***Summer 2011 No Heat Challenge***

KurlyNinja

I know that I want to see how long I can go without using heat on my hair. I personally have not used heat since this past Christmas. I figured since summer was coming up and humidity is going to keep me from straightening my hair anyway I might as well make a challenge for myself. and I could definately use a support team as well so I'm making this challenge for all who would like to join! This challenge will start from May 1st until September 1st for all who would like join.

Rules:
1. Thank this post if you'd like to join
2. No Direct Heat (Overhead Dryers are fine)
3. Post a Starting Pic by May 5th

Passes:
Allowed 2 Passes for this Challenge

Last edited:
I am in! I haven't used heat since January 2010 and don't plan on using any until this Fall when I am hopefully grazing Waist Length! Plus May 1st is when I start my 6 month protective styling challenge so this would be perfect.

ETA My starting length:

Picture0755.JPG

Last edited:
I just put myself on a No direct heat challenge. I'm in a wedding in August, so I'll have to use a pass for that. I just started this and I never thought it was possible for me. Here's my stats and what I plan on doing:

Fine, Natural, 4a/4b
Friend just challenged me to rollerset my hair. Didn't think it could be done, but it can. I did and I'm so happy I did.
Rollerset (at home or salon) with small rollers. Do flat twists overnight to stretch it. I remove the twists and wear my hair in a chignon. I plan on doing this for the rest of the year.

Last edited:
Haven't used any heat since Christmas Eve so this will be a breeze for me lol. Gonna flat iron this month (maybe) for a length check and then back to my curls and wigs every day.

Count me in...I'll be PS'ing it all summer anyway! I'm grazing APL, so I hope to be either full APL or even BSB by the end of this challenge.

I'm joining!!! I am doing this anyways so this will be fun. So I will be staying in protective styles and maybe a few low manipulation styles for the challenge. I haven't flat ironed my hair since July so it has been a while and I really don't miss it at all.

I have natural 4b/a hair

I'm in :drunk: I haven't used heat since December. I need to do flatiron, it will be the first since my BC and take pics for the MBL challenge and for the sulphur challenge.

Me too! I'll likely do braids and wash n goes for the summer. Not planning to straighten until my 2yr post relaxer-versary in October.

Count me in!! I haven't used heat since Thanksgiving, so this won't be hard, but I'm itching to do a length check :yep:. This will help keep me motivated :grin:. I'll have to take a pass for a wedding I'm attending at the end of July, but I'm planning for that to be my only one.

Count me in. I'll be using buns, cornrows, and ponytails mainly this summer anyway. Since I'm transitioning, I'm terrified of using heat. I want to at least wait until I'm 16 months (basically September).

I'm in!!!! No heat!!!! I need to get my moneys worth out of these caruso rollers anyways! lol. I'm excited!

Starting pic- Blow dried, 3/31/2011
picture.php

Last edited:
I'm in. I'm mainly going to be doing wash and go's and maybe some twist outs for the summer. My starting pic is in the siggy (It says Feb but I had a set back and am still at the same length).

Here my starting pic(s)
DSCN1123-vi.jpg

DSCN1125-vi.jpg

These I from when I BC'd on March 25th. I suspect not much has changed since then.

And ladies dont forget to thank the Original Post. On May 1st I'm going to copy and past all the thanks into the Original Post as the official challengers. :drunk:

I'm in. I'll be blow drying for my 1 year nappiversary at the end of next month, but I live in PS 95% of the time so this should be easy :grin:

I'll be taking out my cornrows this weekend, so I'll update this post with starting pics then.

Hello Ladies,
I am new to this forum, and new to any kind of challenge. But I want to join this one, I am so excited!

Starting Pic:
Pressed Hair 04/23/2011
length check 04-11.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in. I'll be going natural soon so I don't think I will be using an heat for a while. I will post my starting picture here soon.

*** it. I'm in. What's one more challenge? I'll try not to flat iron until my 2 yr. Nappiversary in Sept. I should be good.

I'm in, I have only used heat once since my BC and that was to blow out my hair, I suspect I can get similar results banding.

I suck at challenges because as the thread grows it becomes overwhelming. But I will try this. When I use too much heat and not enough protein my hair sheds, splits, and breaks. Right now that is what is going on plus my hair has thinned.

Heck im in! As a weekly flat iron user @ 7weeks post this is quite the challenge, but I do love the thickness I get with air drying methods. Pics coming soon!

P.S Has anybody got some cute styling ideas for nl relaxed hair?

ETA Pics:
Hair flat ironed
HPIM1970-1.jpg

Air dried
GrazingSLPt2210411.jpg
GrazingSL210411.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in for no direct heat. I'm counting on my rollerset and saran wrap method to give me that silky straight look after I wash and DC weekly. We'll see how that holds up over the summer.

I'm in. I had my 1st BKT two weeks ago. Now, I'm ready to put my hair up. I'm going to experiment with different no-heat styles until I come up with some for this challenge. Oh forget it! I'm going to get sew-ins instead. :spinning:

Starting pic:

Attachments

• DSC03466.JPG
    DSC03466.JPG
    440.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I'll have to take some pics tonight and post them. Getting kinky twists done tomorrow and plan to have them in all of May. Hopefully I get some great growth with them in.

I'm in, I'll post my starting pic after finals...I'm in ATL so there is no point in trying to straighten 4a hair here in the summer, not unless I like wasting $120...on a college budget...not happening :nono:

Back