***Summer 2011 No Heat Challenge***

here's my starting pic for this challenge, taken april 28th:
033-vi.jpg

my ends aren't as even as i like them, but i'll hold off on trimming until the challenge ends.
i think this'll be excellent for my hair. I need to cut down on manipulation and just leave it the heck alone. this SL-APL stage is just awful. I kinda don't wanna see my hair until APL....

Hey ladies! I've been eyeing this challenge. But wasn't sure if I could qualify to join. It lines up pretty good with my own personal 5 month no heat/hide hair challenge I have going on.

I wear half wigs. And my usual style is a kinky straight textured half wig and I blow out my leave out hair on cool setting. BUT, I also flat iron both the kinky straight weave and my leave out hair about once a month or every other month. Its a very small amt of hair and the rest of my hair won't see a drop of heat for the summer, sooo, pretty please can I be down???

Last flat iron-April 30, 2011
I don't plan on straightening again until around Sept. 30, 2011. I'm hoping to be very close to APL by that time. I'm very nervous/excited bc the length I'm at now (SL) is usually the end of the line for me and where my hair has started to go downhill in the past.

My April 30 pic is in my siggy.

Last edited:
Still keeping the heat to a minimum. Decided to put mini braids in my hair for 3 weeks. Hopefully I will be able to keep them in longer.

Soooooo I already used one of my passes :look: because I had the bright idea to blow dry my hair in order to make it easier to cornrow which it did not do! Won't use my other pass because of it and probably do a trim when these cornrows come out.

Did a braidout with 4 cornrows. Before this challenge, my last heat experience was in late March. Actually not missing it like I thought I would!

Ugh. I did a roller set that didn't work out too well with my texlaxed hair. I feel like I might have had a little setback. I lost more hair than I normally do when I just straighten with a flat iron. This no direct heat thing might be tougher than I thought. I still have about 2 inches of texlaxed ends hanging on too.

So far so good. I'm currently bunning during the week (co-washing every 2 days) and then letting my hair out on the weekends--either braidout, twistout, or rollerset.

Sorry I've been traveling alot so couldn't post a pic but my starting pic is in my siggy. I took it about two weeks ago I believe. But I def need this challenge to keep me focused on working out. I had started flat ironing once a month but whenever my hair is straight, I won't workout for the entire week lol so this challenge will keep me in focused on more important things: health and fitness!

Today I wore a bun....will probably wear one for the rest of the week. I really need to wash. It's been two weeks. But I'm soooo tired of dealing with my hair. Buns are just so much easier. Maybe I needs locs lol no hours spent detangling!

Last edited:
I totally forgot to put up a starting pic! I'll get one up after I wash tomorrow.

I'd been bunning pretty exclusively since last Thanksgiving. I'm under a phony puff right now for baggying purposes. I'm thinking I might rollerset next weekend, or maybe Memorial Day weekend, because I'm going to do it for my pass for a wedding in July, and it's been a while since I rollerset my natural hair.

Good thing I came back to the forum bcuz I was tempted to flat iron my hair....now I will just do some twists or something...

I did get growth last summer from this challenge and I hope to gain "healthy" growth this time around. I wish i could post a starting picture but um...the hyh challenge is soon done so i will take the pic now and post the pic when it's over, if that's okay =)

Sorry I've been gone for so long everybody. I'm just getting out of the hospital and still trying to recover. It looks like most people starting off great with the no heat! And even if your not, that is what this thread is here for. For support! So dont give up!

Miryoku, I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better!

so here's my full plan for this challenge:
i will be doing primarily wet buns during the week and braidouts/twistouts on weekends, for about a month.
dc twice a week, style on wednesdays, cowash/wet bun every other day.
after that month, I'll be using a heat pass to flatiron and get a good trim.
then i'll be using another heat pass to clarify and blowdry, and twisting up my hair in senegalese twists for summer camp.
ok, whew. i just like to write things down to make them real, ya know, lol.

My plan is still in action. I plan to enjoy my newly natural hair. I plan to do twist out an twists till.......
So far, in still in!

Sent from my PG06100 using PG06100

I noticed more breakage than usual so I decided to go ahead and relax @ 10weeks post - so I've used a heat pass :drunk:

I didn't gain any length but gained volume and body instead. :yep: the next time i plan to use heat is the next relaxer @ 15weeks Sep end of the challenge...I dont know :look:

Since I'm rocking a curly install for the summer I wi jump on the no heat bandwagon...just doing conditioner rinsed every other week. K.I.S. for real for the next 4 months.
Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

I started to use a pass to flat iron and do a length check two days ago. Stopped half way through,and said hell no.:lol:. I was hot and irritated in that bathroom.:nono:. I'm getting braids tomorrow or Monday. Been wearing a high bun soaked in conditioner and sealed with oil since yesterday,and I will keep it in until I get braids.

I did a set of mini twists on my hair last night. Hoping they will last 3 weeks. Shoot, they better. Took me 5.5 hours to complete. I am still tired at this very moment from staying up so late...:ohwell:

YAY I almost forgot about the two passes we have. I was daydreaming about blowdrying so I can trim later this summer. Now I won't have to feel guilty!

Okay I am seriously bad about pics, but I'll get one up. Still doing no-heat. I wore my phony puff for the past two weeks, but I'm supposed to see a friend I haven't seen since college graduation 10 years ago, so I'll just wear a bun today.

Sent from my DROID2 using DROID2

whoa nelly.
so how bout i set my hair for a braid n curl last night, at around 1 am....and they're still not completely dry?? :nono:
so much for completely airdrying...I HAVE to sit under the dryer for at least a half hour or something.

I realised I'm in this challenge but never posted my starting pic, I'm hoping to be a lil past APL by the time this challenge is over. This is the last time I straightened in March:

grazingapl.jpg
Butler-20110318-00186.jpg

I'm gonna experiment with banding this summer to try dry twistouts :yep:

Last edited:
I just put some mini twists in my hair last night (with the help of a friend) and it took me 3.5 hours. longest 3.5 hours of my life. I was inspired to do it because of all the posts I've seen lately. I LOVE how they turned out. Will take some pix later.

Rocked a twist out for 3 days (2 of those days were puff days) and wearing a wash n go today. I may hide my hair under a full sew in soon.

Soon as I started this challenge I hid my blow dryer. Now I can't find it... I guess I'll be buying a new one when this challenge is over... :ohwell: The teenager in my house is hating me...lol

Still going strong on my no heat. I haven't used a pass yet! I probably won't until maybe July when I do a length check...although I will try to hold out until September.

Good luck ladies!

HHG...

Back