Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

Ladies who have used the TMS, how do you like it?
I am looking into using it to see if it will help keep my hair straight for a bit instead of poofing up once I walk out the door
I really liked how my hair felt after using beautiful textures tms kit! The results were really good! But I am going to try Shea moisture or aveda when I get more length. I just cut my hair, so I'm in no need to use heat right now. But I plan to straighten in the winter.

Hi All,

I'm actually a curly natural but since i've color treated my hair, it's so dry and gets tangled so easy that i am thinking i need to start pressing it(flat iron) to keep it from knotting up and matting given its current condition. This is a bummer for me because i love the curly and i've concerned about not being able to preserve curl pattern on newer hair. At this point i need to do something to save what i have and i think wearing it straight will lessen the stress on it and i usually find that it's stays moisturized better. I am open to any suggestions here. I went to a brighter color, which i loved, but my hair has paid the price.

Help.
Have you tried tension blow drying? I need to do this more with my daughter! It really does help with the tangles and knots! Plus her twists look better, and she has less shrinkage!

I moisturized, sealed and baggied my hair today. My ends feel pretty good. I plan on washing my hair next week ; at least I think so. I used shea moisture curl stuff and an Moroccan and argan oil heat protectant as my sealant

Welp it was fun while it lasted. :drunk: I got 2 weeks out of my straight hair. It rained this entire weekend plus I went hardcore on cardio for the last 4 days. I had a mini afro amongst straight ends. :lachen: I'll be rocking braid and curls until August when I can straighten again.

I got my hair straightened today for the first time since January. Too bad it's raining. My roots are already trying to rebel. Hopefully I get at least 2 weeks of smooth hair.

I blow dried yesterday using chi silk infusion. I don't know why I ever stopped using this stuff. The bottle was so old it was gold lol.
What are you all's favorite serums for smooth results when blow drying?

I blow dried yesterday using chi silk infusion. I don't know why I ever stopped using this stuff. The bottle was so old it was gold lol.
What are you all's favorite serums for smooth results when blow drying?
Chi Silk has been my fave since before the hair forums. I used it on my relaxed hair and wow... I still get the wow factor when I use it at the Dominican salon. I'm actually afraid to try anything else lol

Has anyone ever skipped deep conditioning when straightening? I used to do it all the time but now I don't. It's just a waste of my time and I've found that I don't need it. As long as I heat style on clean hair, I'm good to go and I don't have any damage. Now I do shampoo AND condition regardless but I just don't do the extra step of deep conditioning.

Has anyone ever skipped deep conditioning when straightening? I used to do it all the time but now I don't. It's just a waste of my time and I've found that I don't need it. As long as I heat style on clean hair, I'm good to go and I don't have any damage. Now I do shampoo AND condition regardless but I just don't do the extra step of deep conditioning.
I'm way to scared to do that. I deep condition every single time. Moisture gives me better results anyway so a really good deep condition is an absolute must...for me.

Sometimes I skip the dc. If I am in a hurry I just let the shampoo girl let my conditioner sit for a couple minutes without heat/plastic cap. It's still technically a dc, but a quickie dc.

Hello,

I've pretty much mastered the art of making a press last 4 weeks/mth each time. I just need help regarding building a straight haired regimen. My last BC was 2/15/13 now I'm basically hovering at APL. I've been rocking my curly twa up until February when I decided to try a pressed/straight look due to convenience. I fell in love with the ease of the pressed hair. But, have no idea if I am harming my hair by only shampooing once a mth. The products I am using are the Cupuacu Anti Frizz collection from Carol's Daughter. This line contains a vegetable and soy protein. So I am considering it as a protein treatment. Is this safe to use monthly or should I be alternating with a moisture line? Also, is it ok to do the once a mth routine or should I be doing biweekly instead? Hopefully some of you experienced straight haired naturals can chime in and help me out.

If I do change to the biweekly routine I would blow dry and rollerset for one of the wash days. The other wash day I would probably blow dry and flat iron. I haven't tried my Caruso rollers on blow dried hair so far only flat ironed and they are the business. That's how I'm able to last a mth off of one flat iron. Thanks in advance for any advice you have for me:bighug:.

Last edited:
So I haven't straightened my hair in maybe a month. Well, I did a light blow out 2 weeks ago but I'm not counting that. I just trimmed and don't plan on straightening for another month or so. Since I've been straightening, my hair stretches much easier and I've been wearing curly styles by perm rods. I don't get a full week out of my style - especially with this dang humidity - maybe about 3-4 days. If I do the perm rods over every 4 days or so is that too much manipulation you think? I've been retaining well enough and I'd like to keep it that way.

I am on day 6 of my blowout and I still have a lot of body. My roots are reverting a bit, but whatev. I love how light my hair is. My Kerastase stylist is a Godsend!

I plan to get my next blowout in 2 weeks

I am on day 6 of my blowout and I still have a lot of body. My roots are reverting a bit, but whatev. I love how light my hair is. My Kerastase stylist is a Godsend!

I plan to get my next blowout in 2 weeks
I am loving using the Kerastase stuff I've had in my stash recently. What did the stylists use on you? I've been using some scalp serum in a golden bottle and something from a green jar to protect my ends. I really need to get back to a Kerastase salon cauase their stuff is good just pricey

@ayannahere she used a clarifying poo for the first lather. Then she used the Discipline line (pink) bain, Keratine Thermique mask and Nutri Thermique smoothing milk before my blowdry. My hair is still light and feather soft. I use the Thermique leave in every other day to keep my hair moisturized.

The golden stuff is probably Elixir Ultime and that's liquid gold. I have the matching shampoo and mask, but I haven't tried the mask yet

Last edited:
I got another blowout Friday. She used Oleo Relax serum in addition to everything from last time. The serum is a little too heavy for me.

i'm so upset. i have had two silk presses in the last month. today, i wash my hair. i have heat damage on maybe 50% of my head. entire locks just refuse to curl. i'm really annoyed because even though i want to be a straight haired natural, i don't want damage either. i think the black woman doing my hair put too much heat. blowout, then hot comb, then flat iron. i'm pissed.

so now i have to spend $60 i didn't plan on spending to fix my hair for work tomorrow. :(

i'm so upset. i have had two silk presses in the last month. today, i wash my hair. i have heat damage on maybe 50% of my head. entire locks just refuse to curl. i'm really annoyed because even though i want to be a straight haired natural, i don't want damage either. i think the black woman doing my hair put too much heat. blowout, then hot comb, then flat iron. i'm pissed.

so now i have to spend $60 i didn't plan on spending to fix my hair for work tomorrow. :(
Aww sorry to hear that. Sometimes its best to spend the time doing these things ourselves. Not only does it save money but also that element of risk is slightly alliviated.

I hope you find a solution soon. I had heat damage on a 1/4 of my head at one point so I know how horrible it can be.

@naija24 are you sure it's heat damage? If she used cones or anything anti humidity you will need to clarify. I thought I had heat damage too, but my stylist clarified my hair and my kinks reappeared.

So I went to a much more upscale natural hair salon and had my hair looked at. She said that my hair wasn't damaged, but she did say that there as no need for that much heat. She blew me out on a low heat setting and then she just pressed it. I'm happy with it. Same price, more care. She tried telling me that if I like having my hair straight 100% of the time, that I should just get a relaxer. No thank you. I guess I may have to accept that my texture may change a bit from consistent heat.

I have some heat damage in the front of my hair from a photoshoot I did. The stylist used a heat protectant, but he wasn't very thorough :/ all he spoke about were his healthy hair practices....I'm going to do a strong protein treatment after I chelate (spent time in a thermal pool), and I hope my curls return.

I am so bored with my hair right now. I have no idea what to do with it. I've been wearing a puff for the entire week. Last week I was in a perm rod set that ended up failing mid week so had to wear a puff the last couple days. So basically feel like I've been wearing a puff forever. If I straighten I'm not really sure how to wear it. Been too humid to straighten here much anyway. I may just put in 2 braids and call it a day. But I hate when I feel bored with my hair.

Back