Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

with gel???? whats your method???
when i put that type of gel my hair curls back. its very soft but will curl up.

I saw it on youtube. You use Eco Styler Gel and brush it through your curls VERY SLOWLY. then wrap it overnight. It lays flat and it lasts until you wash your hair. I really like it it when I need to switch it up.

I think come May I'll have about 2.5 inches of hair and I'm gonna be a straight haired natural. I seriously miss straight hair. Idk why but it just looks and feels nicer. At least when my hair is this short. It's either that or I get in braids come June.

I was looking at old photos of my hair growth in 2013 the last time I bc'ed. I went from BC to neck length in 9 months. I'm on month 3!! So I'm hoping my growth is similar this time.

Attachments

• 2013 hair growth.jpg
    2013 hair growth.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 107
Hmmm. I may buy the yellow bird blow dryer again. This one I bought from Ross that has "ions" has never gotten my hair as straight as the yellow bird. I've used 4 different heat protectants and my hair (especially my ends) come out puffy, dry, and curly. It's not lack of trimming. My hair is fine when I do bantu knots without heat. Maybe I'll let a professional press it out.

I haven't posted in here in a while but I am back because I've only straightened a few times and my curl pattern has changed. My hair was already a looser texture in the very front and very back. And from the first few times of straightening those parts are even more loose! Has this happened to anyone else's hair. I imagine this is to be expected but how do you deal with it when you want to wear your hair curly? Rollersets?

Hmmm. I may buy the yellow bird blow dryer again. This one I bought from Ross that has "ions" has never gotten my hair as straight as the yellow bird. I've used 4 different heat protectants and my hair (especially my ends) come out puffy, dry, and curly. It's not lack of trimming. My hair is fine when I do bantu knots without heat. Maybe I'll let a professional press it out.

I've heard the Yellowbird is really good. But since you're going for a non-ionic dryer, you might want to try the Gold N' Hot. It's got a good rating and lots of great reviews.

I haven't posted in here in a while but I am back because I've only straightened a few times and my curl pattern has changed. My hair was already a looser texture in the very front and very back. And from the first few times of straightening those parts are even more loose! Has this happened to anyone else's hair. I imagine this is to be expected but how do you deal with it when you want to wear your hair curly? Rollersets?
Depends on how loose your hair is now. Twistouts and flattwistouts with perm rods work great on extremely heat trained/damaged and transitioning hair. But my hair is very coily and (was) very kinky. If it loosens, it's still going to be curly :lachen:!! Seeing transitioners with relaxed hair be able to achieve natural hair styles has cured my fear of losing my curl pattern :drunk:. But shrinkage is the bane of my existence, so :look:

I did a perm rod set and it came out really cute but that was before I realized how loose my curl pattern was in the back. I'ts more wavy now than curly and the front - forget about it. It never even had a defined pattern. Lol I just didn't want to have to set my hair every time I wanted to wear it curly. This isn't going to stop me from straightening my hair this weekend though! :drunk:

So instead of the salon visit to length check..it took 2 hours but i straightened by hair myself...it came out beautifully...so nice that i feel i did a better job than my usual stylist:)

also..protein is what my hair was missing..ever since i upped the protein my strands are much healthier...smdhh i wish i wouldve done this yrs ago....as you can see and feel the difference..i have no split ends..my hair is not splitting up the shaft as it is much healthier and stronger....against heat and manipulation....break thruuuu!!!!

Anybody else sad that warm weather and humidity is coming? I wasted so much of the winter trying to do wash and goes and all I got was a bunch of ssk! My hair has been doing so much better with a rotation of flat ironing and roller setting these past few weeks.
*Raises hand* I am!!! It's been raining so much (it being April and all ) :cry3:. A part of me wants to straighten now, and another part of me wants to wait until May.

I love my straightened hair so much! I can to ponytails and buns and clip it up!! I can't do jack with my TWA :lachen:!! I need to save up about $60 and go buck wild at Marshall's! I need a decent flatiron, and magical DC, and a good serum. Last time I straightened, I felt like I was putting my hair in danger with my raggedy tools :lachen:

I saw it on youtube. You use Eco Styler Gel and brush it through your curls VERY SLOWLY. then wrap it overnight. It lays flat and it lasts until you wash your hair. I really like it it when I need to switch it up.

I think come May I'll have about 2.5 inches of hair and I'm gonna be a straight haired natural. I seriously miss straight hair. Idk why but it just looks and feels nicer. At least when my hair is this short. It's either that or I get in braids come June.

I was looking at old photos of my hair growth in 2013 the last time I bc'ed. I went from BC to neck length in 9 months. I'm on month 3!! So I'm hoping my growth is similar this time.

Do you have the youtube link? @naija24

Last edited:
*Raises hand* I am!!! It's been raining so much (it being April and all ) :cry3:. A part of me wants to straighten now, and another part of me wants to wait until May.

I love my straightened hair so much! I can to ponytails and buns and clip it up!! I can't do jack with my TWA :lachen:!! I need to save up about $60 and go buck wild at Marshall's! I need a decent flatiron, and magical DC, and a good serum. Last time I straightened, I felt like I was putting my hair in danger with my raggedy tools :lachen:

I'm not brave enough to straighten my own hair. I tried (and failed) once. My hair poofed before I left the house. Next time I attempt to do my own hair I will airdry in braids instead of using a blowdryer. If it wasn't so humid I would try tonight.

I'm not brave enough to straighten my own hair. I tried (and failed) once. My hair poofed before I left the house. Next time I attempt to do my own hair I will airdry in braids instead of using a blowdryer. If it wasn't so humid I would try tonight.

I fail often! :look: But I still practice to get my technique down so I can become a pro. I have the blow drying down really good. It's the flat ironing part. I finally got a really good flat iron and now I have to work on smaller sections. I want movement and body and sometimes my hair is missing that. But I almost never wear it down so I haven't minded much.

I've been watching a lot of videos of silk blow outs. Seems like a lot of people are using keratin shampoos and conditioners to have that relaxed look. Anyone have any experience with that?

I've been watching a lot of videos of silk blow outs. Seems like a lot of people are using keratin shampoos and conditioners to have that relaxed look. Anyone have any experience with that?
I don't really have any experience with it. I use a keratin conditioner that I'm sure I don't use correctly - or by the instructions. Lol I just got it because I liked the ingredients for a light protein and my hair likes it too.

Question for everyone, since I straighten I should up my protein right? But how much? When I wasn't straightening I was doing one protein treatment a month. Now, I use a light protein once a week and before I straighten I'll do a harder protein treatment before my moisture dc. Too much protein you think? My hair hasn't reacted yet.

@KammyGirl thats too much protein. Unless your hair is breaking and splitting the weekly light protein is good enough. I was using Aphgee 2 min as my weekly protein.
So I can cut the protein dc before the moisture dc on days I straighten? That's great because dcing twice is starting to get on my nerves.

I was just so worried that my regular weekly light protein and 1x a month protein dc wouldn't be enough. I'm going to stop now before my hair starts to suffer.

I just did my midweek wash and a quick vo5 kiwi lime clarifying conditioner. My hair is growing nicely, but all the crap I'm using is causing buildup on my strands. I will go back to just using aloe and evoo and see if that helps.

I want to wear my hair straight for 2 weeks but I'm also itching to wash my hair again. I get a dry scalp really quickly and then the flakes start which makes my hair look dirty. But when I oil my scalp too much my hair gets limp and gross. I can't win. Any suggestions on how to combat either of these?

I want to wear my hair straight for 2 weeks but I'm also itching to wash my hair again. I get a dry scalp really quickly and then the flakes start which makes my hair look dirty. But when I oil my scalp too much my hair gets limp and gross. I can't win. Any suggestions on how to combat either of these?

I use mn on my scalp twice a week wheny hair is straight. It keeps the flakes away and it doesn't weigh down my hair. I use it primarily as a growth aid, but it can help extend your blowout as well.

I had a set back. :cry3: my hair broke off of my bangs. I know why. I figured my edges and bangs is what everyone saw so I had to keep them straight... So I flat ironed there a lot. They were so pretty and thick and stretched to my chin. They grow slower than any other section. They had broken to about 1 inch long. Now they're about 2 inches. The rest of my hair is great! The back is almost mid back length. The good thing is I know what I did wrong. I wish I would've protective styled my bangs then like I have to now. Live and learn the hard way, like I tend to do I guess lol. It's all good. I'm so satisfied with the rest of my hair that this doesn't bother me much at all. Plus I learned to French braid:bouncy: and I know exactly how to grow them back. Time, patience and a little creativity.

I have to! I'm looking for another TMS soon! I conditioner just isn't enough! I need the leave in as well. Used Mizani this go around (thermasmooth leave in) and it isn't helping much. I have spring coil curls.

Can I just say how much I am loving my hair today. I didn't do anything special today just wearing a puff but since I've been straightening my hair has become so much easier to manage - not that it was that hard to begin with but still. And I'm still able to wear my cute flexi rod styles with thickness and no straight pieces. The way my hair looks in the front and back has changed but I like it. That part of my hair already had a looser curl pattern.

Also, since I've been straightening my hair it's caused me to pay closer attention to it. I'm moisturizing more because I know my hair will get dry easier and now it always feels so soft. I love it. Anyway, I'm just loving my hair today and though I'd share. :)

I usually use Keratin shampoos and conditioners in between a deep moisturizing treatment before flat ironing. I usually keep my hair that way for almost two weeks. After about a week it can frizz a little, but I noticed when I combine it with a serum, it lasts longer.

I used Beautiful Textures TMS and I need to buy stock in that stuff! I'll have to see how long it holds up in this Texas heat, but the end results were more silky then when I usually flat iron it with out it so it's a winner just for that!

Where did you purchase your from?

Back