Stove Flatirons Yay or Nay?

Her hair looks gorgeous but I'll leave that up to the professionals. I'd be too scared I'd burn myself so I'll stick with my maxiglide and my hana elite.

Lynnerie, The Hana Elite is my dream flat iron...I will be purchasing it soon!

I am a scaredy cat...Knowing me, I would burn a whole patch of my hair out...Her results are lovely, though!

empressri so what is better at straightening? The stove iron or the flat irons? Cuz if I can get those results with a flat iron, I'm game. If I can get those results with the milstan without heat damage, I'm game too

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I mean for me the less risky choice was the electric flat iron so that's what I use the few times I do flat iron. It's never a guarantee with a stove iron for me so I don't chance it.

I vote Nay...
When I used to straighten my hair, it would be at the salon and they'd use the marcel stove.
Now, don't get me wrong the hair was NICE but straight strands galore not to mention fragile, weak strands that broke off easily.

@[URL="http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=97197"]imaccami[/URL] Which Sedu did you get? I just ordered the Sedu revolution and I was wondering how it compares to the first one...

@Ms. Martina I prefer the Sedu 1.5 inch. I got the Revolution for my b-day and I didn't really like it. It got my hair straight but for some reason the 1.5 made my hair shinier. It was a little faster using the Revolution though. I went back to the 1.5 inch and the Revolution is sitting in my drawer. I'm probably going to give it away.

I've read that metal irons on the hair is harmful because metal heats unevenly and gets hotspots, this is why you end up with straight pieces that dont revert and such, its unpredictable. You can get a silky press using traditional ceramic irons balanced with proper technique and proper products for your hair type. I've also found a way to completely avoid the burnt hair smell altogether with my ceramic iron and I always had that smell with the marcels back in the day.

I always strive to achieve each look with the least amount of damage possible so I'll definitely pass.

imaccami thanks for the info. I'm hoping it works for me. If not then I might have to get the original on black friday. Hopefully they will have a 50% off sale. I'm five month post relaxer and still have a ton of relaxed ends, but I plan on keeping it mostly strait throughout my transition. I'm going to need all the help I can get...lol.

I have some, had them for years............... I LOVE MINE :grin::grin:

It was trial and error in the beginning but I learned how to use them and never looked back.. I have some CHI flat irons but to me the thermals do a much better job then any plug in flat irons that i've ever used before..... :yep::yep:

My AA stylist was a master at these. My hair looked relaxed and stayed straight for a long time. I wish I could find her again. I had no damage to my curls either. I could not do this by myself though. Heck, I can barely use the maxiglide.

Her hair looks gorgeous but I'll leave that up to the professionals. I'd be too scared I'd burn myself so I'll stick with my maxiglide and my hana elite.

Exactly! I'm good and I will stick to using my Sedu. My stylist is a professional and I've seen a few times where the stove flat iron got too close to her hand where it could burn, so imagine me trying to do that. I'll leave it to her.

@ all the ladies who are choosing and want to know where a reasonably priced thermostatic heat control stove iron can be found it is called Golden Supreme Elite Stove - with Thermostat Heat go to:

http://texasbeautysupplies.com/golsupelstov.html[/url]

Ms. Martina I know the Revolution will get it straight, hopefully you won't have the increased shedding that I had. Start out on a much lower temp than you think will work and then slowly inc until you get the straightness you want. Good luck, I'm sure it will turn out great!

I wouldn't be lured into this direct heat trap if I were you. I do the Cathy Howse regimen and stove irons are DIRECT HEAT period. Generally a big no-no. She looks like she has the type of hair you can put a ton of heat on and it won't hurt it, (strong, thick cuticle) but most people will get hair damage from repeated use of this type of iron. My hair hates heat and the only thing it can take a little of is ceramic/tourmaline. I'll stick with my Fhi.

I bought the feather flat a year ago and tried it out. It wasn't hard to manipulate in my opnion. My hair was straight for that day, but I didn't get my hair straight when I blow dried it. I couldn't get that technique down. It took me six hours opposed to 45 mins.

I did buy the temperature control stove and the maxium temperature goes up to 465. I set mine about 320 something I guess. Maybe I should have used at least 400.

One day when I am bored again I will try again,hoping to get those salon results.:grin:

Last edited:
I use heat on my hair occasionally. Maybe it's just my hair...heat is heat and excessive heat will damage the hair no matter what I use. I can experienced heat damage from marcels, flatirons, blow dryers, featherflat, hot combs etc.. Whatever type of of heat used I must keep an eye on how hot the temperature is to reduce damage. When I use heat I do notice that my hair press looks better and last longer with a stove.

My sister uses these on her clients...and she has on me (back when I had hair) and it was fine...granted she is a trained professional. Having said that where I am right now is no heat, no way, no sir. I'm thinking that for my 1-year anniversary to go back to my stylist and have her do it, for a length check but besides that. No. I'm scarred.

On another note, am I the only one who thought her hair already looked really straight even before she passed over it with the iron? IDK it just looked really straight to me. Am I crazy?

Bumping....Marcel irons have always worked better on my hair. I've been eying this feather flat for years? Any other reviews?

Bumping....Marcel irons have always worked better on my hair. I've been eying this feather flat for years? Any other reviews?

If you like the results from the Marcel irons you will like the Feather Flat. I am natural and I only use it occasionally. When I want some swing I can never go wrong with the feather flat. As always just watch the temperature. You can't go wrong with either imho.

I want the feather flat purely to use on someone else's hair. I loooove the finish of marcel irons but won't use them on my hair anymore.

Back