***Summer 2011 No Heat Challenge***

I'm joining this challenge. I've been flat ironing once a month the past few months, but I'm really aiming for WL this year, so I plan to just try to hide my hair for the most part by bunning, and of course I'll be wearing braidouts as well. 2 passes is more than enough, and I plan to use them after I have my baby, so I'll be good for a while.

I've attached a pic of the last time that I flat ironed a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• Picture 100tiny.jpg
    Picture 100tiny.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 61
Count me in!! This will be quite a challenge for me with hitting the gym lately. But I am all for no heat, I'm not exactly sure how I am going to do it yet so I am open to suggestions... I will post starting pics by the May 1st

I'm in!
I'll be a camp counselor for most of the summer anyways, so I plan to do Senegalese twists.
May 1st huh? I guess that gives me an excuse to flat-iron and take some length shots tonight.....:look:

ETA: just noticed that we can use overhead dryers. wonderful, because i have to use it at least 50% of the way. air-drying alone takes forever. :nono:

Last edited:
I haven't worn flatironed hair since about August of last year. I'll just continue to rock wngs. But I'm also plan to experiement with some stretched styles for a wedding in August. My hair will be blown out my hair for my starting pic. My goal is the reach hip length straightened/stretched by December of this year.

ETA: I wasn't able to blow my hair for my starting pic. :sad: So I'm just posting a frizzy wash n' go. I may have to use one of my passes for a blown/stretched hair pic in June? :look:

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Is it too late to join this challenge? I plan on putting my hair in Senagalese twists this summer. I already know I'm going to use one pass for my graduation on May 15th. But after that, I'm braiding it up! :yep: This pic is not great; my hair is just blow dried, not flat ironed.

Attachments

• April Length Check.jpg
    April Length Check.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 32
Since I'm wearing wash and go's for the next couple of months I will take new starting pics on May 1 so that I can get track of my growth.

*takes a deep breath*

............Okay, I'm in! I'm a teacher now and with summers off, I have no excuse to want to look cute with my butt inside the house or wandering around town most of the time. :lol:

Oh, and I already know I'm using only one heat pass on May 13. I've decided to relax 2 weeks after that (I like my NG straighter for faster application on relaxer day). Here are my starting pictures taken on 4/3/11:

picture.php

Last edited:
Tomorrow is the start of the challenge! So excited! This will go well with my 6 month protective styling challenge that starts tomorrow as well. I already posted my starting length in my original post. :)

I am in. I will use 1 and only 1 pass and that is the end of May when I relax and get a trim.

Summer is rainy season here anyway so I will be fine.

I have not used heat since April 9th. I usually use it every week. I thought I'd be itching to flat iron by now, but I'm liking this. I've been thinking I may flat iron for July 4th. That will give me a chance to dust my ends if necessary.

I'll have to post an old mini length check I did a week or so ago since I forgot to take any pics before I got these horrible twists in. I'll be taking them out very soon so I'll be sure to post an updated pic then.

I haven't taken any length check pics, but I laid off direct heat as of mid April and I'm loving it. I feel like I'm really learning my hair and I'm loving it! I learned to rollerset my hair (4a/4b - it can be done) Then I just do about 8 flat twists to stretch it out and wear a chignon to protective style somewhat.

I plan on flat ironing for a wedding in August. After that I'm back to no heat for the rest of the year.

Last edited:
Im in, once again! Can't post a starting pic bcuz of the hyh challenge and also I'm weaved up...but I'm ready!!

I wanted to post this yesterday since it was the official first day, but the challenge has officially started! If you have not posted your starting pic yet do so by the 5th (exception for the ladies in the HYH challenge). I DC'd yesterday and I'm wearing a WnG today. Great start for the no heat challenge. Its raining almost everyday where I'm at so I refuse to pick up any type of heat appliance anyway.

Last edited:
Would love to join ya'll.

I haven't used any direct heat since my last relaxer in January. The humidity will be off the chain here so no need for me to straighten anyway -- wouldn't last long.

I'm transitioning and will use a pass on 5/18 when I go to get a press and trim. I'll post that pic as my starting point.

This week I am wearing box braids under my wig for my protective style. This Saturday, I will figure out what the hair plan for next week will be!

What are your hair plans for this week?

Let's do this, ladies!
No special plans for me this week, other than washing, DC'ing or steaming with oils. I'll set my hair with Oyin's Hair Dew leave in and Mizani mousse. After that, I do about 8-9 flat twists to stretch my hair more, take them out and chignon.

Today I have a bun, because I didn't time to do anything else...lol but last night I tried for the first time a homemade deep conditoner using avocado, coconut milk, EVOO, and honey. I didn't like it :( So anyway my plan for this week is maybe using my banana clip for two days and then maybe a braid out.

I straightened last week and its still straight from that so im gonna pull it up with a clip for the rest of the week then rollerset overnight at my next co-wash on the weekend!

My hair seems to be growing thick before it grows long so i want to keep it stretched to tackle the NG.

HHG ladies!

Last night I cowashed with moisture maniac and did a braid out. I will probably keep this braid out up until Wednesday and then cowash Thursday morning. I'm not really sure what I want to do with it after that.

I would like to join if it's not too late!

I just got my hair done Friday and will be washing it/DC'ing tonight so I'll be back later tonight to upload starting pics (both straight and curly).

I plan on avoiding heat by doing twistouts, buns and wearing wigs.

Um I totally forgot to make a starting pic last night:look:. I put my hair in two french braids to wear under my wig this week. When I take them down at the end of the week I will post a starting pic.

I'm back with starting pics:

straight hair length:

attachment.php

curly hair starting point (excuse my anorexic twists :look:):

attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_4856.jpg
    100_4856.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 100
  • length5311.jpg
    length5311.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 100