A Huffington Post Article - "Why I Don't Regret Cutting My Long Hair Short"

Nice & Wavy

Don't know...she may be a member here???:yep: Link shows pictures of her and her hair.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eilee...ml?utm_hp_ref=style&ir=Style#slide=more254845

Growing up, I've always associated hair with status. My mother was adamant about combing my hair each and every morning into braids topped with barrettes and ribbons. I would hear a comb snap every now and then from getting caught in tangles, but my mother insisted on styling it. Her baby had "good" hair -- hair that was slightly wavy, not too kinky, soft and greased to perfection. My cousin would lament on how I didn't have to worry about having "nappy" hair and my mom took every opportunity to tell family members just how beautiful her daughter's long hair was. Over the years, I've sat by the stove while my grandma pressed my hair straight, gotten burned by chemicals found in PCJ relaxer, sang to the tunes of Just for Me ads and dealt with breakage after many attempts to go natural.

The one thing that has remained constant: my glorious length. Now, I didn't have hair down to my waist but it was always a pretty decent length hitting my shoulders. My family always equated long hair with being beautiful, so the thought of short hair has never crossed my mind.
My hair care regimen was one that focused on maintaining flowing locks. I measured and rejoiced when I finally hit bra-strap length. But in 2006, I got a bob haircut before it became the "Rihanna bob" and decided I looked hideous. I swore off short hair, deeming it something other people did because pretty girls have long, straight hair.

So when I recently stepped out of the salon with a cool 90 percent of my hair chopped off, I was not only shocked but slightly fearful of how my mom would react. The minute I saw my strands slide over my shoulder and onto the ground, I knew there was no turning back. Why the 180-degree turn? Who knows! Maybe it was a conversation this summer with fellow beauty girls. Apparently I had the "face" for short hair. Or perhaps it was because I was dealing with damage, trying to transition and had no clue where to turn. The thought of a much shorter look became intriguing and off I went, pinning images for inspiration and looking up "black women with pixie cuts" on Google.

Decision day came and I went with inspiration photos stored on my phone to my stylist, who tried her very best to convince me otherwise. "Mami, tu pelo est nice. Why cut it off?" Sorry Yesenia, this was something I've committed to. With every snip came a question, a moment of doubt. Remember that time Aunty Nadine cut her hair and it never grew back? Why do you want to get rid of what makes you so pretty? My mother's voice swam through my head -- would she hate it? Also, what about my dating life? I've always gone after guys who loved long hair, so was I now ugly? My first tweet (which was released while I was still at the mercy of the hair shears) was "I look like a boy." That doubt was real, and I was certain I would hate the final look. I cussed and sank into my chair.
By the time she was done, I didn't want to look up but when I did, I think the shock was apparent. There, in front of the same stylist I've been going to for eight years, I looked like a new me. I loved it! I have cheekbones! Did my neck get longer? I walked around Brooklyn with pride. Gone were the insecurities and I truly felt liberated. Nothing to hide behind.

It's amazing how much something as small as hair can impact your attitude. Why are we so connected to something that grows back as quickly as you can cut it? And if it won't grow, slap on some extensions! If you told me a year ago I wouldn't have the hair I've always known, I would have laughed in your face. Now I don't even want to go back and am even contemplating super pixie -- more like Rihanna late 2012.

Oh, and my mom? She's getting used to it. She said, "You didn't even have this short amount of hair when you were born!" And she even called me pretty the other day. Who would've thought?

```````````````
What say you?

I think every woman should shave her hair off at least once in her life. But that's just me. The thought of the same length hair with a few trims in between drives me crazy, LOL! I did 2 BC's already. And I am itching for another one. I am happy she did it. It feels great. :)

I think every woman should shave her hair off at least once in her life. But that's just me. The thought of the same length hair with a few trims in between drives me crazy, LOL! I did 2 BC's already. And I am itching for another one. I am happy she did it. It feels great. :)
I agree...when I did it, I almost passed out:lol:...but, after awhile I was was happy I did it. I did another cut before I left NY and now I am letting it grow back again.

I love your siggy picture....beautiful!!!

Glorious length? Uh, okay. :look:

I was hoping her new short hair was natural; just yesterday I saw a really awesome short(ish) natural that actually had me tempted to cut my hair short. (Of course, factoring in shrinkage, she was probably close to SL stretched, :lol:.)

I expected her to be waist length and chopped up to a twa or something....

Shoulder length to a boy cut? OK......
Glorious?

meh.

Maybe I just have a warped view of what "long" is.

I wanna check out her blog, i'm a blogophile.

Glorious?

meh.

You would NEVER see me volunteering to cut my hair super short (I know I would not look good) and even I cut my hair from APL to about her length in the '90s - it was straightened though.

You would NEVER see me volunteering to cut my hair super short (I know I would not look good) and even I cut my hair from APL to about her length in the '90s - it was straightened though.

::looks at your siggie::

::gets seasick from those pretty waves::

girl you better not cut that hair of yours!!!!:grin:

::looks at your siggie::

::gets seasick from those pretty waves::

girl you better not cut that hair of yours!!!!:grin:

LMAO! Sometimes I threaten my hair, ie. 'If it doesn't get to X length by XX-XX-20XX, I'm starting over', but I never follow through on my promises.

The shortest I've cut my hair was a style like the one Toni Braxton had when she first came out. I also had a version of the Halle and Anita Baker haircut. It was fun.

Glorious?

meh.

I was hoping her new short hair was natural; just yesterday I saw a really awesome short(ish) natural that actually had me tempted to cut my hair short. (Of course, factoring in shrinkage, she was probably close to SL stretched, :lol:.)

"Glorious Length"

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:
Yall so mean!:lachen:I mean, I agree but c'mon let her be great.:lol:
Whimsy,

I'd say your hair looks glorious.

Interesting discussion in the comments:

Waldimore: Hair grows back. What's the big deal about cutting it?

AfroGoddess: I agree with you for the most part, but I think that there's a racial component to this.

For a lot of Black folks, we can grow our hair out, but not down our backs. In order for us to grow out hair and have it flow down our backs we have to relax it. And since relaxing our hair is ultimately unhealthy for our hair, doing so means that it breaks off, thereby denying us length. So if you can grow your hair long with relaxed hair it means that you pay a lot of attention to your hair, or you're just lucky.

Look around and you'll rarely see Black women with relaxed hair (that isn't weaved hair) that falls to their backs. You'll find thick hair (like Oprah's) or shoulder length hair, but we really can't achieve that "to the bra strap" length.

Now if you have natural hair then its healthy enough to get that length. You'll see Black women with long locks, for example.

:look::look::look:

Interesting discussion in the comments:

Waldimore: Hair grows back. What's the big deal about cutting it?

AfroGoddess: I agree with you for the most part, but I think that there's a racial component to this.

For a lot of Black folks, we can grow our hair out, but not down our backs. In order for us to grow out hair and have it flow down our backs we have to relax it. And since relaxing our hair is ultimately unhealthy for our hair, doing so means that it breaks off, thereby denying us length. So if you can grow your hair long with relaxed hair it means that you pay a lot of attention to your hair, or you're just lucky.

Look around and you'll rarely see Black women with relaxed hair (that isn't weaved hair) that falls to their backs. You'll find thick hair (like Oprah's) or shoulder length hair, but we really can't achieve that "to the bra strap" length.

Now if you have natural hair then its healthy enough to get that length. You'll see Black women with long locks, for example.

:look::look::look:

:lol:
that's the comment i responded to last night.

The hair snob in me was like what long hair? LOL :lachen:

Perdoname!

Oh My God, thank you! I felt so guilty for thinking that! :look:

LHCF has turned me into such a hair snob!

Sent from my android tablet using LHCF App

I KNOW because I was thinking that's long hair? I don't think it's lhcf either. I would never believe that is long hair, ever even before lhcf. Not to say that my definition hasn't changed to even longer lengths now, but still...her hair is not "glorious" in any way to me, but I guess if it is to her...rock on:rolleyes:.

I was also thinking it's not that big of a deal to cut it that short, it will be back in no time to her current length.:look:

I do think she looks better with short hair, though.

Last edited:
She didn't want it but she sure went out of her way to let people know it used to be longer. If she didn't want it, what's with all the publicity. I never told anyone mine used to be longer when I cut mine down to a short bob. I didn't care that much.

Anyway to each his own. It's not that big of a deal. It's only hair.

Last edited:
She didn't want it but she sure went out of her way to let people know it used to be longer. If she didn't want it, what's with all the publicity. I never told anyone mine used to be longer when I cut mine down to a short bob. I didn't care that much.

Anyway to each his own. It's not that big of a deal. It's only hair.

Good for her for cutting it and feeling good

If I wrote an article it would be about how I did the Big Chop and I hated my short hair until it grew APL LOL :grin:

Good for her for cutting it and feeling good

If I wrote an article it would be about how I did the Big Chop and I hated my short hair until it grew APL LOL :grin:

It's great if she really feels good about it even if it wasn't really that long, This was my real life story. When it was short I had to curl it everyday. Hated it! LOL

Last edited:
Back