Natural Thinking Of Texturizer...advice

There is no approved shampoo. Just pick one that's as natural as you can find. I'm actually thinking about making one with African black soap, maybe some aloe vera, etc. My mother just gave me a bottle of some sort of 'clay shampoo', like, a real shampoo that suds and stuff, but I haven't used it yet. Thus far, I'm using whatever I have around cuz I'm trynna use up my (considerable :look: ) pre-natural stash.

Got ya'. In that case I might use some Greek Oil soap, my hair seems to like that. And it's not actually oily, so hopefully it'll do the trick. Or perhaps I'll order some Shikakai. I haven't used that in years.

Got ya'. In that case I might use some Greek Oil soap, my hair seems to like that. And it's not actually oily, so hopefully it'll do the trick. Or perhaps I'll order some Shikakai. I haven't used that in years.
Yummy! :lick: That sounds like it should do the trick. :yep:

You don't find shikakai stripping? I've read a lot of reviews where people complain about it, or do you oil your hair first? (Hmm, that just gave me an idea about how to fit hot oil treatments into the MHM cuz you're not really supposed to use them, but it shouldn't hurt if you wash it right out, right?)

Yummy! :lick: That sounds like it should do the trick. :yep:

You don't find shikakai stripping? I've read a lot of reviews where people complain about it, or do you oil your hair first? (Hmm, that just gave me an idea about how to fit hot oil treatments into the MHM cuz you're not really supposed to use them, but it shouldn't hurt if you wash it right out, right?)

In general I use a lot of oils so it didn't strip my hair, but it did feel very clean. No dryness afterward.

Aren't the oils okay if done after everything else? Maybe if you use them right before next full routine, so it would be after the entire process of the previous one.

In general I use a lot of oils so it didn't strip my hair, but it did feel very clean. No dryness afterward.

Aren't the oils okay if done after everything else? Maybe if you use them right before next full routine, so it would be after the entire process of the previous one.
Pinkecube, the woman who put the regimen together (she also has a yt channel), says that some people may find that some oils coat the hair (like castor oil) and that others have a protein-y effect (like coconut oil) that counters the moisturizing nature of the regimen. In general, though, the basic idea is that they coat the strand in a way that doesn't always come off with acv or bs. But if you're using something that cleans better, I think it should be okay to continue using them (you) or do hot oils treatments (me).

Hopefully. Maybe we can submit our variations if they work well for us.

I often use Olive oil and I see that in the Cherry Lola mix and sometimes vitamin E. I used to use every oil under the sun. LOL But it's under control now and though I will switch up, I stick to one of two at a time.

The internet is littered with 'modifications' of the method. Everybody does their own thing. :lol:

Ah okay! LOL I noticed one of the women they was mentioned as someone to follow hadn't even heard of MHM and said this was just something she'd figured out a few years ago. LOL

Ah okay! LOL I noticed one of the women they was mentioned as someone to follow hadn't even heard of MHM and said this was just something she'd figured out a few years ago. LOL
Yeah, are you talking about aketafitgirl? Pinke Cube acknowledges that she didn't 'invent' anything, she just kinda put put the pieces together and came up with a regimen that worked for her.

The only reason we even know about it is because there was a thread on Black Hair Media called '4c's can't do wng's' or something like that. Anyway, she responded and, instead of continuing the argument, they started asking her about her reggie. :lol: So she did. And the thread got so long that she decided to start her own thread about her regimen, and thus the MHM was born.

Yes that's the one!

Interesting. Well I'm sure glad she decided to put it all together in one place. That was helpful!

I am in love with Akitafitgirl's hair!

Sounds like the story of my natural hair life, even down to the 4/3 combo, products, knots, etc. It drove me to texlax, which I regretted. I transitioned for a 2nd time and now am bsl natural. I have been finding my greatest relief in using heat (380, one pass for a blowout effect. 415 for a relaxer effect.) I'm still learning my heat routine, but it's going well so far. I'm using heat 1x monthly. There's a straight haired natural thread here. I love my natural hair, and don't want to go back to chemicals either. But I am not opposed to straight hair. Like you, my goal at this point (which lead me to heat) is elimination of ssk and length. And I'm slowly learning how to style my straight hair with heatless curls.
Ladies! I need some hair advice. I love, love, love my hair and I wear it natural in a twist out, afro puff, or side twists all the time. I'm 4/a, 4/b, with some 3/b in the back.

However my hair growth is not where I want it to be, and while I like the concept of protective styling, I really can't go more than a few days without doing something to my hair, especially in summer when I wash it a couple of times a week.

My issue is knots, single strand, multiple strand, they are really sabotaging me. So I thought that a solution might be a texturizer. However the thought of using chemicals again scares me. My hair reacts poorly to relaxers.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any texturizer alternatives?

Have any of you with a similar hair texture gone from natural to texturizer?

What was your experience? Do you recommend it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hair Details in a nutshell:

My hair is mainly 4a/4b

When stretched my hair is almost bra strap length. It used to be at BSL but obviously I've lost that in the past couple of years.

I'm looking for something to help me retain length and stop knots.

I rarely use heat (blow dryer 4 times a year, flat iron once or twice a year), my hair doesn't get very straight with either of those methods and I don't want to be too harsh with it by having something like a Dominican blowout.

I've ordered S-Curl moisturizer, Care Free Curl Moisturizer, Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1, and Glycerin to see if any of them will help.

I used to use Glycerine in the past and I like it, but it would mess up my clothes so once it ran out I left it alone.

I'm not militant about natural hair. I love it and would like to keep it this way, but my current goal is length and elimination of knots by any means necessary.

Thanks for that @HappyAtLast ! What you said about regretting it is what I was afraid of happening if I did, but I felt so desperate. If this MHM method doesn't work as planned I might go in for more heat. I know that some people mentioned that using a blow dryer with diffuser was very helpful in lifting the cuticles in order to take in moisture, so maybe I need more of that in my life as well.

I'll look for that thread. Thanks!

!!! I think that I answered my own question. We moved! We now have well water, TBH I think we did before but the filtration system at our condo isn't the same as what we're using now and this water is hard (not overly so) with minerals. THAT is probably what's been causing these knots more than normal!
I meant to tell you, get a shower filter! It's good for your skin too. :yep:

And don't forget to dilute anything creamy that you use (conditioners, leave in or not) with warm water. Low porosity ladies swear by that method.

I meant to tell you, get a shower filter! It's good for your skin too. :yep:

And don't forget to dilute anything creamy that you use (conditioners, leave in or not) with warm water. Low porosity ladies swear by that method.

Thank you! I think we'll head to home depot this weekend for one. Something has to soften this water.

Cool! Especially with the price of KK Custard. LOL Stretching that sounds good to me. Thanks!

I'm so excited about my products coming in...hurry up Amazon! Ha!

Was that the thread in which you originally asked me? I went back to check but I couldn't see it.
Yeah, I just hadn't seen your response yet.

eta: You know what, no, it wasn't. :lol: I asked you in the fall wng thread, but then I felt bad for chatting instead of posting pics, so I stopped. :lol:

Don't do it!
I wash as frequent like you. I trim twice yearly so I couldn't wait that long to cut ssks.
I check for ssks every 2-3 weeks and cut them off. This keeps my hair in good shape and it grows.

I experience less ssks stretching my hair, buns, braid/twist outs.

How often you dc and m/s your hair?

I trim it every few months and actively managed to get rid of split ends that I used to have. (I'm proud of that accomplishment :D ) but I'm thinking that it is the water. I'm going to do a baking soda rinse and a bit of vinegar to hopefully get a lot of buildup off of it and rinse with bottled water. Hopefully between that, the MHM, and some S-curl I'll have nothing but positive things to say about my coils sooner than later! :)
Get a filter!

Don't do it!
I wash as frequent like you. I trim twice yearly so I couldn't wait that long to cut ssks.
I check for ssks every 2-3 weeks and cut them off. This keeps my hair in good shape and it grows.

I experience less ssks stretching my hair, buns, braid/twist outs.

How often you dc and m/s your hair?

I rarely deep condition to be honest. What's m/s?

I do trim it regularly and have no split ends. And I cut or finger detangle my knots as I find them.

Currently I'm going the MHM and see what that does, if it doesn't help than I think I'll go the heat route and start wearing it straight more often than not.

Get a filter!

I will! :D

M/s moisturize and seal. I dc weekly. Protein treatments when hair feels mushy.
I also moisturize and seal at least twice a week. If I skip these steps my hair will be a dried out mess, vulnerable to spits and breakage.

M/s moisturize and seal. I dc weekly. Protein treatments when hair feels mushy.
I also moisturize and seal at least twice a week. If I skip these steps my hair will be a dried out mess, vulnerable to spits and breakage.

Ah! Well each time I wash it I seal it with an oil or oil based pomade and then twist it in sections. It's always soft when I do this, so I'd really think that I shouldn't have knots, but alas...

My hair doesn't take to protein well, it becomes dry.

Protein treatments makes the hair dry, it's highly recommended to follow up with moisturizing dc. I do this and cowash next couple days to restore moisture.

Protein treatments makes the hair dry, it's highly recommended to follow up with moisturizing dc. I do this and cowash next couple days to restore moisture.

I bought this conditioner Giovanni Smooth as Silk (image below) it has protein, but it's supposed to be a deep moisture conditioner, so hopefully it won't be drying. It's not very natural though :/

@honeybee KCKT has some in! I'm now waiting for the custard. Woo hoo. Time to get this MHM on!

Giovanni_Smooth_as_Silk_Deep_Moisture_Conditioner.jpg

I bought this conditioner Giovanni Smooth as Silk (image below) it has protein, but it's supposed to be a deep moisture conditioner, so hopefully it won't be drying. It's not very natural though :/

@honeybee KCKT has some in! I'm now waiting for the custard. Woo hoo. Time to get this MHM on!
Yay!

A word about protein: I personally do not go out of my way to locate natural protein conditioners. The reason is that, protein has to be hydrolyzed into a smaller molecule before it can actually enter your hair strand. To me, eggs can't do all that, and neither can the other 'proteins' I hear about. So I use 'real' proteins, like Nexxus Polymedic Reconstructor and Aphogee (both the 2 step and the 2 min).

Another trick, closer to natural, would be to add your own hydrolyzed protein to your moisturizing conditioners. A lot of companies sell various liquid proteins. I have 'Neutral Protein Filler' (a liquidy, pre-coloring blend of keratin, silk, etc), I just add a capful to my conditioner when I feel I need it. I get it at Sally's. I also have raw keratin and am planning to get some silk amino acids which I buy at 'from nature with love'. :yep:

Last edited:
Yay!

A word about protein: I personally do not go out of my way to locate natural protein conditioners. The reason is that, protein has to be hydrolyzed into a smaller molecule before it can actually enter your hair strand. To me, eggs can't do all that, and neither can the other 'proteins' I hear about. So I use 'real' proteins, like Nexxus Polymedic Reconstructor and Aphogee (both the 2 step and the 2 min).

Another trick, closer to natural, would be to add your own hydrolyzed protein to your moisturizing conditioners. A lot of companies sell various liquid proteins. I have 'Neutral Protein Filler' (a liquidy, pre-coloring blend of keratin, silk, etc), I just add a capful to my conditioner when I feel I need it. I get it at Sally's. I also have raw keratin and am planning to get some silk amino acids which I buy at 'from nature with love'. :yep:

Good to know. Thank you! I like the concept of combining conditioners. It will give me a chance to see how this one works on my hair without of becoming too hard, that scares me. LOL

Back