Straightening Natural Hair With Flat Irons

vtoodler

Can you straighten natural hair with a flat iron? Is it efficient enough?

If so, must you use a special type of flat iron?

I straighten with a flat iron. Can't handle a hot comb. I use the Joico K-Pak Reconstrx vapor iron.

For visuals go to youtube .. Type in flat ironing natural hair .. Lots of tutorials.

Always use a heat protectant I like sabino block for natural hair. Basically wash and condition first, blow dry till straight then flat iron.. In small sections

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I think everyone can flat iron natural hair straight. However, some say it needs very high heat, which they are not willing to do for risk of heat damage. I am able to, and my flat iron didn't cost a lot and is no big brand name at all. Just make sure the plates are ceramic and or tourmaline throughout, and not just the coating of the plates, use a silicone based heat-protectant, do it in small sections with the chase method and you should be alright! You may prefer to blowdry first, or airdry in big braids, or set on rollers to stretch it out first and reduce the heat needed to get it straight.

HTH

Rollersetting and then flat ironing works best for me. I have a FHI Runway.

Ceramic ones with temperature controls are efficient.

Definitely. I think any flatiron will do. I use a Generic Chi, from Sally's, and it gets my hair as straight as a relaxer. The only other products I put on my hair are Aphogeen Green Tea & Keratin Restructurizer or Sabino Lok & Blok.

Yes you can. I can get my hair straigt using the chase method and a flat iron brush. a regular fine toothed comb doesnt work. The flat iron doesnt get my hair as bone straight as i like so i prefer to press it with an electric hotcomb and then flat iron. Its all about preference and how much heat your hair can take.

I believe that is how most naturals straighten (myself included) their hair.

Ditto. I stretch my hair by airdrying either in plaits or Curlformers. Then I flat iron. I don't use the comb/brush chase method (I think brushes are the debil and just tear at strands). I just use one hand to hold a narrow section of my hair up and somewhat stretched and then I clamp the iron at the base of the section and slide it all the way to the end, letting go of the end my hand was holding/stretching just before the iron gets to it.

Takes me from this:
rabouttorinsebeforeflatironing-vi.jpg

to this:
flatironthroughhaironemoretime-vi.jpg

I do use a hot flat iron though: 446 degrees F (230 degrees C) but I use two heat protectants and meticulously coat every inch of my hair.

Ditto. I stretch my hair by airdrying either in plaits or Curlformers. Then I flat iron. I don't use the comb/brush chase method (I think brushes are the debil and just tear at strands). I just use one hand to hold a narrow section of my hair up and somewhat stretched and then I clamp the iron at the base of the section and slide it all the way to the end, letting go of the end my hand was holding/stretching just before the iron gets to it.

Takes me from this:
rabouttorinsebeforeflatironing-vi.jpg

to this:
flatironthroughhaironemoretime-vi.jpg

I do use a hot flat iron though: 446 degrees F (230 degrees C) but I use two heat protectants and meticulously coat every inch of my hair.

Nonie, your posts are always so detailed and accompanied by pics. Love it.

OP, I use a Sedu and flat iron my hair. When I take my time the results are nice. Just nice. It's not bone straight, which is okay with me because I like volume in my looks. However, when I go to my stylist, she uses a Babyliss iron and she pretty much glides once over the hair and my hair is silk smooth. I think about getting a Babyliss iron, but it might very well be technique I need to work on.

My goodness Nonie...I never realized you were my possible hair twin lol. That could be my hair up there!

I too was skeptical of flat irons being able to straighten kinky hair before I joined the board. But it's definitely true. You've been given good advice here- especially re the use of a good heat protectant and flat ironing in very small sections. I would just add that using a blowdryer beforehand may not be necessary for your hair. I found it a little drying and time consuming (although I LOVED how my hair looked blow dried lol). You may want to try banding or braiding your hair to airdry before flat ironing.

Good luck!

the hot comb gets my hair straighter than a flat iron.

but im a "ducker" :lol::blush:

icant stand the heat near my scalp:perplexed

imight try blow drying before trying to flat iron again. my hair is dieing for a wash :look: but dread having to get it pressed :(

Back