Stretchers: How do you know it's time to relax?

Opal1821

I'm about 13 weeks post relaxer, and I'm experiencing an increase of shedding. There are a few broken pieces, but mostly it's hair with the white bulb on the end. Is this a sign that I need a relaxer? It just doesn't make sense. :perplexed I've cut back on combing my hair until right before I wash it because of the shedding. How do you determine it's time to end the stretch?

There will be some shedding but you must train the hair to stretch the first time I stretch I could not go more than 12 weeks now I am up to six months. I did have shedding the first time and when it became excessive I knew it was time the key for me was to mix my conditioner with olive oil so when I rinsed the roots were super soft to comb through. I went from 12 months straight to six months at six months it barely shedded at all.:)

I recently stopped relaxing. However, when I did I relax/texturize, I would stop stretching and would relax when I noticed a lot more hair in my hands when combing or washing. These were not shed hairs (with a bulb at the end), but they were long hairs so I was pretty sure these were breaking at the point between the relaxed/non-relaxed hair.

This would stop immediately as soon as I relaxed my hair. It took some trial and error for me to discover this -- as I would first try protein treamtments, then deep conditioning with moisture. When protein/moisture didn't work, it was then that I realized I needed to stop stretching and relax. HTH.

I am currently stretching for the first time...It will be 12 weeks in July and thats when I plan to relax. The longest I have stretched before was maybe 8 weeks and that was not due hair health but due to being broke at the time :lol: . It used to be every 6 weeks. I haven't experienced any unusual shedding/breakage yet, but at least I know some signs to look for. I think I can make it :grin:

I am 14 weeks post relaxer and I have the same problem. I did the treatments and everything but i still get strands of hair in my hand. I have resorted to combing in the shower after I rinse the deep conditioner out. It helps alot. I am going to relax next monday bc i am tired of looking at my hair in my hands.

:grin:

ravenmerlita said:
I recently stopped relaxing. However, when I did I relax/texturize, I would stop stretching and would relax when I noticed a lot more hair in my hands when combing or washing. These were not shed hairs (with a bulb at the end), but they were long hairs so I was pretty sure these were breaking at the point between the relaxed/non-relaxed hair.

This would stop immediately as soon as I relaxed my hair. It took some trial and error for me to discover this -- as I would first try protein treamtments, then deep conditioning with moisture. When protein/moisture didn't work, it was then that I realized I needed to stop stretching and relax. HTH.
This is also how I discovered that 13 - 15 weeks is the cutoff time for my stretching. I did 16 weeks once but there was too much hair in my hands.

Well my first stretch was 12 weeks and I only relaxed then because it was my first time and prior to that it was every 6 weeks. NOw I am at 15 weeks and counting and my hiar is doing fine. Once I start to experience any unusual shedding I will relax but my aim is 20 weeks. I use no heat and airdry either in a bun or rollerset and do regular co washes

The same thing has been happening to me too. I see alot of shed hair (with white bulb) that I have not seen in a long time. I am now 3 months post texturizer but I normally texturize every 2 months. However, I have been cowashing daily so I can't tell my new growth from my texturized hair because it's so soft compared to when I used to wash once a week. By cowashing daily, I am motivated to stretch more than 2 months but I am seeing so many shed hairs and I don't even comb my hair. Should I continue to stretch to 4 months even though I don't feel like I have enough newgrowth because it's too soft from cowashing?

Thanks ladies for the help! :kiss: I think it may be time for me to relax. I hope it's not something more serious than that. I could be yanking out the hairs because I'm not detangling well after washing. Airdrying has helped a bit, but I realized that I have to work through my hair with a water-based moisturizer before washing. Otherwise, my hair starts coming out in clumps in the shower because the loose shed hair wraps around the rest. (Took two washes and a lot of pain for me to figure this out:( ) I actually have another question for the strechers: Do you apply something special to your new growth daily? I have found that if I apply the moisturizer every other night, it makes my life easier come wash time.

When I look at my hair in the mirror and want to cut it all off, be bald, and get a wig because I can't do a damn thing with my own hair.

ETA: Thats strange because I have never experienced increased shedding as a result of needing a relaxer. I always just do it as a "f**K this s**t I need this stuff on my hair straight" type of thing. Do you think that over time this passes because I don't remember back in the day but maybe once you train your hair to stretch out the relaxer it wont shed anymore??? I don't know, just a thought.

Last edited:
Braid it up for two weeks and forget about it. By the time you take the braid out, you would have missed the time you weren't able to play in it and you will start to appreciate the beauty of your hair. That will also help stretch it a further 2 weeks.

MissFallon said:
When I look at my hair in the mirror and want to cut it all off, be bald, and get a wig because I can't do a damn thing with my own hair.

ivanay said:
Braid it up for two weeks and forget about it. By the time you take the braid out, you would have missed the time you weren't able to play in it and you will start to appreciate the beauty of your hair. That will also help stretch it a further 2 weeks.

I work at a location where I can not have braids in my hair (of any kind). Plus I have a 5-head and Im not ready to share it with the world on a daily basis. I need to stretch it 12 more weeks. I will find a way...I have a couple more tricks up my sleeve before I give in and relax. I know its not gonna be in 12 weeks though...maybe 5 if im lucky.

ravenmerlita said:

This happened to me too!

Back