Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

Oh thanks for this! Appreciate it

She used another product. Bet she had the iron at 450. Even with heat protection I know my hair is not about that high heat life. Sounds like she was struggling with liking her natural self at the time too.

Alls I'm trying todo is avoid ssk so I can retain. My iron stays in the 300s. So far Im reverting 100% :up:

Wish me luck!
Do you have fine hair? I have fine to medium. I can flat iron at 415 degrees and still be cool, my DD the same as well.

I'm going to stretch my hair out a bit more tonight or tomorrow, with the blow dryer (concentrating on my roots in the front)I'm wearing a Twistout.

How about you ladies living in the South do you stay straight in the summer? I have never even bothered flat ironing in the summer because I feel like reversion will kick my butt. How do you keep it straight?

How about you ladies living in the South do you stay straight in the summer? I have never even bothered flat ironing in the summer because I feel like reversion will kick my butt. How do you keep it straight?
Hi! Long time lurker here.

I don't live in the South but I live in the Bahamas at 80-90% humidity year round. The only thing that keeps my hair mostly straight is Sabino Moisture Block (I use the new one which has been revised back to the old formula.). I mix it into my DC and add more before blow drying.

I blow dried with my Conair wide tooth comb attachment last night and braided my hair. It took some of the bulk out of my hair and I got better towards the end. I think a blowdry once a month will help stretch my roots.

Wow, what a good thread. I read most of it and glad I stumbled upon it. I have been going back and forth about styling my hair curly or straight. Frankly, I look better with straight hair. Curly my hair doesn't look good with wng's (I look like a chia pet) and too thin for twist outs. I flat ironed it yesterday because I was out of all of my curly stylers. Frankly, I was just sick of my hair being hard and dry most of the time as nothing I've tried over the 10 years being natural have worked. And I just like the ease of straight hair, but I don't want a relaxer. Plus if I decide to color my hair, I don't want to worry about a double chemical process (relaxer and color).

I think I'm going to make an appointment with the LWsalon in NYC and get a good color and precision hair cut. Hopefully they won't heat damage my hair. I had been going to Hair Rules but, of late everything Dickey does looks the same to me. For once I want a haircut that fits my face.

Lots of good info in this thread. I think I'm going to stay straight for awhile, until it gets too humid in the Northeast. Going back to my Aestelance products. I think I'm done with the natural, no cone products for awhile.

Just purchased Aestelance Repair Creme. Sample sizes of Hydrate leave-in, GL shampoo, and Finishing hair cream. The Repair creme leaves my hair so soft. I used this product line at the beginning of my natural hair journey and while transitioning. Back to basics.

I haven't posted in a while but YT videos has got me itching to straighten again. The only thing I'm struggling with is moisture. Even with pre-pooing and deep conditioning after a few days my hair is like straw. What do you ladies add to your hair to keep it moisturized without it reverting?

I haven't posted in a while but YT videos has got me itching to straighten again. The only thing I'm struggling with is moisture. Even with pre-pooing and deep conditioning after a few days my hair is like straw. What do you ladies add to your hair to keep it moisturized without it reverting?
Protein treatment.

I'm going to have to read this thread. I've considered being straight hair natural because I love the way my hair looks when my stylists straightens it, smooth, shiny and swingy :drunk:. But I workout 5-6 time a weeks and my roots revert and then my hair stops swinging and looks wiggy. I'm not going to stop working out so I'm guessing straight hair isn't a good style for me. Unless I go back to relaxers.

And then yesterday I was out with my hair super straight and the fog got to it. Now it's partially reverted. :cry3:

I flatironed last week and I only finger detangled. I'm shocked that I didn't need a comb. I used Frizz Ease Straight Fixation cream on each section and did 2 passes on 250. My hair got fairly straight considering I used the lowest setting. Last week I used 3oo and got my hair bone straight so that I could trim for Fall Equinox.

I'm washing my hair again Wednesday. I'll be using Chroma Riche shampoo and mask. I'm looking forward to lightweight, blinging hair next week. My wig is a frizzy mess, so I might jus wear my own hair until I find a replacement wig.

I'm going to have to read this thread. I've considered being straight hair natural because I love the way my hair looks when my stylists straightens it, smooth, shiny and swingy :drunk:. But I workout 5-6 time a weeks and my roots revert and then my hair stops swinging and looks wiggy. I'm not going to stop working out so I'm guessing straight hair isn't a good style for me. Unless I go back to relaxers.

And then yesterday I was out with my hair super straight and the fog got to it. Now it's partially reverted. :cry3:
This is my issue. I'm thinking of being straight hair natural and read the thread but I go to the gym often like you and I'll sweat out the straightness so I've just been wearing a wet/airdrying bun all the time with a flat ironed side fringe/bang only.

I'm six months post relaxer and weighing up my options. I also look better with straight hair but getting my body in shape is a priority for me. Ugh it's not fair lol

I've been experimenting with heat protectants each time I straighten. So far I have tried Frizz Ease straight fixation and Kerastase Nectar Thermique. I want to use Keratin Thermique next time and eventually I will buy some more Chi silk infusion. So far Frizz ease has given me the best results.

I miss you guys, I've been wearing twisted updos. It's cool but it's not flowy straight hair.
Pics ??

On another note, I just started working out and naturally I'm a head sweater. This will only get worse as I continue to have more challenging work outs. So far, I've been washing twice a week. My main concern is having a clean scalp, my issue is now what to do with my hair all the time afterwards. Last week I was home so I washed did a twist out and then sat under the dryer to soak up some of the water. Saturday I washed and blow dried my hair. I'm giving thought to heat training it possibly. Idk. Not with the intent of wearing it bone straight because that will be virtually impossible with working out and reversion, but where I can blow dry and do a light flat iron and be able to still slick it back with a little gel, bun/ponytail and keep it moving. Or wear it fluffy in a blow dried twist out.. idk. I've been looking at some youtube videos on different styling options for natural hair and I tried a few styles that I liked but it didn't translate like the video. I'm just wondering what can I do with my length of hair in a kinky state to wear that's cute and convenient. That leaves me with nightly twist outs, wet bun, or 2 cornrows going back. Idkkkk...

I want a new flat iron. The one I have is fine, but I like having options. I might order one from folica since they are having a sale

@Britt I don't have pics. But my main style is two flat twists pinned up. I will do big twists, pin them up. Inverted twists with a bun. & twistouts. I too have been working out and my straight hair can't handle the sweat.

Next week I'm going to try flexirods on stretched hair.

@Britt I don't have pics. But my main style is two flat twists pinned up. I will do big twists, pin them up. Inverted twists with a bun. & twistouts. I too have been working out and my straight hair can't handle the sweat.

Next week I'm going to try flexirods on stretched hair.
Thank u! I am struggling with my hair and the working out situation.

This is my issue. I'm thinking of being straight hair natural and read the thread but I go to the gym often like you and I'll sweat out the straightness so I've just been wearing a wet/airdrying bun all the time with a flat ironed side fringe/bang only.

I'm six months post relaxer and weighing up my options. I also look better with straight hair but getting my body in shape is a priority for me. Ugh it's not fair lol

This is my hair style of choice as well. But my bangs still poof up when straightened!

I thought about tex-laxing to ease some of the poofy -iness and relaxed the curl pattern some. But I don't know.

@SlimPickinz thank you for these! Do you do all of these? The top one looks challenging. I'll watch the tutorials later on. From the still pic in the last one that style looks like it would look great on you because of the length of your hair. What is your regimen since you've been working out and not flat ironing? Do you wash more and then air dry/style?

Went to the gym this morning and my hair stayed straight!!!!!! My roots alil puffy but not noticeable. I currently have my hair in two pigtail bantu knots and a headband. I will take down in alil bit. I think my hair was able to stay straight b/c of the sleek matrix heat protectant/anti-humidity spray

Back