Stretching making my sides thin out?

BadMamaJama

I'm at 10 weeks and I'm trying to go 4 mos at the very least. I think I've figured out how to tame my ng but my sides seem to be really suffering. I actually never had issues with my sides when I relaxed every 4 weeks, but now that I'm trying to stretch, they are majorly thinning out. :wallbash: Has anyone else had an issue with stretching and keeping their sides?

Everyone can't do long stretches. Is this your first stretch at 10 weeks or have you stretched longer before? It's hard to believe one 10 wk stretch would thin your edges. But with that said, you have to be very careful when stretching and have a lot of patience. Long stretches (16wks or longer) have done my hair more harm than good. Therefore I am not doing them anymore. My hair seems to find a good balance between 11-13 wks. Also becareful if you are bunning as many stretchers do. If your bun is too tight it will cause stress on your edges and therefore cause them to thin.

Wearing a satin bonnet really hurt my edges...so now I wear a scarf.

I stretch to 12-16 weeks and I'm texlaxed, this does not hurt my edges at all...why would it?

But I also do not brush my hair. I do not put it in tight buns and I do not stress my edges at all, in any way.

Double check your routine and see if you are putting any stress on your edges. If you are relaxing, relax the edges and nape last. I hope this helps.

Sorry you are having this issue!

My sides and edges have actually thickened up from stretching. I used to be an every 4 weeks relaxer myself and that took its toll on my poor edges.

While stretching, be sure you are being extra gentle with your edges. Here's what I do:

-No brushing. I haven't used a brush in almost 4 years. The scarf method works wonders for keeping my edges in line.

-No heat. I don'tcare about keeping my hair super straight, so I never apply direct heat.

-Be careful with styles that put stress on your edges. Buns and ponytails are great, but only if they are not pulled too tight.

-Deep conditioning. My last stretch was 1 day shy of being 16 weeks and I noticed a huge difference in my hair after dc'ing with Nexxus Humectress.

-Going easy on the protein. Around week 13, I made note that my hair began to feel a little stiff after dc'ing with Motions CPR. I'll only dc with Humectress after week 12 or so.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

Sorry you are having this issue!

My sides and edges have actually thickened up from stretching. I used to be an every 4 weeks relaxer myself and that took its toll on my poor edges.

While stretching, be sure you are being extra gentle with your edges. Here's what I do:

-No brushing. I haven't used a brush in almost 4 years. The scarf method works wonders for keeping my edges in line.

-No heat. I don'tcare about keeping my hair super straight, so I never apply direct heat.

-Be careful with styles that put stress on your edges. Buns and ponytails are great, but only if they are not pulled too tight.

-Deep conditioning. My last stretch was 1 day shy of being 16 weeks and I noticed a huge difference in my hair after dc'ing with Nexxus Humectress.

-Going easy on the protein. Around week 13, I made note that my hair began to feel a little stiff after dc'ing with Motions CPR. I'll only dc with Humectress after week 12 or so.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

DITTO!! This all applies to me as well. :yep: I could have written this myself. Streching is great, but you have to be doubly careful with weaker areas. No pulling or stressing the nape, edges and sides during a long stretch.

I also have never had a problem with losing my edges or sides due to stretching. To start: my edges are not in the best shape but getting better since I started stretching.

I've actually found that applying relaxer too often was not helping and possibly doing more damage so I aimed to stretch my relaxers as a result.

Stretching IMO highlights or showcases problem areas that relaxers mask because the new growth texture always makes the relaxed ends look pitiful.

After 10 weeks relaxed hair takes on a new flavor. Taming 10+ week hair is a whole new ball game.

It's unrealistic for me to try to get rid of kinks after 10 weeks the best I can do is to try to do my best interpretation of a 'natural' style.

But, it took a long time for me to be able to stretch more than 8 weeks let along 10.

I realize that stretching isn't for everyone and 10 weeks is a pretty good stretch by itself so if you feel that you cabt't stretch anymore then you should relax because 10+ weeks relaxer stretches CAN cause damage by breakage if you can't style or by combing and also by not knowing what products work for you (yet).

So, I would definately lean on the side of caution. Maybe if you want to stretch again you can add a week next time and relax at 11 weeks?

Last edited:
Thanks ladies. I dont really know if it's the stretching, I'm just kind of wondering if it could be.
lana brought up a really good point about the bonnet. I've worn it everyday since starting my relaxed hj in April and that and the stretching are the only things I'm doing different.
I'm half wigging it the rest of the year and I was putting my hair in a ponytail but that won't work anymore. I'll make sure not to use my brush anymore and be easy when doing my cornrows.
I'm finally figuring out how to work with my ng and I do not want to relax yet.

Thanks ladies. I dont really know if it's the stretching, I'm just kind of wondering if it could be.
@lana brought up a really good point about the bonnet. I've worn it everyday since starting my relaxed hj in April and that and the stretching are the only things I'm doing different.
I'm half wigging it the rest of the year and I was putting my hair in a ponytail but that won't work anymore. I'll make sure not to use my brush anymore and be easy when doing my cornrows.
I'm finally figuring out how to work with my ng and I do not want to relax yet.

Hi BadMamaJama - yes, it was definitely the satin bonnet that tore out my edges. I stopped wearing it years ago and at the time I started to use vitamin E to grow the edges back, they were thick and full within 6 weeks. I still texlax the edges last along with the nape and it has served me well. :) I hope this helps. Happy hair journey

Back