Sui Topi's Thin, Fluffy Hair Update-- I think I found my solution!

Sui Topi

Hi, I hope you guys remember my thread a while ago about my fluffy, thin, feathery hair woes while my hair is straight, but I have an update! I think maybe 2 weeks ago, I did a protein treatment that consisted of ORS hair mayo, 1 egg, silk amino acid, molasses, and aloe vera gel. My hair did feel stronger but it still kind of had that elastic band thing going on so I opted not to do a moisturizing DC afterwards. I continued co washing during the week with Jason's sea kelp conditioner and last friday I bought some Mane and Tail conditioner thinking it was a gentle protein and something I could co wash with to keep the balance (I had used it while relaxed and it was great). It took about 2 cowashes for me to notice a difference in my hair. Some areas are still elastic bandy, but my hair was not breaking so much over all, and it was kind of getting unmanagable and kind of painful to detangle. I wasn't sure if it was because I was so used to over moisturized hair which just flows with the water while combing and does what you say, but I decided to take it easy and only use Mane and Tail like maximum every other wash. Last night, boredom got the best of me and I flat ironed my bangs. (My hair was air dried in a braid out). It was so shiny and I was happy to see that the line from my trim was still there. I then divided my hair in 2 and started to do the back of my hair. I still had some knotted rough ends that I had left behind after the trim because I didn't want to lose too much length, but generally it still had a straight edge as well. I ended up doing like 3/4 of half of my head and it was so great. Well, a little puffy but it didn't have that feather effect going on anymore. I couldn't even see through it and I hadn't done the whole half of my head yet! I'm so excited! I never realized the importance of the whole moisture/protein balance and I can't believe the difference it really does make. Right now I'm sitting under the dryer with some ORS by it's self in my hair. I hear so many mixed reviews whether it is a protein DC or such a light protein it's considered a moisturizing DC. I figure it works differently in different people's hair so I'm just trying to see what it is saying with my hair. I'm kind of hoping it's moisturizing though. Then I'm going to straighten my whole head and see how it goes.

Last edited:
I remember your thread and I think I posted in it because my hair is somewhat like that. I'm glad you found a solution.

My hair has been doing much better since using more protein because I was over doing it on moisture.

I think that when people have such an issue they should really evaluate their protein moisture balance. It makes such a difference, I swear.

You're so right! Maintaining the protein/moisture balance is no joke.

I'm finding that my hair likes weekly protein treatments, but not so much protein in products that I use on a daily basis. Also, my hair breaks when it's over moisturized, so I've scaled back on that.

Hopefully when I straighten again my hair will have some weight to it and not be so fluffy and whispy.

Last edited:
You're so right! Maintaining the protein/moisture balance is no joke.

I'm finding that my hair likes weekly protein treatments, but not so much protein in products that I use on a daily basis. Also, my hair breaks when it's over moisturized, so I've scaled back on that.

Hopefully when I straighten again my hair will have some weight to it and not be so fluffy and whispy.

This is my hair to a tee!

Thanks for this! This explains why the second time I got my hair straigtened it was alot thicker.. must have been the protein in the MT

Back