moisturize hair.
GNC Women's Multiple Formula.

15yd8o
15yddl

Last edited:
Workin on the pictures but...

Type: 2b/3a Transitioning
Last Touch-up: October 4, 2004
Length: Front: Bangs at eyebrows
Side: Hair to ear lobe
Back: Hair at base of neck
Routine: No heat
Baggie/Bun Challenge
Surge 2x day
Condition Wash 2-3 times week
S-Curl
Various Spanish conditioners
Biotin, Primrose Oil, MSM, Silica, Shen-Min, FlaxSeed Oil
Hodge podge of other products spurred by PJism :rofl:

dontspeakdefeat said:
Y'all have got me so excited!
Boadicea, you need to put up your latest pic. Your hair is absolutely amazing in that picture.
Unfortunately, those are the most recent pictures of my hair.

I did a BIG trim and then (most current one) a small one last week to get rid of layers that wouldn't go away. A stylist used a razor-cut technique to cut them into my hair like 6 years ago and they were still there. Now I'm down to my natural layers and it doesn't look so choppy.

Boadicea said:
Unfortunately, those are the most recent pictures of my hair.

I did a BIG trim and then (most current one) a small one last week to get rid of layers that wouldn't go away. A stylist used a razor-cut technique to cut them into my hair like 6 years ago and they were still there. Now I'm down to my natural layers and it doesn't look so choppy.
I took a look in your album! A girl has got to do what a girl has got to do!! Your hair looks great still.

You have always been one of mt hair inspirations and so you will remain!!

I'm in DSD! I have about 2" or less to waist length which I hope to get there by May then I'll start maintaining it there and evening out my V shape a bit more. I'm washing every 7 days and I'm surging again...just my scalp.
I apply unbraid spray and WGO every other day and I'm baggying. My motto this year is keep it VERY SIMPLE. Oh, I'm also back to washing in sections (4-6 braids)

Last edited:
I never posted my new years regimine:

Pretreat (30-60 mins):
EVOO on dry hair
Warmed conditioner (any cheap kind) and evoo

Nexxus Therappe
Nexxus Keraphix/Humectress
Nexxus Headress/Coconut Oil
Motions Foaming Wrap Lotion for rollerset

The goal is to perfect rollersetting, but if I don't feel like doing it, I will airdry in a pony/bun/braidout.

Start: Bra Strap
I don't have a length goal this year! HHG to all!

I'll be joining this challenge.

Monister’s Hair Program [January 1 – December 31 2005]

Products
1. Nexxus Therappe
2. Nexxus Humectress / Alberto VO5 Nourishing Oasis Conditioner with Citrus and Vitamin C
3. Nexxus Keraphix
4. Nexxus Ensure
5. Nexxus Vitatress Conditioning Volumizer
6. Nexxus Vitatress Biotin Crème
7. Nexxus Vitatress Biotin Shampoo
8. Jane Carter’s Nourish & Shine

Program
 Shampoo once a week – Biotin shampoo then Therappe
 Conditioner wash daily
 Protopak every two weeks – {Humectress/Keraphix} then Ensure
 Scalp massage with Biotin Crème once a week
 Daily maintenance
a. Spray conditioning volumizer
b. Moisturize with Nourish & Shine

Goals
 Healthy soft hair
 Shoulder-length curly hair / six inches in twelve months

Monitoring
 Pictures at end of each month

Vitamins
 Olay Complete Woman’s Multivitamin
 Olay Evening Primrose Nourishing Complex
 Biotin
 l-Cysteine
 MSM

I always airdry... I don't remember the last time I used a blow dryer...

Monister

Last edited:
I would like to join this challenge, my hair is in braids but I'd still like to be a part of this one. I don't know what my current length is but when my braids come out I'll start from there.

Hey! What about me!?

Current length: 5 inches in back and front, 3 inches on the temples(sides)
Current protective style: back is french rolled, sides and front are upswept.
Current products:
Olive oil, sweet almond oil
Shampoo: Herbal Essence Triple Moisture, Paul Mitchell Moisture Rich (i think thats the name, I'm poor right now)
Conditioner: Garnier Fructis (for conditioner washes) Dove intense Moisture (for a "leave in" and the great smell!)

Regimen: Shampoo and detangle with Garnier Fructis. Add olive oil to product free damp hair. Add very small amout of dove conditioner to head and extra amount to the ends. Blow dry and flat iron straight. At night always wrapped up with satin scarf and oiled ends. After one week (of protective styling, no heat) wash and let hair stay "natural" for 1-2 days then start over again with washing.
Trims every 6 weeks.
Goal: 8 inches by April; 10 inches by August.

I'm in the challenge and wanted to start out the new year with a fresh start so here's my current length (.2 inches side/back and 1 inch on top):
010305hairsideb1dt.jpg

I plan to keep it simple, less products, less styling, no trims and NO Braids
Co-Wash once or twice a week, shampoo and deep condition once a month, wear my hair out in a twa, afro, twist, braids or twist out and braid out. I'll update bi monthly..Happy growing everyone!

I would love to join

I have started my regime 2 months ago, I am currently collar bone length.

I know you have all heard this question so many times before, but I would really appreciate some support. I am new to this forum and although I have soaked you all your great hair care ideas ( THANK YOU ). I would really need a Hair Pal.

Are they many ladies from England, Speak Up !!!

Happy New Year everybody!

I just got the curly girl book yesterday so I'll get to reading soon.
My starting length will be collar bone length in the back and ear length in the front. I'm working on getting a digicam before the end of the month so hopefully I can start an album.

Products:
Nioxin shampoo and conditioner
Fantasia IC gel
Lustrasilk aloe vera deep con.

Ok, I have been on a PJ binge lately :crazy: , so for the new year, no new products. My one big shelf is packed with crap so I'm gonna go through ALL of it and decide what to stick with when I'm done (I'm taking notes)

Regime:
Condition wash every other 2-3 days followed by baking soda or ACV rinse
Nioxin wash and deep condition every 2-3 weeks
Moisturize daily
Shea butter on ends

Styles:
Protective:either twists or buns

Happy hair growing everybody! :grin:

Where did you get that shirt with the measurments? :eek:

dontspeakdefeat said:
I will start off by posting my beginning pic here.

Super Grow Oout Challenge 2005 beginning pic:
hair382-vi.jpg

Main products:

Mane 'n tail shampoo and conditioner
Nexxus Keraphix
NTM silk touch leave in

Challenges:

Baggie challenge
Bun challenge and this one

I will be trying out rollersets this year so I can have smoother buns. I will wash at least twice a week.

Okay, I'm chiming in.

I'm about 1 inch past shoulder length in the back. Grazing collarbone on sides.(I'll post pic before the end of the month...hopefully...:( )

Meanwhile, I'll stay as consistent as possible and only move when my hair indicates me to move.

Watch for growth rate using Surge.

Stick with the few products in my regimen concerning basic washing.

Stay encouraged and, by the grace of God, not give up!!!

HHG-

~op~

Last edited:
Back