Suggestions (and instructions, if possible) for easy natural hairstyles?

tastesosweet

Ladies I'm finally ready to take the plunge and try new, simple, natural hairstyles on this head of mine. To date, my most popular self-styled do' is the afro puff, but I want to expand my options. I've done twists and twist-outs (though I am still mastering the technique), but what other options exist? My hair is past shoulder-length almost to bra-strap, and I'm not opposed to using heat--sometimes. Any suggestions?

i rinse my hair and shingle in a styling cream (miss jessie's curly pudding or curling custard by kinky-curly are my faves) or i'll use condish and gel. i shingle it on & let it air dry into nice curls.

i love twist outs and braid outs. a lot of girls here have success with roller sets! (i'm not good at that, but i wish i was seeing their beautiful results.)

sometimes i just pull my hair into a pony - slicking it back with conditioner or aloe vera gel - and apply styling cream to the length of the pony for nice ponytail curls... or i try to get creative with buns.

and of course, the with a good flat iron all things are possible. :)

To spice up your afro puffs... do 2 :) Slick the hair down w/gel & something shinny like oil or serum, tie down with a satin scarf, and there u go ;)

Slicking back into a pony, and tying the length down w/rubber bands...

or slicking back into a phony pony

I think french braids are cute and easy. You can do 'em wet or dry... then slick the roots & all down w/gel & tye w/scarf...

If you're interested in flat ironing, the Maxiglide is your best bet for natural hair... 45min - 1hr tops

How about a wash n go? Can't get any simpler than that ;)

Last edited:
box braids, boxbraid/cornrow combo style, twists updo, twists in french braids, curled box braids, bantu knots, bantu knot out, roller set, chunky fro, flat twists, comb/finger coils, cornrows in front or sides with loose hair in the back, frenchbraids, and my all time favorite... the wash and go! And I'll stop there. ;)

Super_Hero_Girl said:
box braids, boxbraid/cornrow combo style, twists updo, twists in french braids, curled box braids, bantu knots, bantu knot out, roller set, chunky fro, flat twists, comb/finger coils, cornrows in front or sides with loose hair in the back, frenchbraids, and my all time favorite... the wash and go! And I'll stop there. ;)
Exactly what she said! :lol: Have you been checking out any Naturals' albums for inspiration?

balisi said:
Exactly what she said! :lol: Have you been checking out any Naturals' albums for inspiration?

:) No and I definitely need to. Now the wash and go...I have never done a wash and go on this head of mine. I would think I'd need a texturizer for that. Obviously, I'm wrong. Please school a sista. What products do you ladies use for your wash and go styles?

tastesosweet said:
:) No and I definitely need to. Now the wash and go...I have never done a wash and go on this head of mine. I would think I'd need a texturizer for that. Obviously, I'm wrong. Please school a sista. What products do you ladies use for your wash and go styles?
For wash and goes, some naturals use a curl defining product such as Curling Custard. Another method is to apply gel to soaking wet hair while still in the shower and shaking your head kinda hard a few times (with a washcloth over your face) to "style" your hair. The premise is that the weight of your wet hair works with the gel to "pull" the hair out and down, thus loosening the texture and causing definition.

Back